Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Take on the Apple Hire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My only concern, at least from the information I've been able to read from various sources so far, is that the new guy is the author of Apple's programming language Swift. Swift is great for writing Apple apps (apparently). However, being able to write/develop a programming language does not exactly translate into being a expert at writing AI software for autonomous vehicles. While developing Swift speaks of his obvious smarts and programming skills, I would think being very familiar with AI programming, etc., especially for autonomous vehicles might be rather important. :) Perhaps he already has done lots of AI work and it's just not well known. My < $.02.

My only concern, at least from the information I've been able to read from various sources so far, is that the new guy is the author of Apple's programming language Swift. Swift is great for writing Apple apps (apparently). However, being able to write/develop a programming language does not exactly translate into being a expert at writing AI software for autonomous vehicles. While developing Swift speaks of his obvious smarts and programming skills, I would think being very familiar with AI programming, etc., especially for autonomous vehicles might be rather important. :) Perhaps he already has done lots of AI work and it's just not well known. My < $.02.
Chris also invented LLVM which is used everywhere to build language compilers, shader compilers and JIT engines. I use it heavily for my software to build optimized SIMD vector kernels for x86 processors. Having an optimized compiler for DrivePX might come in handy.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam

I wouldn't be so concerned; he's being hired to lead the team, not to pull an oar. Swift (from my fairly minimal use of it) is an extremely clever and elegant language. If he can manage a team to produce Swift, I feel pretty good about autopilot.