Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash. This time into the delivery sign.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While that will have a similar effect to a hand brake, it lacks the control required for this sort of manoeuvre. ..

Naw, you can pull this off as long as you can undo the parking brake right after you've spun (this I don't know about for the Model S). No other handbrake modulation is needed. It's all on and then all off. It's all about timing that just right with your turn and getting on the regular brakes just the right amount to carry the spin through.

The driving instructor in that video alludes to the same at 5:30.

I had a driving instructor pull the automatic e-brake on my Audi on me to induce a spin in a car control clinic, and it worked.

Tell you what - in 12 years or so when we can pick up a worn out, high mileage, beater of a Model S for under $1000 I'd be happy to give it a go. Or if anyone wants to loan me their Model S now...

Last night someone drove a car into the local Pizza Hut, sending an elderly woman to hospital.

A couple of years ago someone did that to a nearby convenience store... and the day after they finished repairing it, someone else did it again (and managed to deftly avoid the huge new bollards that had been added).

Sadly, this sort of thing happens all the time.

My only experience is in Delicas, it's not annoying at all, in fact I didn't realise it was inside the car at first, I assumed it was on the outside for warning pedestrians because it was so quiet.

Maybe three light chimes would work but in the Prius it is constant while in reverse so if you are in reverse waiting for traffic to clear for a minute you have a minute of constant beeping.

That's the beautiful thing about the Model S and software. They can always improve things if there is a better way of doing this. However I don't think anything can keep some people from slamming down the accelerator. For anyone to to this and driver over 100 feet without stopping a few chimes likely wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe three light chimes would work but in the Prius it is constant while in reverse so if you are in reverse waiting for traffic to clear for a minute you have a minute of constant beeping.

That's the beautiful thing about the Model S and software. They can always improve things if there is a better way of doing this. However I don't think anything can keep some people from slamming down the accelerator. For anyone to to this and driver over 100 feet without stopping a few chimes likely wouldn't make a difference.
It's constant for a reason, here's an actual crash that I was involved in:
- car ahead of me at a traffic light drives part way in to the intersection on the green light trying to turn left, doesn't get a break in traffic before the light turns. Instead of proceeding safely out of the intersection after the light turned, they did what you should never do and backed out of the intersection. (intentional reversing). Unfortunately they left the vehicle in reverse and didn't shift back to drive. I was stuck in a bit of a dillema, I could see their reverse lights, and had a feeling I knew what was going to come next, but there was nowhere I could go at this point. Light turned green and the person in front of me took their foot off the brake. At this point their car started to roll backwards due to being in reverse, person wanted however to go forwards, so they floored the accelerator pedal. *CRUNCH*.

Your solution of three short chimes wouldn't have helped because she would have expected them when intentionally reversing out of the intersection (a bad idea, but somewhat beside the point here), but without ongoing indication she forgot what gear she was in and behaved as if she were in drive, not reverse. In a Japanese vehicle with the constant audible reminder this would be far less likely as you have a constant reminder that you are in reverse. Setting the volume level to not be annoying, but be a good reminder is possibly an issue, but I appreciate the feature (though it has yet to save me any trouble)

No, I actually was trying to give the person "the benefit of the doubt".

Say for some reason the driver was very stressed with other problems and had never backed up into a supercharger before and was just not at all thinking. A bit extreme yes.

If backing out of or into a Supercharger is difficult for someone, that person needs to go back to driving school. Seriously. If someone cannot safely and reliably do this, they shouldn't be driving.

It's dealer settable to a single beep. Some won't do it, but I don't know whether mine would, because I have a ScanGauge and changed the setting using an XGauge.

The beeping did save us from hitting a parking garage wall once.

It's constant for a reason, here's an actual crash that I was involved in:
- car ahead of me at a traffic light drives part way in to the intersection on the green light trying to turn left, doesn't get a break in traffic before the light turns. Instead of proceeding safely out of the intersection after the light turned, they did what you should never do and backed out of the intersection. (intentional reversing). Unfortunately they left the vehicle in reverse and didn't shift back to drive. I was stuck in a bit of a dillema, I could see their reverse lights, and had a feeling I knew what was going to come next, but there was nowhere I could go at this point. Light turned green and the person in front of me took their foot off the brake. At this point their car started to roll backwards due to being in reverse, person wanted however to go forwards, so they floored the accelerator pedal. *CRUNCH*.

Your solution of three short chimes wouldn't have helped because she would have expected them when intentionally reversing out of the intersection (a bad idea, but somewhat beside the point here), but without ongoing indication she forgot what gear she was in and behaved as if she were in drive, not reverse. In a Japanese vehicle with the constant audible reminder this would be far less likely as you have a constant reminder that you are in reverse. Setting the volume level to not be annoying, but be a good reminder is possibly an issue, but I appreciate the feature (though it has yet to save me any trouble)
If the reverse lights had stayed on for more than 5 seconds, I would have given her the horn.

Japanese cars have a backup beeper inside the car, any time the vehicle is in reverse gear there is a beeping sound to remind you. it's not loud or anything, but you always know if you're in reverse.

It's saved me a couple of times, but the Toyota forums are full of posts asking how to turn this off. Apparently it really bugs some people.