Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, as far as I know, this red car is in LA and has nothing to do with the Santa Rosa crash.

3293047899_878958524b_o.jpg

My take on all the reports of Roadsters running into things is that it is a bit "too easy" to get up to high speeds that can catch drivers by surprise. The lack of noise, drama and shifting to get up to speed probably finds many drivers at 80MPH in situations where they would have only been going 60 in a more traditional vehicle.

Also, I bet for many Roadster owners, this is the first vehicle they have had that can do 0-60 in under 4s. The brakes are good, but the acceleration is excellent.

By the way, there was another discussion of Roadster braking here.

Also, because of the acceleration and the easy access to it, a Roadster can suddenly be someplace other drivers don't expect it to be. That can cause a Roadster to be cut off or pulled in front of frequently. A Roadster driver being aggressive with the acceleration needs to be extra defensive and alert of other drivers' possible actions.

Add to that the silence, and there's no warning to other drivers that the Roadster is accelerating quickly. An ICE car gives that warning to other drivers.

Also, I bet for many Roadster owners, this is the first vehicle they have had that can do 0-60 in under 4s. The brakes are good, but the acceleration is excellent.

This was also a thought that I had: I wonder what proportion of the drivers involved in crashes are experienced drivers or owners of other quick vehicles? There are obviously two classes of drivers coming to the car for their own different reasons, so I wondered if there was a pattern emerging.

I have been wondering - do all of these 'incidents' end up with the Roadster going back to Tesla for repair, or are there other shops doing body work on them? I would think the carbon fiber bits require specialized service.
I imagine that the repairs are rather expensive, but does it end up being a "profit center" for Tesla?

This would boil down to convenience and preference. It is still the body of a car. If you have a local body shop who can work with CF then great! If not, Tesla may have suggestions or suggest that they repair it. All is speculation due to most of the accidents, as previously pointed out, only require a new bumper (plastic) and front splitter (plastic).

P.S. I would hope if Tesla does repair body damage that it is a profit center for them. If I am to offer a product or service I want it to be a profit center for me....I would expect no less from an auto manufacturer.

Last edited:
P.S. I would hope if Tesla does repair body damage that it is a profit center for them. If I am to offer a product or service I want it to be a profit center for me....I would expect no less from an auto manufacturer.

I agree with this, actually. I do get tired of buying cars where maintenance is expensive and seems a profit center for selling a product which is built to break down. However, for something like repairing an accident I very much want the company to make money.

more pics

Sorry to drag this back up, but has anyone seen any more pics of the wreck?

As I understand it the pack was breached in the wreck and two of the "blades" got mashed up. I would have thought Tesla would have posted more info about this wreck. Did the pack short out at all? How many cells had the "fuse(s)" blow?

Last edited:
Sorry to drag this back up, but has anyone seen any more pics of the wreck?

As I understand it the pack was breached in the wreck and two of the "blades" got mashed up. I would have thought Tesla would have posted more info about this wreck. Did the pack short out at all? How many cells had the "fuse(s)" blow?

I also am interested in Roadster safety and crash data. How does it fair against larger cars (SUVs)...etc? Obviously a smaller car is at a disadvantage.

Car Crash Physics

2 on coming cars at highway speeds would have a combined speed of about 140 MPH :( Maybe it should be a minimum of 120 MPH since that is the legal limit in most of the country.

Here's a thought experiment from freshman physics: suppose two cars of equal mass each going 60 mph crash head-on. Now, imagine the same thing, but at the exact point of impact, build a solid brick wall. Finally, the same thing with the brick wall, but only one car. Is there any difference in the dynamics for each car?

Answer: no. In all cases, each car will undergo massive deceleration from 60 mph to zero in very short order with equally catastrophic results.

Therefore, two cars crashing head-on at 60 mph is the same as two cars each independently hitting a solid brick wall at 60 mph. Running a car into a brick wall at 120 mph would result in twice the deceleration and four times the kinetic energy dissipated into heat and material deformation.

On a related note, the reason they don't crash test cars at 60 mph is because it doesn't matter what you're wrapped in, you're gonna die. Even if you were strapped in, bundled up in bubble wrap, and surrounded by an indestructible titanium shell, if your body goes from 60 mph to zero in a few inches, you'll die of internal injuries. People survive high speed collisions only when their vehicle is not stopped instantly in a head-on crash.