Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla design FIX, Rear view camera and rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got frustrated from the rain dripping on the rear view camera and decided to fix Tesla design, Arts and crafts came to mind so here we go...
I had some molded plastic sitting around, those are some plastic beads that melts in boiling water which you can mold to your liking.

I molded a top cover above the rear view camera, let it dry for about 10 minutes and painted it with some glossy paint to match the rear trim.
No more blurry image when it rains...Here are some photos of the process.
The pictures don't do justice because you really cannot see it from 3ft away.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.48.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.48.28 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 566
  • Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.53.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.53.24 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 391
  • Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.54.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.54.21 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 379
  • Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.52.46 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.52.46 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 361
  • Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.51.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 6.51.56 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 376
So I got frustrated from the rain dripping on the rear view camera and decided to fix Tesla design, Arts and crafts came to mind so here we go...
I had some molded plastic sitting around, those are some plastic beads that melts in boiling water which you can mold to your liking.

I molded a top cover above the rear view camera, let it dry for about 10 minutes and painted it with some glossy paint to match the rear trim.
No more blurry image when it rains...Here are some photos of the process.
The pictures don't do justice because you really cannot see it from 3ft away.
Did you position it over the camera while the plastic was still warm and it just stuck in place? Or did you use some other technique to get it to stay in position? I tried something much cruder than this last week - you absolutely cannot have anything extending to the sides or under the camera because it obscures the view too much. So your design looks “right on”.

Did you position it over the camera while the plastic was still warm and it just stuck in place? Or did you use some other technique to get it to stay in position? I tried something much cruder than this last week - you absolutely cannot have anything extending to the sides or under the camera because it obscures the view too much. So your design looks “right on”.
It doesn't block the view at all.
I molded it when it was warm and just shoved it into the nooks and crannies around the camera, then I looked through the camera and adjusted it till I was sure there was no blocked spots in the camera.
The great thing about this material is that you have plenty of time to adjust and fine tune the design and if you mess up then you just take it off put it in hot water again and reshape it.

Also you can remove it when you want with blowdryer.
The sun won't damage it because it become soft only around 145F

Reactions: sacfan
Reactions: MorrisonHiker