Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sudden Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leased a BMW i3 for a couple years before I purchased my S and every time I went over a bump while slowing down, it would lose regenerative braking and it did indeed feel like it was accelerating. I had to be careful in certain spots. If anyone in the NJ area is familiar with the eastbound Harrison exit on I-280, you go down a hill and right before the traffic light there's a bunch of bumps and the i3 lost it there every time. The S doesn't do it a that spot, but there may be circumstances in which it does.

100% agree with all of this and would add that this can happen in any car with ABS when it encounters a sudden patch of gravel, oil etc. The feeling the driver has is that the car is increasing its speed, but it's just not decreasing at the original rate or the ABS is locking/unlocking the brakes rapidly.
100% agree. Happens to me daily at the same spot at a stop light on my way home.

If you think this is reoccurring problem, a nice, reliable way to completely exclude--to your own belief--the possibility of accidental petal application is to set up a cheapo dash cam at your feet, able to see your foot as it's applied to the pedals. Then you'd also have evidence to present to Tesla techs.

You should be able to identify the moments of 'acceleration' by your aforementioned screaming. ;-)

Reactions: Omnomynous
@Electric Dream , definitely the regen is cutting off, but there is more going on than that. It disables itself every winter when it's cold enough and you get that weird feeling as you let off the accelerator that the car is sliding. I know that sensation well. But in this case it's not just coasting, it's accelerating. It literally scared me. The road was clear and dry and there was no reason for the car to compensate for any traction issue, it's just baffling.

And I have a blackvue, so I went to check the video, but the stupid thing stopped recording back on 5/22, card is failing. So I ordered a new 128 sd card and am gonna put the rearview cam in the foot well tonight.

@Enginerd , you are exactly right. I messaged Tesla to ask them to check the logs right after I made my appointment, hope they get to them in time. Need that data.

If you think this is reoccurring problem, a nice, reliable way to completely exclude--to your own belief--the possibility of accidental petal application is to set up a cheapo dash cam at your feet, able to see your foot as it's applied to the pedals. Then you'd also have evidence to present to Tesla techs.

You should be able to identify the moments of 'acceleration' by your aforementioned screaming. ;-)
great minds :)

If you run the camera, try and get the car's speed and power meter in view. I really don't think it is accelerating i.e. applying power by itself. It may feel that way, but you need some objective way to measure what's actually going on.
An app on your phone might help. I don't think a lot of those are particularly accurate for this sort of measurement, but maybe worth a try.

@commasign The universe would make so much more sense if I could just remember it that way. Every time I hear about these incidents I always think the people involved are the same ones who think Alexa is sentient. As a person who laughs at those people it's very confusing to have suddenly joined them.

The car stopped, so I definitely hit the right pedal. I didn't switch pedals, but the car definitely accelerated. The car accelerated with my foot on the brake, but the car definitely can't do that.

100% agree with all of this and would add that this can happen in any car with ABS when it encounters a sudden patch of gravel, oil etc. The feeling the driver has is that the car is increasing its speed, but it's just not decreasing at the original rate or the ABS is locking/unlocking the brakes rapidly.
I've noticed this behavior on a road surface with sudden drop in elevation (where two slabs of concrete vary by more than 1-2 inches from one another). It feels like the car temporarily releases brakes (hence "acceleration").

I agree with the previous posters. I have a consistent off-ramp that does this every time. There is a bump in the pavement (not quite speed bump sized but obvious) and if I am coasting with regenerative braking set high or lightly feathering the brakes, the deceleration is interrupted for some reason when I hit the bump.

It’s not slick when this happens. I do not use creep mode. It feels the same as when regenerative braking is turned off or the charge level is max and it’s disabled.

No idea why a road bump would cause this, but it’s a consistent quirk I’ve gotten used to. It does not accelerate, it just reduces the rate of deceleration briefly.

It did panic me a bit the first couple times because it’s close to the stop sign at the end of the off-ramp.

If anyone wants to have a go in SoCal- Southbound CA-2 exit at York blvd., just south of CA-134.

Reactions: croman
...you shouldn't drive barefoot...

I advocate barefoot driving because I can feel which pedal is which by their texture.

...In emergencies, you risk retracting your foot from the brake pedal because it hurts to push so hard, right at the moment you need to brake the hardest to avoid a collision.

It might be true with old brakes without power assist but I've found no problem with power-assisted braking such as the way I pressed real hard with my barefoot below:

And when I least expected:

At the risk of outing myself as delusional, I just joined the sudden acceleration club. Never quite believed the stories, but I'm not so sure now.

So I had a few incidents recently, nothing major and no accidents, but startling. Had the last one today. What happens is that the car lurches forward as I start to brake after coasting to a light in traffic. Happened in the rain a few times and I thought maybe I hit a slick patch or something, but today it was dry and it happened again. Each time just after coasting right as I ease into the brake. Sped up for just an instant, but I stopped it each time by screaming and braking harder. And I am certain that my foot was on the brake the whole time or I have already lost my marbles and you can stop reading now.

Have an appointment scheduled to give the mechanic a chuckle, but I also have a theory under my tinfoil hat. I think this might be to do with the regerative brake. I suspect that while coasting on regen, once in a blue moon, the brake pedal somehow disengages the regen before the brakes kick in, so after decelerating on regen, the car tries to jump back to that sweet spot where it coasts like an ICE car. It definitely speeds *up* before the scream braking, like its assuming the accelerator must be pressed to have disengaged both brakes.

So I punch the brake harder and it works, I never assume I on the wrong pedal. But I also want to believe that outside of AP, nothing should make it accelerate but the accelerator, so that leaves me with an issue with the regen/brake transition or a very selective kind of psychosis.

Don't know if or how this relates to other reports, but I am hoping to get it settled soon. Can't imagine not driving my car. I am obligated to profess my love for family, but that S is the best thing that isn't married or related to me.

If you can keep an eye on the power meter in the car, you should be able to see if regenerative braking is cutting out as you describe.

Oh, and you shouldn't drive barefoot. In emergencies, you risk retracting your foot from the brake pedal because it hurts to push so hard, right at the moment you need to brake the hardest to avoid a collision.

Yeah, no. If it's an emergency, I don't care if it hurts my foot (which it doesn't). I routinely drive barefoot in the summer... have for years. It's safer and more comfortable than driving in flip-flops, which can easily get caught on the pedals.

@commasign The universe would make so much more sense if I could just remember it that way. Every time I hear about these incidents I always think the people involved are the same ones who think Alexa is sentient. As a person who laughs at those people it's very confusing to have suddenly joined them.

The car stopped, so I definitely hit the right pedal. I didn't switch pedals, but the car definitely accelerated. The car accelerated with my foot on the brake, but the car definitely can't do that.

Pedal misapplication is very common. The brake and accelerator pedals are pretty close together such that any slight deviation from your normal seating position (body slightly shifted, tilted, or rotated one way or another) or perhaps even the clothing you're wearing (new shoes, new socks, etc.,) could lead to a misjudgment of where your foot should go. I've seen and experienced first hand when accidentally driving using my wife's seating profile, or slightly shifted in my seat while trying to retrieve something I dropped, etc., Nothing significantly enough to cause an accident, but just a momentary disorientation where I might catch the edge of a pedal where I thought my foot was dead center on the pedal. I've seen a relative repeatedly pressing both pedals cause his feet and shoes are too big.

What may be happening here is that your technique for braking is to keep your heel in the same place and rotate the front of your foot towards the brake. Because the two pedals are close together, you could be inadvertently pressing both pedals together as you increase braking force. Because the brake pedal is more forward than the accelerator you won't notice this until you press harder. As your foot covers both pedals it feels like the car suddenly accelerates. As a safety measure, all Teslas will reduce/cut the throttle (and beep) when both pedals are pressed but not immediately, and this can be very disconcerting while braking and approaching stationary traffic.
Not possible on a Tesla. If the brake pedal is engaged at all, motor power is completely disabled.

See this post and this one for a full understanding of why a Tesla CANNOT undergo acceleration while pressing the brake pedal.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Didn't read the whole thread, but skimmed the OP.

First, let's be clear that the car definitely did not accelerate at all here (unless the OP did hit the accelerator pedal). At worst, regen was cut to nothing and the car coasted. This caused a decrease in deceleration, but the car did not speed up on its own (unless this was downhill or something, but no power was put to the wheels is what I mean).

Without seeing the logs or anything, my guess is that this is actually a brake sensor issue, or an ABS issue... most likely the latter.

Newer Teslas (AP1+) have brake position sensors, as well as brake pressure sensors. These help the car apply an appropriate amount of regen while friction braking force increases, in order to not have a situation where the car ends up with less deceleration when you move to the brake. If these are registering more brake application than actual, the car may be commanding less regen than it should be.

A problem with the ABS can cause similar behavior if the car believes the wheels under regen lost traction. This would be evident by a TC "light" on the dash, though.

An unexpected loss of regen can and usually does feel like car is accelerating, because of the delta-acceleration registered by your butt dyno (negative acceleration to zero)... but it is in fact just no longer decelerating under regen.

Keep the power meter up. If you see this happen again, my bet is that it's a loss of regen (power meter to nothing or close to it).

Tesla should be able to confirm with the logs. If it's an ABS issue, should be a simple fix. The brake sensor side of things is harder to track down and confirm, though.

For the record, I've only personally known of this issue occurring in one Tesla vehicle... so it's not like a widespread issue or anything. Sensors go bad. It's just a car thing.

At the risk of outing myself as delusional, I just joined the sudden acceleration club. Never quite believed the stories, but I'm not so sure now.

So I had a few incidents recently, nothing major and no accidents, but startling. Had the last one today. What happens is that the car lurches forward as I start to brake after coasting to a light in traffic. Happened in the rain a few times and I thought maybe I hit a slick patch or something, but today it was dry and it happened again. Each time just after coasting right as I ease into the brake. Sped up for just an instant, but I stopped it each time by screaming and braking harder. And I am certain that my foot was on the brake the whole time or I have already lost my marbles and you can stop reading now.

Have an appointment scheduled to give the mechanic a chuckle, but I also have a theory under my tinfoil hat. I think this might be to do with the regerative brake. I suspect that while coasting on regen, once in a blue moon, the brake pedal somehow disengages the regen before the brakes kick in, so after decelerating on regen, the car tries to jump back to that sweet spot where it coasts like an ICE car. It definitely speeds *up* before the scream braking, like its assuming the accelerator must be pressed to have disengaged both brakes.

So I punch the brake harder and it works, I never assume I on the wrong pedal. But I also want to believe that outside of AP, nothing should make it accelerate but the accelerator, so that leaves me with an issue with the regen/brake transition or a very selective kind of psychosis.

Don't know if or how this relates to other reports, but I am hoping to get it settled soon. Can't imagine not driving my car. I am obligated to profess my love for family, but that S is the best thing that isn't married or related to me.

I used to experience this with my Volt. Not with my MS, so far.