Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another subwoofer option - NVX Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any suggestions for getting more bass response in the cabin with the rear seats up? I have noticed if I have one side of the rear seats down, bass sounds much better. I did read somewhere that the 2020 has something missing in the rear deck compared to earlier versions so there must have been some opening type thing in the rear deck, does that sound familiar?

Yes, earlier models had a ported/vented rear deck. I think @n2fooz swapped his.

Found it: Some of us want to hear our Subwoofer more than we hate road noise.

I bought the NVX kit with the Alpine MRV-M500 amp. Installed it Friday after work. Easy for a middle aged guy who has been doing minor car stereo work since high school.

It worked pretty well aside from the annoying turn-on thump. Not sure how to get rid of that, the XLCA2 is supposed to prevent it but it didn’t in my case. As of yesterday about 2 hours after I finished finalizing the install and getting everything tucked away behind the interior panels and all that, it stopped working.

Troubleshooting this morning revealed that the voice coil is blown. I’m torn between waiting for NVX to send me one under warranty and just going out and buying a beefier sub. Of course I’d also have to stiffen the enclosure a bit if I start going down that rabbit hole…

@Sellout, is your auto-on selector set at 'enable'? Since you are getting a replacement sub from NVX probably best to run that for a while before sinking more $$ down and potentially end up down the rabbit hole.

Yeah that’s enabled. Sonic Electronix wants me to ship the entire kit back to them for testing at my expense. After they confirm that I’m not making this all up they’ll refund the cost of shipping and then send me back another kit.

After taking the time to meticulously wire everything in, set gain with a DMM, finalize the install the following day, hide the components, etc, I’m kinda pissed that now I have to redo it all again rather than just having them send me a new driver. They’ll never get a another dime from me.

I mean, the retail cost of this driver is something like $79. They could easily just mail one out to me and charge me for that if the driver I return isn’t blown as I say it is. Instead they want everything back. Irritating.

Could you take the driver out and try it with a conventional amp, such as a home stereo? That's what I did with all my auto speakers before installation to save me the grief of installing it only to have it not work. Once I put my Focal and Infinity drivers into my M3 I swore I was never doing it again, and that's a relatively easy install.

Yeah that’s enabled. Sonic Electronix wants me to ship the entire kit back to them for testing at my expense. After they confirm that I’m not making this all up they’ll refund the cost of shipping and then send me back another kit.

After taking the time to meticulously wire everything in, set gain with a DMM, finalize the install the following day, hide the components, etc, I’m kinda pissed that now I have to redo it all again rather than just having them send me a new driver. They’ll never get a another dime from me.

I mean, the retail cost of this driver is something like $79. They could easily just mail one out to me and charge me for that if the driver I return isn’t blown as I say it is. Instead they want everything back. Irritating.
I thought you bought directly from NVX. That service from Sonic is not good and agree I would never buy something again from a seller like that. Thanks for sharing that feedback.

I thought you bought directly from NVX. That service from Sonic is not good and agree I would never buy something again from a seller like that. Thanks for sharing that feedback.

I took some time to get clarification today. They don't need the entire kit after all, but they do want the entire subwoofer enclosure sent back. I've been thinking all this time that NVX was one of those brands that only exists because it's Sonic Electronix's house brand. Maybe that's incorrect and that's the reason they are handling this in the way they are. Ahh well, at least I know the sub did sound quite good before it stopped working, so once this is dealt with I'll have a sound system that makes me happy. I wish I had ordered directly from NVX now. At the time that I placed the order, I think there was a reason why I didn't go direct, but I can't remember what that reason was...
Could you take the driver out and try it with a conventional amp, such as a home stereo? That's what I did with all my auto speakers before installation to save me the grief of installing it only to have it not work. Once I put my Focal and Infinity drivers into my M3 I swore I was never doing it again, and that's a relatively easy install.

Oh I tested it all before the install, and it all worked flawlessly right up until I finished the install and then got myself cleaned up to go out.

Jack nut solution...Instead of drilling a larger hole and using the supplied jack nut, I used a #10-24 wall nut and a #10-24 x 1" threaded knurled nut. This way you can manually remove it gaining access to the charge port release cable without carrying around a 10mm socket.

So I pulled the sub from the enclosure today. I was hoping it might be as simple as a wire contacting the back of the cone or something along those lines..

No dice. The voice coil is rubbing up against something in the gap. You have to push way too hard to make the cone move back, and when it does move, it’s obviously dragging on something that you can feel and hear.

So this is two consecutive blown/trashed NVX subwoofers straight out of the box. This coupled with the smartass responses from their tech support guy and the fact that they made me ship the first blown sub back to them at my expense then took a week and a half to decide that I was right before shipping me another trashed subwoofer makes me say I will never choose to give NVX/SonicElectronix (one and the same) another dime of my money.

It gets better... I took another look at the box in which they shipped this sub to me, and instead of my RMA number written on it, there's a different RMA number written in someone else's handwriting. It looks like they just sent me someone else's returned sub rather than a new one. Maybe that explains why it smelled like piss when I pulled the subwoofer out of the enclosure? I'd be laughing if I wasn't so disappointed/pissed off at them.

I took a look at the mounting dimensions for this subwoofer, it really does look like a JL Audio W1 would fit in its place easily enough, so I guess I have that option.

It gets better... I took another look at the box in which they shipped this sub to me, and instead of my RMA number written on it, there's a different RMA number written in someone else's handwriting. It looks like they just sent me someone else's returned sub rather than a new one. Maybe that explains why it smelled like piss when I pulled the subwoofer out of the enclosure? I'd be laughing if I wasn't so disappointed/pissed off at them.

I took a look at the mounting dimensions for this subwoofer, it really does look like a JL Audio W1 would fit in its place easily enough, so I guess I have that option.
Was it not a new sub in a new box?

Ski

Called them today. They're initiating yet another return ticket and want me to once again pay to ship their trash back to them before they'll try to send me another one. I asked, "Is there no way that you can just send me a new subwoofer now and I can send this back after so I don't have to wait another 3-4 weeks?!"

Her- "Sorry, sir, we don't do advance returns. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Not unless you want to get the owner of your company on the phone so I can tell them that this is the worst customer service experience I've ever experienced."

Her- Chuckling, "OK sir hope you have a wonderful rest of your..." I hung up. I'm at a loss for words. I honestly can't remember a customer experience more disappointing than this. Unbelievable. Maybe the asshole tech support guy with all the smartass responses back when I first installed this kit wins after all...

I was able to get them to agree to ship me a new sub as soon as this one shows up in the Fedex tracking as “shipped” but that was all they would do. So I shipped it off today, and I emailed the customer service person back notifying her that it was shipped.

I also asked if they could spring for 2nd day air shipping for my next replacement, considering that they never refunded me the shipping cost for my first return. Doubt this will happen but I’ll report back if it does lol