Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla driver in San Diego, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Old Stewball

Former Porshephile
May 30, 2022
La Jolla
Hiya,

I've been a Porschephile for over 60 years, since my dad took me for rides in his 356 when I was a pre-teen. We've also been EV drivers since 2011, when my wife got her Nissan Leaf, replaced in 2019 by a Chevy Bolt. She hasn't been to a gas station in 11 years, now, and doesn't intend to ever go back. I've owned a series of Porsches since I turned 50 (when I could finally afford one) but have soured on the brand somewhat since the tremendous run-up in values for the older cars and ADMs on the newest desirable models over the last 5-10 years. Tesla is the only brand of EV that I could see that could somewhat match the performance of the P-cars and also operated outside of the dealer network paradigm that I have come to abhor. With used car prices spiking, it seemed judicious to just order a new one, so I am currently awaiting delivery of my 2022 Model 3 Performance in Midnight Silver Metallic with black interior.

Having been a founding member of Rennlist and a moderator of our local Porsche club forum, I went looking for Tesla discussion groups on the web, and here I am. Still trying to figure out this implementation--I guess with a free account and only a few posts there is some functionality I am missing? I haven't yet found a way to edit my posts after they are made, which seems like a necessary function. What am I missing?

There are some features that are only available after a number of posts, editing may be one of them (private messages definitely is). Editing is only available for a short duration of time.

I believe the primary reason for a paid subscription is getting rid of ads. The rest of the features you'll get automatically after a handful of posts. Paying will get you then instantly. More details:

Welcome to the club! Have you test driven the Model 3 yet, or did you take a gamble?

There are some features that are only available after a number of posts, editing may be one of them (private messages definitely is). Editing is only available for a short duration of time.

I believe the primary reason for a paid subscription is getting rid of ads. The rest of the features you'll get automatically after a handful of posts. Paying will get you then instantly. More details:

Welcome to the club! Have you test driven the Model 3 yet, or did you take a gamble?
Thanks for the info. I'm working on my post count. 😀

I took a M3P test drive for a half hour at the local Tesla Store and ordered one the next day!

Reactions: father_of_6
Hiya,

I've been a Porschephile for over 60 years, since my dad took me for rides in his 356 when I was a pre-teen. We've also been EV drivers since 2011, when my wife got her Nissan Leaf, replaced in 2019 by a Chevy Bolt. She hasn't been to a gas station in 11 years, now, and doesn't intend to ever go back. I've owned a series of Porsches since I turned 50 (when I could finally afford one) but have soured on the brand somewhat since the tremendous run-up in values for the older cars and ADMs on the newest desirable models over the last 5-10 years. Tesla is the only brand of EV that I could see that could somewhat match the performance of the P-cars and also operated outside of the dealer network paradigm that I have come to abhor. With used car prices spiking, it seemed judicious to just order a new one, so I am currently awaiting delivery of my 2022 Model 3 Performance in Midnight Silver Metallic with black interior.

Having been a founding member of Rennlist and a moderator of our local Porsche club forum, I went looking for Tesla discussion groups on the web, and here I am. Still trying to figure out this implementation--I guess with a free account and only a few posts there is some functionality I am missing? I haven't yet found a way to edit my posts after they are made, which seems like a necessary function. What am I missing?
Welcome aboard, @Old Stewball! Good to see you're making the switch to the Model 3 Performance. My wife has had hers for three years now and based on driving her car, I got the Model YP a couple of years ago. We love them both and won't go back to ICE vehicles. Do you have any updates on when you can expect your Model 3 delivery?

Regarding post edits, that is just a limitation for new members. After you post a few times (I can't remember how many) you'll get the ability to edit about 15 minutes or so after the post, but you won't be able to edit the title of the post. After that, the post is locked in and you won't be able to edit (unless that's a feature for longer-term members that I am not aware of).

Welcome aboard, @Old Stewball! Good to see you're making the switch to the Model 3 Performance. My wife has had hers for three years now and based on driving her car, I got the Model YP a couple of years ago. We love them both and won't go back to ICE vehicles. Do you have any updates on when you can expect your Model 3 delivery?

Regarding post edits, that is just a limitation for new members. After you post a few times (I can't remember how many) you'll get the ability to edit about 15 minutes or so after the post, but you won't be able to edit the title of the post. After that, the post is locked in and you won't be able to edit (unless that's a feature for longer-term members that I am not aware of).
I ordered the car on May 24, and my account now shows:

Estimated Delivery: June 12 - June 26​

I'm hoping to get a VIN and delivery date in the next few weeks. I was pretty impressed with the test drive I took. It's definitely a lot better than any EV I have driven. I was on the waitlist for a Taycan for two years and then was disappointed with the final design and the pricing strategy of PCNA, so I got my deposit back and passed on it. I think the M3P would be able to stick with my last Porsche (a 991 GT3) up to about 90 MPH or so, as long as there's no corner to go around. :) Hoping that the stock suspension will not require modifications to autocross it, but from what I'm reading, there is no camber adjustment available, which would make it pretty hard on tires. We'll see. The "track mode" looks promising, but my days of going to the big tracks are over, and I didn't try it on the short street drive I had.

I'll keep building my post count with some investigation into autox prep and hope the "Edit" button shows up soon. I hate to press the post button and then see that I made a big typo and not be able to go back in and correct it! Thanks for the tips. 👍

Edit-- the edit button just showed up on this post (my 6th or 7th). Yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: spsheridan
Welcome - I was part of the Rennlist faithful for many years with a 911 and various 914 track cars.
I was on the Lyris mailing list that preceded Rennlist called Porschephiles in the late '90s, then John Dunkle took it over and started Porschelist until Porsche AG sent him a cease and desist letter and he changed the name to Rennlist. I contributed to him buying the first server in '99 along with 50 others and we became lifetime founding members with free email accounts and website hosting. Then he sold it to Internet Brands and the whole thing slowly went to *sugar*, IMHO. I can't even maintain my website there anymore because they don't know how to restore the server that crashed, even though they promised John they would honor his agreements with the founding members. 🤬

I went through seven 911s, a 928, and a Cayman S over the last 25 years, but the market has gone crazy and pretty much ruined the hobby for the less well-heeled enthusiast. Luckily, I at least made some money on the old air-cooled cars as they appreciated, but couldn't even afford to buy any of them back at this point in time, unfortunately. 🥵

I'm calling it all "nostalgia" nowadays and going for the new tech. 😉

Welcome from the hills of Ramona! I can't believe the time difference for delivery dates between the P and LR!! If I had the cash I'd swing the P but it just isn't possible currently. Thanks again for the check list you posted on my introduction thread, I'll definitely be using it in 6 to 8 months 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Old Stewball
Welcome! Nowadays there's ADMs on any of the fun cars I'm interested in. You'll have a lot of fun with the M3P though.
Yeah, I had some interest in the Mach-E GT w/performance package and found one in stock at a local dealer. Called them about it and they said they'd sell it for $10k over MSRP. I told them someone might buy it but I wasn't that guy. Then I read some more reviews about it and complaints about throttling power after 5 seconds of full acceleration and was glad I passed. Now I hear FMC talking about selling their EVs customer direct like Tesla to puinish their dealers for ridiculous markups on cars they have on the lot, while the order books are closed with a 2-year backlog. They were pulling the same stuff on the Mustang GT350--asking $25k markups! The same thing soured me on the new Corvette. If you weren't first in line or willing to pay way over list, the new Z06 is just unobtanium. The Covid semiconductor shortage is just increasing demand to crazy levels because the manufacturers are hobbled. :mad:

Reactions: oreobbq