Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is an awesome custom solution, and really the price isn't bad for all that you get. I would like to point out that it may be overkill for many people though. You could get a simple powered subwoofer, such as the Rockford Fosgate P300-10 or many other solutions for $200 - $300 and put it in the lower trunk compartment. No special converters are needed because the amp in the powered subs accepts high level signals that you can tap right from the factory sub (or from the door speakers if non-premium system). It also has turn-on sense so no turn on signal needs to be run either. You would lose the use of the lower compartment but not the use of the charge port release or the left trunk light. And save $500 or so. :)

Reactions: fossilcreek
I'd be interested in a group buy, provided it doesn't cause errors/12V battery issues eventually...

Not sure if any company selling electronic upgrades, audio or otherwise, can guarantee the absence of errors especially when software upgrades can change the way the car reacts to current draw. At least NVX appears to have chosen some components that have a balance of low power draw to performance and although not a lot of reviews, there hasn't been any reports of errors that I am aware of.

I think this is an awesome custom solution, and really the price isn't bad for all that you get. I would like to point out that it may be overkill for many people though. You could get a simple powered subwoofer, such as the Rockford Fosgate P300-10 or many other solutions for $200 - $300 and put it in the lower trunk compartment. No special converters are needed because the amp in the powered subs accepts high level signals that you can tap right from the factory sub (or from the door speakers if non-premium system). It also has turn-on sense so no turn on signal needs to be run either. You would lose the use of the lower compartment but not the use of the charge port release or the left trunk light. And save $500 or so. :)

Although I haven't heard this system, the few reviews I have seen conclude this to be a effective add-on. Definitely not for everyone but I'm quite confident that it will sound much better than the typical under-seat style all-in-one subs. Some people value having the lower trunk compartment and I know I have personally had occasions where stuff I stored in the lower compartment barely fit so many people probably wouldn't want to lose anymore space. The LOC is not really a 'special' converter and rather it simply takes a high level signal like the all-in-one sub and converts it to a line-out for the amp. This stuff is just all built in to the all-in-one whereas the NVX system has the LOC, amp, sub as separate pieces. Definitely there are advantages of a single box solution and that may be a better way to go for some folks. I think the biggest factor for the cost difference is the fiberglass enclosure and a good enclosure makes the most difference in a sub's performance. If I were to guess, a stereo shop would charge more than the cost of this whole system to custom make a fiberglass enclosure like the NVX one.

Hello Everyone, long time lurker on these forums. I've been following this thread for a while now so finally decided to create an account and chime in.

I also purchased the NVX BOOM kit for the TM3 but I replaced the kit VADM1 with an JL Audio 500/1 (500W at 2ohm). Purchased through Sonic Electronix who I think has a direct partnership with NVX. I was able to snag everything for $800 out the door tax included. I think if you're able to speak to a Sonic Electronix support rep, they can give you a discount for y'all that can't wait for the group buy.

I plan on doing the install during President's day so will update y'all with my set up with the juicier amp.

Reactions: Skione65

I had actually purchased an entire kit to install a Rockford-Fosgate sub and amp but eventually decided to return it and get the NVX. The RF setup, after enclosure etc set me back about $500. So the NVX ended up being about $220 more for the custom molded enclosure that fits in the well. This was for a comparable powered sub and amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlr1000
Hello Everyone, long time lurker on these forums. I've been following this thread for a while now so finally decided to create an account and chime in.

I also purchased the NVX BOOM kit for the TM3 but I replaced the kit VADM1 with an JL Audio 500/1 (500W at 2ohm). Purchased through Sonic Electronix who I think has a direct partnership with NVX. I was able to snag everything for $800 out the door tax included. I think if you're able to speak to a Sonic Electronix support rep, they can give you a discount for y'all that can't wait for the group buy.

I plan on doing the install during President's day so will update y'all with my set up with the juicier amp.

@cdub715,

What are you currently running? Premium Audio?

Ski

Correct! Premium audio. I have a 2019 LR AWD TM3 if that makes a difference

Thanks! Looking forward to the write up! Are you planning to run the NVX sub with the OEM concurrently? I’m running a 2018 P3D+. Premium Audio as well. Love the sound but what drives me crazy is the sound field/stage is always front based from the windshield esp. the Bass (Absolutely NO BASS from the rear). If you move the stage to center of the car or even to the rear everything up front just dies. And you NEVER get any base in the rear. Hoping the NVX would solve that.

Ski

Ok folks, for those of you interested in a GB I contacted NVX and here's the details:

Use code TMCGROUP for 10% off! That brings this regularly priced $720 kit down to $648 with included shipping in the US. They will keep this open for 2 weeks.

As mentioned I came across this sub kit and was quite impressed with the design and execution so I emailed them to ask some questions. I told them that a few of you expressed interest in the group buy so here it is. I've emailed a couple of the guys at NVX including the installer in their video and they've all been very helpful and professional.

If you buy this kit and are the social media type, contact NVX and I'm sure they'd give you some perks. They seem like pretty progressive guys.

I installed this system in also. Everything is wired in except for the Sub. Because Fedex lost my subwoofer so Nvx is sending out a replacement. I was thinking of changing out the amp to a larger one also depending on how it sounds with the 320W one... I'm just worried it might put too much of a draw on the system and cause some errors...

I installed this system in also. Everything is wired in except for the Sub. Because Fedex lost my subwoofer so Nvx is sending out a replacement. I was thinking of changing out the amp to a larger one also depending on how it sounds with the 320W one... I'm just worried it might put too much of a draw on the system and cause some errors...
Welcome to TMC first time poster. I think an extra review would be welcome so looking forward to your comments. I think you are on the right track to just try the system out with the included amp first. Maybe it will be sufficient. The extra draw from a bigger amp is definitely a concern. My theory is to use the amp with the least power draw that is sufficient for your audio needs.

Welcome to TMC first time poster. I think an extra review would be welcome so looking forward to your comments. I think you are on the right track to just try the system out with the included amp first. Maybe it will be sufficient. The extra draw from a bigger amp is definitely a concern. My theory is to use the amp with the least power draw that is sufficient for your audio needs.

yeah I’d be really careful about too much power draw. There are several posts on the other M3 subwoofer thread about getting the Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power error. I’ve had this error when they were working out the kinks in the Ohmmu lithium battery and it sucks. I found it reassuring that the NVX guys had this particular amplifier and subwoofer combo in their cars for months without errors. Fwiw they did say they chose that amp for a combo of power and power efficiency to avoid the error.

Thanks! Looking forward to the write up! Are you planning to run the NVX sub with the OEM concurrently? I’m running a 2018 P3D+. Premium Audio as well. Love the sound but what drives me crazy is the sound field/stage is always front based from the windshield esp. the Bass (Absolutely NO BASS from the rear). If you move the stage to center of the car or even to the rear everything up front just dies. And you NEVER get any base in the rear. Hoping the NVX would solve that.

Ski

I hated that too. Travis’ extensive M3 stereo writeup confirms the stock premium stereo has no significant low bass.

Cant say I notice that sound stage problem anymore, after the install.

Tesla Model 3 Stereo - Part 2: Audio Testing

Reactions: Skione65
I believe they address the non-premium stereo in the NVX YouTube video and say you just need to run the wire up to the front. Check it out.

Yup that's all they said. I also wished they showed them installing the dsp, sub and amps rather than it already being installed and telling us what they did. I'm super new and need my hand to be held as much as possible lol.

I had actually purchased an entire kit to install a Rockford-Fosgate sub and amp but eventually decided to return it and get the NVX. The RF setup, after enclosure etc set me back about $500. So the NVX ended up being about $220 more for the custom molded enclosure that fits in the well. This was for a comparable powered sub and amp.

The P300-8P or the P300-10 are both under $250. $50 for a wiring kit, so you should be able to do either of those options for $300.