Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another 'Sudden Acceleration' lawsuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nazis and White Supremacists have long claimed that science, statistics, numbers... are on their side to explain why they should rule the world because they are superior such as having better IQs than other races.

It is insensitive to joke about someone based on race or gender.

The US has elected a female-genital-grabbing commander-in-chief so it is even more important to be vigilant and to not normalize such behaviors.

People paid $300 million to see a misogynistic genital grabber in 50 Shades. So I guess people want that?

"However, research on traffic accidents actually shows that many of the groups who are often stereotyped as “bad drivers” — women, Asians, and the elderly — are actually less likely to get into accidents or break traffic laws than are people from other demographic groups. For example, a recent Australian traffic study found that Asian-born drivers had about half the risk of an accident as their Australian-born peers."

"...a 2011 Canadian study, where researchers found that recent immigrants (largely from China and India) were 40 to 50 percent less likely than long-term residents to be involved in a crash.
...The bad-Asian-driver myth can now be classified as debunked...."

Dueling Stereotypes: Bad Asian Drivers, Good At Everything

So let's make Australian and long-term Canadian residents the stereotype for bad drivers? I wonder if those studies take into account the number of hours on the road, geography, weather, etc. because I don't buy it for a minute.

I can see age playing a role in driving because of inexperience when young, and we are in peak physical condition from about age 20 to 30, as shown by the graph, then our health gets worse including our sight. I can also see gender playing a role because of things like testosterone, especially in young males, causing more aggressive driving.

But it all other cases, for me human drivers are more or less pretty the same despite the colour of their skin. Some are really good, some are really bad, and most fall somewhere in between.

It is insensitive to joke about someone based on race or gender.

Then call me insensitive since it happens with my family and friends and we laugh about it. I don't see it as mean or insensitive at all. Political correctness is ruining us which is why I believe many people pushed backed and voted for Trump. I agree with this...

Bill Maher Attacks Political Correctness, Blames ‘PC Police’ For President Trump

Last edited:
Reactions: diesel
So let's make Australian and long-term Canadian residents the stereotype for bad drivers?

The purpose is not to stereotype but to look at the numbers.

Just because I can see there are terrorists and criminals in Refugees, that doesn't mean the majority is terrorists or criminals.

Just because I see a black person on Food Stamps (SNAP), that doesn't mean most blacks are on Food Stamps: It's the opposite:

White: 40.2%
Black: 25.7%
Hispanic: 10.3%
Asian: 2.1%

Back to the traffic studies: The article mentioned National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records for traffic fatalities by race since 1999:

In 2006 crash fatalities per 100,000 people:

Native Americans--31.17
white--12.50
African American--12.31
Hispanic--12.27
Asians--4.00

The Canadian study researched more than 10,000 crashes and they theorized that new Canadians:

travel shorter distances
drive at slower speeds
are with greater caution
are with trepidation due lack of local driving experience
are with higher education and income levels due to immigration which could mean they could have had prior experience of driving...

Once, they are no longer "new" Canadians but become long-term Canadians, their driving pattern, confidence may change to longer distance, higher speed, more confidence with familiar roads...

When I point out the numbers from different studies not from one country but from US, Canada, Australia, I do not encourage anyone to attack the ones with the highest numbers.

I just want to set the records straight that the ones with lowest rate should not be viewed as highest.

Last edited:
Agreed ... but remember that most stereotypes are based on a kernel of truth :cool:

If you really want to "set the records straight" then I recommend you stop with the race, colour, numbers and statistics and tell people to judge a person by the content of their character and not by any other factor.

Oh but that would involve having to break down walls and cross divides and spending time getting to know people. Stats, profiles and labels are SO much quicker and convenient. That's why we love 'em. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Just because I see a black person on Food Stamps (SNAP), that doesn't mean most blacks are on Food Stamps: It's the opposite:

White: 40.2%
Black: 25.7%
Hispanic: 10.3%
Asian: 2.1%

This is a stupid analogy.

Population

White 63.7 %
Black 12.2 %
Hispanic 16.3 %
Asian 4.7 %

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762156.html

BTW Almost no one makes the assertion that there are terrorists and criminals among refugees therefore the the majority of refugees are terrorists or criminals. The argument is there are significant number of criminals and terrorist among some refugee subgroups therefore it is not worth the risk to allow the entire subgroup into a country.

If you really want to "set the records straight" then I recommend you stop with the race, colour, numbers and statistics and tell people to judge a person by the content of their character and not by any other factor.

People are different.

They don't deserve to be made fun of just because they don't have the same level of skills, mental capacity, physical attributes, characters and other areas...

The issue here is someone joked that Asians are bad drivers.

It is better if we find solutions for bad drivers and make the road safer regardless wither they are Asians or not.

Tesla vision is not to make a joke out of Asian bad drivers.

It will someday make its cars driverless so that even a blind person can ride a Tesla just as Google Koala prototype has demonstrated.

Reactions: Red Sage
Electric Dream wrote that someone "who drives their car into their living room lacks the necessary driving skills, regardless of who they are as a person." I think this is wrong.

In late December 2015, Preston Moore, Jr. of Houston was killed in a sudden acceleration accident. He was parking his car in the garage when his Model S suddenly accelerated, crashing through a brick wall and into the neighbor's swimming pool. Mr. Moore told his passenger to get out of the car, which she did. He apparently became entangled somehow and drowned. Both Mr. Moore and his passenger were in their 80's.

My point about Mr. Moore is that he was a man whose hand-eye coordination was far superior to the average person, qualities that translate into superior driving skills. He had been well known as an athlete all of his life. He had won numerous golf tournaments in his lifetime and only a few months before the accident was one of seven people inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. He was also an avid runner who completed 16 marathons.

It was not a lack of skill that led to Mr. Moore's tragic death. I am willing to bet that his accident, like my two sudden power launches, resulted from "Creep" being set in the off position. The torque of a Model S could easily completely demolish a typical brick veneer wall, a type of structure not built to withstand lateral impacts. The pool was the truly unfortunate circumstance.

Man-Dies-After-Crashing-Tesla-Model-S-Into-Swimming-Pool.png

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Both Mr. Moore and his passenger were in their 80's.

My point about Mr. Moore is that he was a man whose hand-eye coordination was far superior to the average person...

No disparagement to the unfortunate Mr. Moore intended, but coordination does fade with age. Anyone "in their 80's" is not going to have the coordination they did in younger years.

It was not a lack of skill that led to Mr. Moore's tragic death. I am willing to bet that his accident, like my two sudden power launches, resulted from "Creep" being set in the off position

I am puzzled by this. How on earth does having creep "off" have anything to do with sudden acceleration issues?

Reactions: bhzmark
Creep off is primary reason someone needs to step on the gas, instead of controlling the break pedal while prking

I have had creep off and find it MUCH easier to park this way. To fit in my garage, I have to lightly "tap" a large piece of cardboard I have propped against the wall to make sure I'm In all the way (my car was built before parking sensors were even an option). I used to hit it hard quite often with my former ICE just using the brake, but I can modulate my movement so finely with the Model S that I never give it more than the most gentle tap. Been doing this for 4 years now. The trick is to gently press the accelerator pedal, not slam it to the floor.

I have had creep off and find it MUCH easier to park this way. The trick is to gently press the accelerator pedal, not slam it to the floor.

Agree, no creep ever and I can confidently maneuver into the tighest spots with no problem.
Its all about the touch.

I give my DS credit - he encouraged from the very begining not to turn on creep and learn how to drive one foot as purely as possible.
He was right, I love it.

I have had creep off and find it MUCH easier to park this way. To fit in my garage, I have to lightly "tap" a large piece of cardboard I have propped against the wall to make sure I'm In all the way (my car was built before parking sensors were even an option). I used to hit it hard quite often with my former ICE just using the brake, but I can modulate my movement so finely with the Model S that I never give it more than the most gentle tap. Been doing this for 4 years now. The trick is to gently press the accelerator pedal, not slam it to the floor.

Sorry makes zero sense that someone can better control through the accelerator than the brakes in a tight parking spot when you are maneuvering for the last few inches.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
I think this must be a joke by the OP Texas ... Mr. Moores previous athletic skills are long gone by his 80s. :cool:

Electric Dream wrote that someone "who drives their car into their living room lacks the necessary driving skills, regardless of who they are as a person." I think this is wrong.
In late December 2015, Preston Moore, Jr. of Houston was killed in a sudden acceleration accident. He was parking his car in the garage when his Model S suddenly accelerated, crashing through a brick wall and into the neighbor's swimming pool. Mr. Moore told his passenger to get out of the car, which she did. He apparently became entangled somehow and drowned. Both Mr. Moore and his passenger were in their 80's. My point about Mr. Moore is that he was a man whose hand-eye coordination was far superior to the average person, qualities that translate into superior driving skills. He had been well known as an athlete all of his life. He had won numerous golf tournaments in his lifetime and only a few months before the accident was one of seven people inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. He was also an avid runner who completed 16 marathons.

In late December 2015, Preston Moore, Jr. of Houston was killed in a sudden acceleration accident. He was parking his car in the garage when his Model S suddenly accelerated, crashing through a brick wall and into the neighbor's swimming pool. Mr. Moore told his passenger to get out of the car, which she did. He apparently became entangled somehow and drowned. Both Mr. Moore and his passenger were in their 80's.

My point about Mr. Moore is that he was a man whose hand-eye coordination was far superior to the average person, qualities that translate into superior driving skills. He had been well known as an athlete all of his life. He had won numerous golf tournaments in his lifetime and only a few months before the accident was one of seven people inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. He was also an avid runner who completed 16 marathons.

It was not a lack of skill that led to Mr. Moore's tragic death. I am willing to bet that his accident, like my two sudden power launches, resulted from "Creep" being set in the off position. The torque of a Model S could easily completely demolish a typical brick veneer wall, a type of structure not built to withstand lateral impacts. The pool was the truly unfortunate circumstance.

View attachment 216789

I'm not sure either if you're being serious, but just in case you are...

Being a skilled golfer does not guarantee you're a good driver and vice versa, even ignoring what age does to your reaction times and hand/eye coordination.

I know this because I've won many car races and a couple of motor racing championships in my time, but I've never been able to hit a golf ball to save my life, even with some lessons!

And how come Arnold Palmer didn't win the Indy 500 and Mario Andretti doesn't own a green blazer?

I don't want to comment on Mr Moore's unfortunate demise, but there's enough evidence in the Ji Chang Son incident to indicate it was driver error and below-par driving skills which led to him now having an open plan garage/lounge area.

Sorry makes zero sense that someone can better control through the accelerator than the brakes in a tight parking spot when you are maneuvering for the last few inches.

Well, not in my case. Before with my ICE, if my foot slipped off the brake or I intentionally lifted it off, the car would lurch forward. (Lurch is a strong word, but when trying to inch forward to tap a piece of cardboard in my garage, it accurately describes it). Now if my foot comes off or I take it off either pedal, the car sits still.

Reactions: wesley888