Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Delivery Failure...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just posting another Tesla's delivery failure after reading about a few...

This happened on the last few days before the federal rebate ends ...

I got a call from Tesla my car is ready to pick up and my appointment with VIN number was confirmed. They asked me if I wanted to come in at 9:00 PM to pick it up, but I decline since I had an appointment. So, I went in on December 31st and my car was given away to someone else! I lost $1875 and just got a sorry.

If you ask me, they are trying to pop up their sales number for stock purposes! Why give away my car!

What's sad for people who did not get their federal tax rebate is on 2018, Tesla covered the tax credit difference :
Elon Musk on Twitter

I got a call from Tesla my car is ready to pick up and my appointment with VIN number was confirmed. They asked me if I wanted to come in at 9:00 PM to pick it up, but I decline since I had an appointment. So, I went in on December 31st and my car was given away to someone else! I lost $1875 and just got a sorry.

If you ask me, they are trying to pop up their sales number for stock purposes! Why give away my car!

What's sad for people who did not get their federal tax rebate is on 2018, Tesla covered the tax credit difference :
Elon Musk on Twitter

What day did they ask you to come in at 9:00pm, the 30th? Or was it a few days before?

Tesla was not taking any chances on holding a car until someone was ready to show up and pay for it. They knew they had more buyers than vehicles and they were laser focused on finishing the quarter with record sales. I know it’s frustrating for those people who were called at the last minute to pick up their cars and couldn’t respond quick enough to close the deal. But that’s just how Tesla rolls.

that really sucks sorry to hear that. my car was ready to pick up on Dec 26th, but i coudln't pick it up till the 31st. luckily my DC held onto it for me. i was worried they would sell it to someone else as well. they called me on the 29 too to see if i could pick it up early as well, but i couldn't til the 31st.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Just out of curiosity, was your car already paid for?

Also, I thought they were covering the $1875 difference by reducing the sales price, which is actually better. I saw some other posts say that their sales people have confirmed that. Did your salesperson say "no"?

Elon Musk on Twitter

You can try to get that credit mentioned above, or you can just wait for them to drop the price on the vehicle, which is likely going to happen in the next couple weeks or so - and might be more valuable (due to taxes and annual fee effects). No certainty of course. Just somewhat supported by their apparent willingness to make people whole... Also I think they have a perfect record of price drops in response to credit reductions, so far.

Was the appointment worth $1875?

You could have always ordered earlier in the year.

Neither of those excuses Tesla's behavior.

Tesla had a car, gave the buyer a VIN and said come and pick it up. The buyer re-scheduled to 12/31. Who in their right mind would assume that Telsa would go and give away the car for re-scheduling the delivery one day!?!?

This sounds kind of like the stuff we heard at the end of last year. "There are a lot of orders". "Tesla is busy". "You should have known this would be a rush". Well, Elon's on Twitter saying "hey people, there's STILL TIME to order a Tesla and get it delivered by 12/31/18 to get the full $7,500 tax credit". He was pushing people to the door and there weren't enough ticket takers to manage the orders that he was generating.

The buyer re-scheduled to 12/31.

The buyer didn't reschedule, nor did he confirm that this was okay. I'm assuming he just declined the delivery day and didn't go in, and went in 3+ more days later without letting anyone know when he was going in. If you're going to rip Tesla for communication throughout the process, you have to rip someone for not communicating when they would be able to get it and asking whether or not that would work for them.

For all Tesla knows, the reservation holder declined delivery, and then just didn't show up for 3 days.

This works both ways.

The buyer didn't reschedule, nor did he confirm that this was okay. I'm assuming he just declined the delivery day and didn't go in, and went in 3+ more days later without letting anyone know when he was going in. If you're going to rip Tesla for communication throughout the process, you have to rip someone for not communicating when they would be able to get it and asking whether or not that would work for them.

For all Tesla knows, the reservation holder declined delivery, and then just didn't show up for 3 days.

This works both ways.
Good catch!

Just out of curiosity, was your car already paid for?

Also, I thought they were covering the $1875 difference by reducing the sales price, which is actually better. I saw some other posts say that their sales people have confirmed that. Did your salesperson say "no"?

My sales person told me no price reduction. I paid off some online, but didn't want to pay all since I wanted to inspect the car.

This works both ways.

Sadly, I didn't decline the delivery day. I had an appointment scheduled for 12/31 and the phone call was just to confirm I was coming that day.

Was the appointment worth $1875?

You could have always ordered earlier in the year.

I don't think OP meant he declined because he had an appointment at 9pm somewhere else. I think he declined because he already have a scheduled delivery appointment on the 31st. Most people who know how Tesla operated would have gone in at 9pm or even 2am to make sure the car was delivered. But since OP only have a few post counts, he just assumes that Tesla is like other dealerships which will honor their scheduled appointment and have a car for him. Live and learn!

If it were my car I’d be pushing Tesla for the discount rather than waiting for the price to drop. There are currently zero Model 3’s in inventory in the entire country and a 4-7 week lead time to get one. International customers have been waiting patiently for their orders and US production may not start up again for another month. Why would Tesla drop their prices under the current market conditions?

Things look very different for Tesla now compared to a year ago. The car is beginning to gain traction through word of mouth, as well as continued positive media coverage. The stock is more than double the price from earlier this year. I think we are seeing a new Tesla that may not follow the historical patterns of price drops. Only time will tell, but I’m seeing things very differently today from a year ago when we bought our first Model 3.

Why would Tesla drop their prices under the current market conditions?

Well, the price just went up ~$1875 (neglecting taxes/fees) in the US (for most but not all buyers).
In order to drop it, they would have to have insufficient demand at the current prices. Presumably their prior price was set optimally? It’s true they are more consistent about shipping to other markets early in the quarter, so a price adjustment may not happen as early as normal. I guess it depends on demand in other countries.

The Model Y is another complicating factor I suppose. Might be less supply of Model 3 soon.

Agree that if you can get the discount, take it! Bird in the hand...

Well, the price just went up ~$1875 (neglecting taxes/fees) in the US (for most but not all buyers).
In order to drop it, they would have to have insufficient demand at the current prices. Presumably their prior price was set optimally? It’s true they are more consistent about shipping to other markets early in the quarter, so a price adjustment may not happen as early as normal. I guess it depends on demand in other countries.

The Model Y is another complicating factor I suppose. Might be less supply of Model 3 soon.

Agree that if you can get the discount, take it! Bird in the hand...

It appears they have enough international demand at this point to sell off all they can produce. International markets were not impacted by federal tax credits so there is nothing new about this quarter for them. If the US does not want to pay today’s pricing without a subsidy I see Tesla just selling more internationally.

Even with their record breaking year in 2019 they only sold 307,000 Model 3’s. Given the global demand for the car right now I don’t see them having any problem selling that many again this year. China can supply their own market but the rest of the world still has a huge demand for the cars. Until something else comes out to compete with it I don’t see this changing.

Model Y will take away some demand from Model 3 but since they share 75% of the same parts Tesla can just slide more production toward Model Y if need be.

Just my crystal ball of course.