Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I posted this in a discussion thread about the Hansshow audio upgrade but thought it might be better to create a separate thread focused on this new system. Tesla Model 3 Complete Aftermarket Subwoofer Package | BE-TM3-VSW10S2-PACKAGE This is a complete system with custom enclosure, amp, bass adjustment remote, full install kit, and line-out converter.

It's nice to see another option and this one seems super new for the Model 3 so I haven't found any reviews at all. However, the company itself seems to have a really extensive line of mobile audio and this is their sole focus. The thing that strikes me the most is their fiberglass enclosure which looks amazing (rear view below) and is probably the ideal enclosure material for the car audio environment for many reasons of one which is the ability to get an intricate shape which allows maximizing volume without sacrificing as much space. Rectangular boxes are great in the home environment but aren't efficient in the car environment.

I did see that they also make an enclosure for the Model S which has been around for a while so that may be a good indicator on the quality of this unit.

I reached out to the company and asked them a few questions to which they responded in about an hour. So here are some of the things I learned:

• The kit is compatible with both premium and non-premium Model 3s
  • They are working on detailed instructions for DIY installation
  • There are no online reviews as of yet but the actual subwoofer driver is their NVX VSW104v2 which has several online reviews. It is a tried and true driver that they have sold stand-alone for many years.
  • If enough interest, they will do a group buy.
nvx sub back.jpg

Interested in seeing the instructions for this. I have seen a few different ways to install an amp to a M3 and all had some issues. Equipment seems standard for a amp install

Hopefully their instructions will come out or someone buys this and does an install/review write up. From what I understand, if you are replacing Premium Sub with this, you tap the signal from the sub itself and if it is installed in the SR+ you tap from the front speakers. If I were to do this on an SR+ I'd look at getting the TeslaOffer wiring harness to minimize any splicing/cutting of factory wiring. As for power, they recommend sourcing from the penthouse which seems like the most common spot used.

I agree that the equipment looks "standard" but it looks very complete and tidy. From nice gauge power cables to even a nice inline fuse block (rather than the typical ATO blade fuse holder) - it all looks very well sorted out. I only know of one other dedicated Model 3 subwoofer kit option and that one is nowhere near the quality of this one - at least from appearance.

Trying hard to convince my friend with an SR+ to buy this.

btw, @Eddie1218 I notice you have a Performance so you already have a factory sub. I think the factory sub is very 'ok' but does have significant room for improvement. However, I don't feel it's a need to replace but rather a nice to replace. Whereas the non-premium cars really need a subwoofer. IMO.

Reactions: badiban
Hopefully their instructions will come out or someone buys this and does an install/review write up. From what I understand, if you are replacing Premium Sub with this, you tap the signal from the sub itself and if it is installed in the SR+ you tap from the front speakers. If I were to do this on an SR+ I'd look at getting the TeslaOffer wiring harness to minimize any splicing/cutting of factory wiring. As for power, they recommend sourcing from the penthouse which seems like the most common spot used.

I agree that the equipment looks "standard" but it looks very complete and tidy. From nice gauge power cables to even a nice inline fuse block (rather than the typical ATO blade fuse holder) - it all looks very well sorted out. I only know of one other dedicated Model 3 subwoofer kit option and that one is nowhere near the quality of this one - at least from appearance.

Trying hard to convince my friend with an SR+ to buy this.

btw, @Eddie1218 I notice you have a Performance so you already have a factory sub. I think the factory sub is very 'ok' but does have significant room for improvement. However, I don't feel it's a need to replace but rather a nice to replace. Whereas the non-premium cars really need a subwoofer. IMO.

Have some audio equipment from a previous project that I would like to install. Haven't heard the stock system but currently plan on doing a sub/amp install.

fyi, I contacted NVX to clarify a couple things. In the install video above, the factory sub (premium system) was running in addition to theirs. The video does not show the wire connections but they tapped the grey connector at the sub for signal, power, and ground for the line-out convertor (LOC). Everything was tapped via military splices. What I forgot to ask was whether they tested it without the factory sub attached. I think there's a chance it may sound better with the factory sub detached but that is easy enough to test. If I didn't have the premium system I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
Model 3 premium NVX LOC wiring.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mattAUT
Hmmm is tapping at the Penthouse the best option? I have seen some folks saying to go straight to the battery. Was there ever a consensus on the safest place to tap with no errors/issues? Also the system is currently “sold out” unfortunately

Hmmm is tapping at the Penthouse the best option? I have seen some folks saying to go straight to the battery. Was there ever a consensus on the safest place to tap with no errors/issues? Also the system is currently “sold out” unfortunately
I can't say this for fact but from the posts I've read it seems less problematic to tap at the penthouse overall. Of course we are talking about a Tesla and every software update can change things. I also suspect that the errors are current related; that is higher current = higher chance of an error. Based on the amp NVX chose for this system (a small class D amp) I'm guessing they took this into consideration. If in doubt about the power source I would just stick with NVX's recommendation so if you have a problem that's one issue ruled out.

Reactions: derichio02
Id be interested in this as well for my SR+. I’ve ordered a Match 7DSP amp to run the whole show, so just need the sun and enclosure.
I've never heard of the Match 7DSP amp so I googled it. Specs look good! At approximately 6" x 5" x 2" this thing puts out a lot of power. 7 channels with Burr-Brown converters, low distortion, and good s/n ratios. Should work nicely.

I've never heard of the Match 7DSP amp so I googled it. Specs look good! At approximately 6" x 5" x 2" this thing puts out a lot of power. 7 channels with Burr-Brown converters, low distortion, and good s/n ratios. Should work nicely.

Yeah, it's a pretty amazing piece. The local audio shop does a lot of high end installs with it. It's basically a Helix DSP crammed into a tiny space. It's super efficient on power too compared to other DSP/amps, so great for an EV. My plan is to use the two sub channels to run a DVC sub, and the other 5 channels to basically run the front stage. I'll just run my rear doors off the ICE (I don't have rear deck speakers in my SR+)

Reactions: kiNGng3
Yeah, it's a pretty amazing piece. The local audio shop does a lot of high end installs with it. It's basically a Helix DSP crammed into a tiny space. It's super efficient on power too compared to other DSP/amps, so great for an EV. My plan is to use the two sub channels to run a DVC sub, and the other 5 channels to basically run the front stage. I'll just run my rear doors off the ICE (I don't have rear deck speakers in my SR+)
Smart planning. I think a lot of people forget that power efficiency is important on an EV. Also the 2 sub channels sounds perfect for the NVX sub since it is a DVC driver.