Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash. This time into the delivery sign.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Originally Posted by vabast I watched someone do the same thing at a motorcycle dealership and was told it is common. Apparently people regularly ride up on their old motorcycle, hand over the keys, get on their new (higher performance, usually) bike, and take it out on a sign, the corner of a building, a protective pylon, or the like.
Favorite part: dealership employee saying, right after the crash, in the most jaded and world weary I've-seen-too-many-idiots voice, "Another one..."

I ride msyslf and spend a good deal of time on a motorcycle forum (advrider.com) and that is indeed very common. Extremely poorly trained people or people who have literally never sat on a bike before go buy a liter sportbike and crash within their first hundred yards or still on the dealership property. One member is a dealer himself and said people crashed their new bikes within line of sight at least once a week. It got so bad he would not let them ride their bikes off the dealer lot, they had to push them off before he gave them the keys.

Car and driver have Munchhausen syndrome. ;)

The controls and awesome acceleration can be hard for a newbie to handle.

I can understand that, especially when you add immediate response and pedal sensitivity. I drive my Prius in Eco mode and I'd be hesitant as hell touching the go pedal of an S, even an S60. Instant acceleration at inherently double the rate plus who knows how much more acceleration for a given position.

I can understand that, especially when you add immediate response and pedal sensitivity. I drive my Prius in Eco mode and I'd be hesitant as hell touching the go pedal of an S, even an S60. Instant acceleration at inherently double the rate plus who knows how much more acceleration for a given position.
Not to derail the thread, but I find that the acceleration is incredibly easy to control at low speeds, very safe. I have no hesitation handing the fob over to people for a test drive. For folks coming along reading this thread, I don’t want to leave them with the false impression that the car is more difficult to handle than other cars, in fact, I find it much *easier* to drive and control at low speeds than most ICE cars I’ve driven.

@docrice, if you had not posted saying you were there at the crash I would not have believed this really happened. How did the car jump the curve and rotate such that it impacted the sign from that direction while missing the corner of the building by a few inches?

I took delivery at the factory so have some familiarity with that location. I can only guess that the car was backed into on of the SC spots, the driver finished charging and decided to show off, floored it while making a right turn and lost control.

But wouldn't the left front tire and wheel show damage for hitting the curb?

Last edited:

This is clearly nonsense. Are the x0000 Model Ss on the road permanently out of control? As others have said, it's a very controllable car. To crash like this requires a very special talent.

Like many folks, I've been at that sign, had my picture taken next to it. I did a factory tour and I've used the super charger. I can't figure out how they even managed it. There's no where you can park such that you'd be aimed at the sign for something like accidentally being in D instead of R and punching it. There's little room between the sign and railing in the background to fit the car. The S doesn't burn out rubber such that you can easily go sideways either as the traction control would kick in.

Color me baffled.

One thing about car crashes is that no matter how impossible it seems, someone, somehow, will manage to do it. And more often than not they will say "the car just took off on its own" and claim they had no part in it.

This is clearly nonsense. Are the x0000 Model Ss on the road permanently out of control? As others have said, it's a very controllable car. To crash like this requires a very special talent.

+1

I find the throttle response (sorry, not sure what else to call it) to be absolutely perfect. I can modulate the power and control speed in the Model S better than any other car I've driven.

Indeed--if anything, the very linear control offered by the Model S can make getting into a slushbox ICE more...interesting. I very nearly launched my father's SHO Taurus into the back of my Golf as I was pulling out of a parallel spot on the way to dinner one night, since I was not expecting the touchy and rather overamped response from the go pedal in the Taurus.

I ride msyslf and spend a good deal of time on a motorcycle forum (advrider.com) and that is indeed very common. Extremely poorly trained people or people who have literally never sat on a bike before go buy a liter sportbike and crash within their first hundred yards or still on the dealership property. One member is a dealer himself and said people crashed their new bikes within line of sight at least once a week. It got so bad he would not let them ride their bikes off the dealer lot, they had to push them off before he gave them the keys.

The worst are "boat show boaters" - go to a boat show, fall in love with some shiny piece of fiberglass, hand over a credit card for the deposit and sign the loan paperwork, and you have a new "boat show boater", the terror of the high seas.

Not to derail the thread, but I find that the acceleration is incredibly easy to control at low speeds, very safe. I have no hesitation handing the fob over to people for a test drive. For folks coming along reading this thread, I don’t want to leave them with the false impression that the car is more difficult to handle than other cars, in fact, I find it much *easier* to drive and control at low speeds than most ICE cars I’ve driven.
+1 - The first Model S I ever drove was a friend's Signature Performance. The car didn't leap into hyperspace the moment my foot approached the go pedal.

Drive like a putz, and you get what you deserve. Especially if "watch this" is uttered. :smile:

Looking at this picture.. I am not even sure how that is possible.

Attachments

• 1240000_10151857848287801_337968058_n.jpg
    1240000_10151857848287801_337968058_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 756
I hope the crash was due to the driver putting the car in 'Reverse' but really it was in Drive and they were parked right in front of the building on the corner. Turn their head to look over a shoulder and push the pedal. Boom
I have seen an elderly lady do it and jump a curb then ram into the wall of the Hardware store I was working at. She had no idea what happened at first.

still seems crazy, you'd need to hit the wall and keep on it to get the back end to come around

+1

I find the throttle response (sorry, not sure what else to call it) to be absolutely perfect. I can modulate the power and control speed in the Model S better than any other car I've driven.
Exactly! I don't even miss manual transmission due to this! I hope we get to discover how this happened. Perhaps trying to slam on the breaks but hit the go peddle full force and panicked?