Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically, with a rear seat down I get the output I am looking for. I'm not looking for teenager mirror falling off bass, just a lot more than I get with the seats up. I think having a 2020 is also limiting my output because the rear deck is completely closed compared to earlier models that had a vent in between the rear speakers.

I believe that is true. I even saw a guy on Youtube swapping his deck to the ported one. I have a 2018 so my deck has the pass-through port. My JL 12 in sub located in the sub trunk has tons of bass now and tons of margin. I have the gain on the amp set at about 40% and the EQ on the radio set at 0 and I can feel it. o_O:) Any more than that and it gives me a headache after a few minuets.

Reactions: mattAUT and m1xmstr
Well 6" depth is about 0.5" too deep. So I did the inverted mount, no trim ring as it was too snug. Bass is amazing, a lot more like what I was looking for with the seat down. Seat up, Meh it's better but I've got more work to do.

Attachments

• PXL_20210417_161114247.jpg
    PXL_20210417_161114247.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20210417_165750833.jpg
    PXL_20210417_165750833.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 176
Been playing with it a little more. Since I installed it, I have been running the gain in the audio settings around +4 on the MCU. For fun, I decided to fold down the seats and what a difference. Sounds so much better and I had to drop the gain down to +1. Only thing with the seats down is that I notice a lot more rattles that I didn't hear when seats were up lol

Reactions: m1xmstr
Installed this kit my self, had someone experience installing audio in my previous cars Corolla, civic, audi. Pretty straightforward once understand where the wires go and what to tap. I also routed the bass knob.

Overall you get what you paid for at $700, I tried all settings from here and unplugged one of the RCA connectors as suggested and it was a cleaner sound. But I’m coming from a jl 500/1 amp and jl 10” W7, the bass is somewhat there with certain genres of music ie hiphop, but lacks on some edm songs. If I were to turn it louder clipping would occur. If there were other more powerful options I would go that route and pay more, but NVX is the only viable option that prevents battery fault error.

910AEBEB-CF57-4884-B3F9-9E737FCC34FC.jpeg

Installed this kit my self, had someone experience installing audio in my previous cars Corolla, civic, audi. Pretty straightforward once understand where the wires go and what to tap. I also routed the bass knob.

Overall you get what you paid for at $700, I tried all settings from here and unplugged one of the RCA connectors as suggested and it was a cleaner sound. But I’m coming from a jl 500/1 amp and jl 10” W7, the bass is somewhat there with certain genres of music ie hiphop, but lacks on some edm songs. If I were to turn it louder clipping would occur. If there were other more powerful options I would go that route and pay more, but NVX is the only viable option that prevents battery fault error.

View attachment 659540

I'm using a JL RD 500/1. Initially had some battery errors but those were resolved with a penthouse reset. been about 3 months with no issues what so ever. I have the OEM sub connected out of phase with the NVX.

I was actually able to do a side-by-side comparison with my JL Amp setup versus NVX VADM1 setup. At 85% volume, the bass is considerably more punchier than the VADM1. Mainly because my JL outputs 500W at 2 Ohm versus the VADM1 outputting ~320W at 2 ohm. Keep in mind, the JL amp is considerably larger than the VADM1 so you'll have to find somewhere creative to mount it if youre going for the stealth look. just my 2 cents.

Well 6" depth is about 0.5" too deep. So I did the inverted mount, no trim ring as it was too snug. Bass is amazing, a lot more like what I was looking for with the seat down. Seat up, Meh it's better but I've got more work to do.
Update 05/06/21

New Subwoofer burnt a coil in under 3 hours of use. I'm going to assume because of underpowering from the NVX amp. Amazon is awesome and will allow me the ability to return it.

Back to the NVX sub for now.

I'm back to the drawing room. PM me if you're looking to buy the NVX setup I'm considering selling mine.

Installation complete! Looks nearly factory. The LOC and amp were mounted to the plastic bracket in the stock sub location. The manual charge port release pull is JUST long enough to poke out from behind the sub enclosure, so if going this route then make sure to have it accessible. Now to vacuum the trunk and wash the car to take some "real" after pics. LOLView attachment 670292View attachment 670291

How do you like the sound?

How do you like the sound?
I've tried to balance the sound across several different genres of music, but I'm sure I'll be adjusting for a while yet. In general I'm VERY happy with the sound. The sub adds a layer of depth that was really missing with the stock setup. If cranked it'll rattle the car pretty good, but I typically prefer to keep it more balanced. If I were to do this all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to go this route.

While I'm a DIYer in a lot of things, and installed a few bits in my old Odyssey, I was thinking of have NVX do the install of this. I saw on their YT instructions that they would charge $250-350 USD to do this in Lexington, KY (or was it Louisville?). Should I do this or just try myself? My wife is aghast that I'd take apart our beautiful car, even to have them do it. Whaddya'll think? Worth it? I'd have to drive there from NYC in my SR+, which isn't just a hop either.

While I'm a DIYer in a lot of things, and installed a few bits in my old Odyssey, I was thinking of have NVX do the install of this. I saw on their YT instructions that they would charge $250-350 USD to do this in Lexington, KY (or was it Louisville?). Should I do this or just try myself? My wife is aghast that I'd take apart our beautiful car, even to have them do it. Whaddya'll think? Worth it? I'd have to drive there from NYC in my SR+, which isn't just a hop either.
Honestly I would say do it yourself. Sure it might take the better part of a day to do it, but it will take you a heck of a lot longer to drive down from NYC to have them do it. I would suggest watching a lot of different videos that involve taking panels off etc. Watch videos of several different people doing it. Everyone has their own technique. I was REALLY not looking forward to messing with the panels and possibly introducing squeaks and rattles into my ride, but seeing several other people do it on videos gave me confidence. I've taken them off and put them on a few different times and everything is still completely solid. Just take your time and you'll be fine. When hooking up everything to power, just make sure you follow directions on disconnecting the 12V battery up front and then disconnecting the main DC-DC converter, and you will be nice and safe against damaging anything.

If you're near Raleigh, is there any chance I could pay you to install this for me? I want to get the NVX sub and amp kit, but don't have the experience to install it myself. I'm looking for an installer who specifically has experience with this.

I'm in Wilmington but this was the first and only time I've worked on car audio... it has worked out great but I'm probably not the one you want installing yours... before I did it myself I did find an installer in Wilmington that had experience with Teslas, so I'm sure the Raleigh area will have someone similar. That's what I'd do in your situation.

Five months and still going strong with no electrical error messages!

Installation complete! Looks nearly factory. The LOC and amp were mounted to the plastic bracket in the stock sub location. The manual charge port release pull is JUST long enough to poke out from behind the sub enclosure, so if going this route then make sure to have it accessible. Now to vacuum the trunk and wash the car to take some "real" after pics. LOL

View attachment 670292

Installation complete! Looks nearly factory. The LOC and amp were mounted to the plastic bracket in the stock sub location. The manual charge port release pull is JUST long enough to poke out from behind the sub enclosure, so if going this route then make sure to have it accessible. Now to vacuum the trunk and wash the car to take some "real" after pics. LOLView attachment 670292View attachment 670291

I bought the Tesla Offer wire harness with subwires. I am planning to do the same like what you have done already. I have not done this kind of DIY before. How long did it take you to do? Do I need special tools?

I bought the Tesla Offer wire harness with subwires. I am planning to do the same like what you have done already. I have not done this kind of DIY before. How long did it take you to do? Do I need special tools?
This type of install isn't particularly hard, and special tools aren't required, but I would strongly suggest watching a bunch of videos on how the panels come apart and go back together. Watch videos from several different people as everyone seems to have different techniques. Follow the directions of the manufacturer of the kit you end up getting, and give yourself lots of time to do the install so that you're not rushed. Also, and this is VERY important, familiarize yourself with how to completely disconnect all power in the vehicle before making any of your final connections.

I didn't have any recent experience with stereo installations, but I used to do a lot of it back in the 90's. Without that knowledge, it would likely have taken me the weekend to complete. From start to finish, it took me 5 hours or so, but most of that was because of the failed jack nut in the NVX kit. Later, it took me another hour to do the proper tuning of the LOC and amp with a multimeter while playing a test tone. That last step was WELL worth it though because it made all the difference in the world for sound quality.