Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) I am glad that you are fine & thanx for the description
2) I know what you mean about feeling sad for the driver
3) I like the guy who embodies the movie "Pay it forward." Words to live by!
4) Pictures would be nice, I agree; hey I shared... it's cathartic
5) Ok... now for the tongue & cheek...

lent me an umbrella while the sheriff did her duty
"her" ... was she hot? :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that you weren't hurt, Martin.

It was nice to hear your first hand account of the story and to hear about the guy that really went beyond his required duty to help you out after the wreck.

Also, as much as I hate seeing Tesla Roadsters getting in a wreck it's kind of nice to show the skeptics that they are extremely safe.

Any word on the repair of Martin's car? I'm always interested in what he's up to, and I know many others are too, especially regarding the work with VW.

I was worried when I heard that the guy who started Tesla motors had run out of cash and was borrowing money from his friends, in addition to facing a bitter divorce settlement. Fortunately, it turned out to be someone else.

Any word on the repair of Martin's car? I'm always interested in what he's up to, and I know many others are too, especially regarding the work with VW.

I was worried when I heard that the guy who started Tesla motors had run out of cash and was borrowing money from his friends, in addition to facing a bitter divorce settlement. Fortunately, it turned out to be someone else.

Steve,

the last time I heard from Martin (May 29th), he said that his car was still in the shop. He said he was experiencing withdrawal.

All the best,

Chris.

Yes, I finally got my car back late last week. The bodywork was done at Chilton's Auto Body in San Carlos, CA, where Tesla had the bodywork done after they crashed the car the first time...

Much of the work this time was done at Tesla (replacing the battery, for example). I believe that several of you saw my car over there.

The car seems fine - a few small complaints that Chilton/Tesla will sort out - minor body panel alignment imperfection, a badge missing, that sort of thing. Also, the coolant pump seems really loud again.

I am not sure exactly why it took 5 months to rebuild the car - I know they had to order quite a few parts. I also guess that this was not the highest priority work at Tesla.

But it sure is nice to have my car back! This going to the gas station to refuel my Mazda was getting old. What an inconvenience!

Hi Martin,
Glad to hear your car is back. I crashed mine in December and got back in April. The initial quote from Chilton called for 70 working days worth of labor. The extra delays were blamed on lack of parts (in particular the carbon fiber ones).

Oddly enough, Chilton/Tesla also forgot to put back the rear badges... I like making people guess what car it is, so I'm leaving it like this for now :wink:

Greetings,
David

Terrific news Martin,

Another owner here in LA had a spin on a wet freeway and hit both front and back. He's at four months now and should have his car back soon -they say.

Chalk this up as being a downside (for now) of Tesla ownership.

a badge missing, that sort of thing...

the coolant pump seems really loud again...

I also guess that this was not the highest priority work at Tesla.

1) They are probably trying to figure out how to remove your name from hologram that hovers over the badge!

2) My 2010 coolant pump is quite loud, though Tesla says it's normal, my fellow Tesla buddies concur that it is louder.

3) Hee hee

Oof:
39317_1582823810071_1219990036_1621907_7920103_n.jpg

First 2.5 crash? I believe this is the first time I've seen an airbag deployed in a Roadster (if that's what it is). Though, I thought since Tesla got an exemption for the "dumb" airbags, the passenger bag would have deployed as well.
Not so sure about that one ... several possibilities come to mind. 1] Roadster 2.5 now has smart airbags (not likely). 2] "Dumb" only refers to them not being multi-stage or occupant weight sensitive. They still deploy based on a seat or seat-belt sensor. 3] It DID deploy and is not visible (not likely, but possibly "hanging" down from the dash out of sight).

Ouch... that's a very sad sight for me to see. :frown:

It looks like the rear might have been smashed, although not as spectacularly, as well. I wonder how this accident occurred since the passenger side looks almost unscathed.

I think this looks worse than it appears.
The Roadster appears to have run under the car in front, similar to the Toureg - Tesla - Prius accident some time back.
I would be surprised if there is much or any frame damage, but still will cost lots to fix.