Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Summon Failure! Do Not Rely on Quick STOP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very helpful post. I summons outta garage almost everyday (after loading my dog Stewart) for 2.5yrs w/o issue. Inward only ~twice a month, and that has been successful as long as my wife's car is in garage and I'm aligned straight. I'm gonna skip the inward routine for now, that story hurts a lot.

Several months ago, when visiting family, was able to use Summon to back the car into the garage for charging (driver side door was obstructed) and pull it back out after charging.

Last weekend, had multiple problems getting Summon to work. It would frequently disconnect, either failing to start Summon or stay in Forward or Reverse. And Summon appears to move more slowly - preventing it from getting over a 1" threshold at the front of the garage floor - requiring someone to stand in front of the X and push to help it get into the garage.

It's possible the difficulties were caused by a change in the software over the last few months (V9?) or possibly because the temperature was lower (less give on the tires?).

I feel like after each software update, certain things will function differently from the previous version. What used to work suddenly doesn't work/work differently. Tesla is doing a poor job at communicating the changes.

Last edited:
My heart hurts to hear of your damage :(

I personally just started to use summon, never used it from the app, only the KFOB. First time i used it to back out of the garage. My driveway is angled not steep persay buy noticeable. The car summoned out fine but stopped just before the incline leaving the car halfway in and out of my garage, another summon attempt and it pulled all the way out. I kinda appreciated the fact the incline stopped it. Since then ive used it twice, once just to show off, the second to pull out of tight parking, Both successful. It actually parked itself better than i did. I have my summon set to 12 inches, and tight width. I dont think i would trust any closer than that. (8 being the closest i think)

The postscript on my misfortune is both the high cost and availability of certified Tesla auto body repair shops. The number of qualified facilities to work on Model X in the DMV can be counted on two hands. The buckled aluminum front quarter panel (yes, impact with the garage sounded just like the metallic crush of an aluminum beer can) cannot simply be restored, rather, needs to be replaced. Moreover, I must wait almost a month to begin repair since Model X part fabrication and supply chain issues--I was told--has been usurped by the push to crank out Model 3s. I will welcome the development of the Service Center's inevitable decision to offer organic body shop repair.

The postscript on my misfortune is both the high cost and availability of certified Tesla auto body repair shops. The number of qualified facilities to work on Model X in the DMV can be counted on two hands. The buckled aluminum front quarter panel (yes, impact with the garage sounded just like the metallic crush of an aluminum beer can) cannot simply be restored, rather, needs to be replaced. Moreover, I must wait almost a month to begin repair since Model X part fabrication and supply chain issues--I was told--has been usurped by the push to crank out Model 3s. I will welcome the development of the Service Center's inevitable decision to offer organic body shop repair.

Ouch, I feel your pain. Not to make light of your situation, but 3 yrs ago you could count # of places on 1 hand and in MD it was two, with one in Annapolis. Shortage of parts though is beyond frustrating. Speaking of that, I don't see how organic fixes that. Only thing I trust to fix that is competition. I get the ramp issues, but continuing to let your existing base customers suffer on service (this falls into that category), can/will continue to be justified, until there is sufficient motivation to change. I see that happening with competition. Mind you, I am a Tesla supporter (on my second). But this is unsat.

Sorry to hear this and this is why I never use summon. I find it easier just to park it myself and avoid all this. Is your garage so tight that you can't get out after it's park so you have to use summon?

The garage is a double garage (with two separate doors) with ample space between the two vehicles,however,since I park Model X on the left side, the driver's side only has about a foot of clearance. Entering and exiting the vehicle is possible, albeit with some contortion. My Model S was not as wide and slipped in much easier.Maybe the universe is telling me to get a 3!

I was using Summon all the time at various places via phone app (in Japan we don't have key fob summon, same as EU) successfully, but there was one failure. No crash though.
It was at an underground garage with a concrete column on my right side (and it's driver side - RHD). I summoned in to that space successfully and after a few hours when I summoned out from there Tesla jerked the steering to the right so I stopped summon. No damages.

Wonder why it moves steering when summon is only supposed to work straight?

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
I'm wondering for the people that have had Summons mishaps whether they have an uneven garage door/driveway entry area and that sometimes will confuse the car's traction or whatever. I know our garage floor is up slighting (and therefore not a smooth level path) from the driveway. Some people might have some sort of threshold installed at the floor level possibly although I think it's more common to use the bottom of the garage door for this.

The threshold of my garage floor does step up about an inch. My MS initially experienced difficulty going over the rise, but at the risk of personifying the AI, after hundreds of engagement, seemed to "learn" to literally get over it. MX has no trouble navigating over the step given the larger wheels; however, MX always stops at the threshold for a moment while the front tires crank left and right. Rarely will summon stop completely at this point requiring another long fob press (like MS always required). Up until my mishap, the front tires consistently centered themselves before MX moved forward..Not this time, MX rolled forward with wheels hard to the right, leading to the crash. Considering that both MS and MX NEVER had any trouble backing out, I wonder if the garage floor rise, as SMAIset suggested, throws off the steering?

On our previous S, I never had an issue with summon. Sometimes it’d have problem going over the lip of the garage, but otherwise it worked well

With our current X, I’ve had to intervene a few times to prevent it from hitting my 3. For some reason, every once in awhile, it would make a hard initial right turn and head straight for the side of my 3. Once I let it go to see if it would stop and it wouldn’t so I had to intervene by slamming the door handle. It came within an inch.

We still use summon everyday because it’s impossible to load our kids while the car is in the garage. But I feel our new X is a huge step back in summoning vs our former S.

Late October: Like @Rlkoffman my wife had summoned her X into the garage (as she had done 100x previously) and once inside the car suddenly cranked the front wheels all the way to the right and drove into the wall. Fortunately the full lock meant only the tire bumped the wall and there was no damage to the car. Tesla saw in the logs that this episode had occurred but even after a few weeks of investigation they don't know why and deep inspection of the car revealed no mechanical fault (e.g. bad sensor). I put it down to Beta software.

Got car back before Christmas and it's been driving fine as always. We avoid using summons into the garage any more, but driving it in the car does sometimes 'think' that there are trucks in there (see second pic).

IMG_6482 3.05.51 PM.jpeg

Dash when driving into garage.jpeg

Thanks for sharing...I'm really glad that your wife's X sustained no damage. "Flash" just came back from the auto body shop ($1700 and two weeks later). Like your near-miss, my front wheels also pulled hard right despite a clear and unobstructed path. As others have noted, Summon seems to work fine in reverse. Until we get our updated and enhanced Summon features (as promised), I will not use Summon to move Flash forward while still in beta release.