Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Sudden Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't believe it happened to me. Today, I'm pulling in to a straight in parking spot adjacent to 2 vehicles, right next to a speed bump in the parking lot, that was a bit awkward getting over. foot lightly on brake, iunexpected sudden acceleration directly into a retaining wall 4 ft in front of the parking spot and in a slight ditch. WTAF TESLA?
It's a 2017 Model S 75, running software 2019.20.4.3 57296af

a speed bump in the parking lot, that was a bit awkward getting over. foot lightly on brake, iunexpected sudden acceleration
I'm guessing, but I expect your sudden acceleration (actually, sudden lack of deceleration) was due to the combination of braking while riding over the awkward speed bump. See posts up thread about bumps and losing braking power.

Creep on or off? If on, that adds to it and may mean you accelerated. Again, just a hunch.

This is the result of sudden acceleration bug

Attachments

• IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 119
I'm guessing, but I expect your sudden acceleration (actually, sudden lack of deceleration) was due to the combination of braking while riding over the awkward speed bump. See posts up thread about bumps and losing braking power.

Creep on or off? If on, that adds to it and may mean you accelerated. Again, just a hunch.
Creep on. No way I accelerated.

Sorry, but I just don’t buy your story. If your foot was lightly on the brake, and the car accelerated your natural reaction would be to mash on the brake, which would have stopped the car before hitting the wall. If however you were using one pedal driving and your foot was slightly touching the accelerator instead, you could have inadvertently hit the pedal when going over the speed bump. Thinking you had your foot on brake instead of the accelerator, mashing on the pedal would have driven you right into the wall. This exact scenario happened to me 3 years ago. I was pulling into a parking space thinking my foot was on the brake when it was actually lightly on the accelerator. When I pushed on the accelerator by mistake my car lurched forward. I mashed the pedal which only made the car accelerate faster, going over a concrete parking barrier and ending up in a ditch. Without any significant body damage visible, it was a $4000+ repair job to fix the bumper mounts and replace the AC radiator. At the time I swore my foot was on the brake, but I realized later that was not possible. You could ask Tesla to check the logs. I think you will find that you mistakenly hit the accelerator.

Sorry, but I just don’t buy your story. If your foot was lightly on the brake, and the car accelerated your natural reaction would be to mash on the brake, which would have stopped the car before hitting the wall. If however you were using one pedal driving and your foot was slightly touching the accelerator instead, you could have inadvertently hit the pedal when going over the speed bump. Thinking you had your foot on brake instead of the accelerator, mashing on the pedal would have driven you right into the wall. This exact scenario happened to me 3 years ago. I was pulling into a parking space thinking my foot was on the brake when it was actually lightly on the accelerator. When I pushed on the accelerator by mistake my car lurched forward. I mashed the pedal which only made the car accelerate faster, going over a concrete parking barrier and ending up in a ditch. Without any significant body damage visible, it was a $4000+ repair job to fix the bumper mounts and replace the AC radiator. At the time I swore my foot was on the brake, but I realized later that was not possible. You could ask Tesla to check the logs. I think you will find that you mistakenly hit the accelerator.
I will certainly ask Tesla to check the logs, but I am certain I had my right foot on the brake. The ditch past the incline may have contributed to the brakes being less effectiive. Back wheels off the ground very quickly on that grade.

I meant the car accelerated, or it felt like the car accelerated due to those factors. Not that you hit the accelerometer.
The strangest thing is that the retaining wall (see picture above) is only 4 feet away/. It felt like a full throttle acceleration, and my scream reaction was WHAT? As this did not make sense to me. Almost stopped foot lightly on the brake, and suddenly I'm crashed into the retaining wall. I called Tesla service today, and they seem to know about this... First Question.... Was creep mode on?

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
...right next to a speed bump in the parking lot, that was a bit awkward getting over. foot lightly on brake...

You may have thought your foot was on the brake but the logs will show otherwise.

If the speed bump was a bit awkward to get over you probably had to add a little power to do that, but failed to relocate your foot back to the brake.

There is no bug, just occasional misapplication of the pedals unfortunately. .

The strangest thing is that the retaining wall (see picture above) is only 4 feet away/. It felt like a full throttle acceleration, and my scream reaction was WHAT? As this did not make sense to me. Almost stopped foot lightly on the brake, and suddenly I'm crashed into the retaining wall. I called Tesla service today, and they seem to know about this... First Question.... Was creep mode on?

Man I feel bad for you, that really sucks, what a PITA.
But I do think this is totally different from the accidental putting the car into TACC in a car park situation.

I think the problem is creep mode, I don't use it and don't like it, I come from manuals and the auto's creeping forward always felt strange to me, I'm glad I can turn it off on my Model 3.
I think the problem could be that creep mode was pulling the car forward, you had your foot on the brake, then you needed some extra juice to get over the bump, moved foot to accelerator, then it's just a small mental switch to think your foot is still on the brake and as you try to stop the car it just goes faster and faster.
I think the takeaway from this is that one foot driving (regen braking) and creep mode don't go together, too easy to think your foot is still braking when it's creeping forward or slowing down with regen, without creep on the accelerator and brake are more mentally compartmentalized with a direct feedback loop - creep mode breaks this feedback loop and I think probably leads to these accidents.

Man I feel bad for you, that really sucks, what a PITA.
But I do think this is totally different from the accidental putting the car into TACC in a car park situation.

I think the problem is creep mode, I don't use it and don't like it, I come from manuals and the auto's creeping forward always felt strange to me, I'm glad I can turn it off on my Model 3.
I think the problem could be that creep mode was pulling the car forward, you had your foot on the brake, then you needed some extra juice to get over the bump, moved foot to accelerator, then it's just a small mental switch to think your foot is still on the brake and as you try to stop the car it just goes faster and faster.
I think the takeaway from this is that one foot driving (regen braking) and creep mode don't go together, too easy to think your foot is still braking when it's creeping forward or slowing down with regen, without creep on the accelerator and brake are more mentally compartmentalized with a direct feedback loop - creep mode breaks this feedback loop and I think probably leads to these accidents.
I wish you all could experience what I did. Almost stopped to slamming into a wall. Not pilot error. This is a real problem.

WTAF TESLA?
Your foot was also on the accelerator. As you pushed harder and harder it went right into the wall.

bit awkward getting over.

The "bit awkward part" took you away from your normal routine of pulling in carefully.

Mistakes happen all the time. Now all that insurance we all carry for our mistakes and the mistakes of others kicks in.

If Creep mode is throwing people off, turn it off. I have never used it and hate that CRAP from ICE world.

Last edited:
I have had an experience of "sudden acceleration", and it was me misapplying the pedal.
Thanks God it was in large parking lot, and the place I was pulling in had in front of it another empty parking space, so my error had no consequence at all.
It took me close to a second before I could rationalise that I was (harder and hardly!) pushing on the accelerator instead of the brake, and another good second before I could move the foot from one to the other and stop the car. I travelled a good 10-12 meters before stopping and ended stopped well over the parking space in front of my intended one.
But during that second in which I was accelerating before realising about my error, I could have SWEARED ON THE BOOK that I was braking even if reality was the opposite.

So: errors do happen, and also it's difficult to realise they are errors if you are unlucky and get stopped by a wall instead of being lucky and rationalising it by yourself and stop after really pressing the brake.

I wish you all could experience what I did. Almost stopped to slamming into a wall. Not pilot error. This is a real problem.

I'm sure we all do understand how this must feel for you, and the desire for this to be Tesla's problem rather than yours is fully understandable too, but ...

... if you head down the path of getting the logs investigated they will show that the accelerator pedal was depressed, not the brake.

That might have been your foot, it might have been the carpet mat or some other object, but it will have been pressed.

There have been no cases where the car accelerates without the pedal being pressed and it is highly unlikely that you are going to be the first...

I'm sure we all do understand how this must feel for you, and the desire for this to be Tesla's problem rather than yours is fully understandable too, but ...

... if you head down the path of getting the logs investigated they will show that the accelerator pedal was depressed, not the brake.

That might have been your foot, it might have been the carpet mat or some other object, but it will have been pressed.

There have been no cases where the car accelerates without the pedal being pressed and it is highly unlikely that you are going to be the first...
What nobody is understanding here, is that my foot was lightly on the brake, I was almost completely stopped, and the car lurched forward, I am going to get the logs, and I am certain it will show an erroneous spike that DID NOT come from the accelerator. I know that many of you really want this to be human error, but it was not. I readily admit mistakes, I am not too proud or ashamed to say I screwed up if I did. Think about this logic, when you are nearly at a complete stop do you jam the brakes? No. I lurched forward so fast, that I didn't even have time to attempt to hit the brakes hard, and when I was over the curb in microseconds going into drainage ditch, my back tires were already off the ground. I guess the logs will prove it, but I know what happened. Why is Tesla adding a feature to prevent sudden acceleration in V9? Why did Tesla immediately ask me if I had creep mode enabled when I asked them about this incident? There is something to this, but I do realize that many of you want this to not be the case. I wish it wasn't the case either, but I believe there is a problem.