Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla fire in a garage, this time in Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither of us know for sure, but look closely how the article is written.

The first part is a direct statement attributed to Tesla. Nowhere in that statement did Tesla say they offered to pay for any damages. Why isn't that in there as a "direct statement"? Because the author and company could get their @sses sued off if that statement were an outright lie.

On the other hand, the author managed to slip hearsay in by mentioning that 7 Tesla employees showed up and they offered to pay damages but the owner said no.

Who gave that info to the author? Notice the writer didn't attribute that to anyone.

" The owner said "

" Spokesman for the Fire Department told us"

"I spoke with Tesla's investigation team and they told me"

The author wrote that part intentionally vague enough to weasel out of getting sued for publishing false statements.

I bet when push comes to shove the writer will say something like "gee, I talked to a lot of people on his. I don't recall who it was exactly, but I know I heard that."

If the author is willing to publish an article with a "direct statement" from Tesla confirming they offered to pay damages, I'm with you. Otherwise, I'm extremely sceptical.

Bravo! I have been all over InsideEVs on Facebook for parroting this article for hits. Yes, please... citations/attributions needed. This article as written is BS. I just wish the population in general would learn how to read with a critical eye and understand what journalism is supposed to be.

After researching Business Insider, the author Linette Lopez's previous articles plus the vague wording I am leaning toward this story being a straight out eyeball grabber.
Henry Blodget Pins Hope in Business Insider - WSJ.com
Why Business Insider Matters - 24/7 Wall St.
Linette Lopez - Business Insider

I would hope the magazine founder is not doing this for financial purpose. He has history...

In 2002, Mr. Blodget—then an analyst at Merrill Lynch—was accused by regulators of publicly issuing positive ratings on stocks of the firm's investment-banking clients while privately deriding them in email messages. He was permanently barred from the securities industry in 2003 and paid $4 million to settle regulators' charges against him.

Tesla Investigating Cause of Toronto Garage Fire With Model S - Bloomberg

Tesla said in a statement. “In this particular case, we don’t yet know the precise cause, but have definitively determined that it did not originate in the battery, the charging system, the adapter or the electrical receptacle, as these components were untouched by the fire.”

Tesla sent seven employees to review the Toronto fire, Business Insider said. “The company also offered to take care of the damages and inconvenience caused by the fire, but the owner declined,” the report said.

It certainly sounds to me that Tesla does not know exactly what it was, but feels responsible enough to offer recompense. The fire must have started in the car somehow. Not good news.

Two things that could have caused this damage:

1. Underhood electrical modifications (Stereo equipment, radar/laser equipment, etc.) might have been installed incorrectly
2. The nose/front of the car might have bumped either something plugged into an outlet (on the wall) or caused a short to occur INSIDE the wall with some poorly laid out romex. Wire staples or sheetrock screws come to mind.

The charge port door is closed, the handles are extended, and if the 12V or main battery caused the problem, there would be a bit more damage to the car.

Something stinks, here.

Meh. Big deal. I honestly don't care anymore and I'm guessing I'm not alone. I'm sick of all the uproar every time anything happens with a Tesla. It's complete BS. At some point all this "crying Wolfe" is simply going to make any real fire less newsworthy, so in a way I'm glad these bogus reports continue to happen. Anyone who is still uneducated enough to think that Tesla's are a bigger fire risk than a Gasoline car doesn't deserve to own the stock or the car. The ironic part is that the stock has never gone down because anyone was actually scared, it went down because everyone thought it would go down so they sold. It's a pathetic joke that I've become very bored with.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing to note is that in all 3 pictures every single firefighter is looking at the wall and on the ground right up on the wall. In other words not a single one of them is looking at the Tesla.

In other words we know nothing. At each of the moments after the photos were taken, maybe the firefighters all turned and looked carefully at the Tesla. We simply do not know. The photos only indicate what was happening when the photos were taken, and even then, not very well at all.

Not the 12V system

Two things that could have caused this damage:

1. Underhood electrical modifications (Stereo equipment, radar/laser equipment, etc.) might have been installed incorrectly
2. The nose/front of the car might have bumped either something plugged into an outlet (on the wall) or caused a short to occur INSIDE the wall with some poorly laid out romex. Wire staples or sheetrock screws come to mind.

The charge port door is closed, the handles are extended, and if the 12V or main battery caused the problem, there would be a bit more damage to the car.

Something stinks, here.

Am I correct in that if the 12V system had been the source of the fire the handles wouldn't have extended as they are powered by said system? Once a 12V battery catches fire, it leaks acid and stops working.

Apparently Fraudulent Story about Tesla Fire

Someone sent me this link to a story about a Model S spontaneously burning in a garage in Toronto.

When I read the story, I was very suspicious, because in the pictures the car seems not to be burned at all. The story claims to have originated at Business Insider, but when I went to their website, I couldn't find it (though there were many recent articles by the purported author). There's nothing that I could find about it here or in the rest of the press (unless you count more copies of this).

All I can figure is that it's a complete fabrication, probably designed to affect the stock price. The shorts must feel pretty desperate.

Another Tesla Caught On Fire While Sitting In A Toronto Garage This Month - Yahoo Finance

- - - Updated - - -

Now I can find it on Business Insider. This still feels very fishy to me.

Second common cause of car fires is a short in the 12v system. (Most common is a gasoline leak...) but saying that this is non-event is also false. Remember non of Fisker fires were originated from drive train but from the 12v system.

(Fire risk from 12v-short: Fisker 0.2% vs. Tesla 0.0033%, fire risk from shorts: over 9000%)

Am I correct in that if the 12V system had been the source of the fire the handles wouldn't have extended as they are powered by said system? Once a 12V battery catches fire, it leaks acid and stops working.

The short circuit probably takes only few amp-hours to start fire, but not enough to melt the lead-acid battery, after fire starts it will burn the wiring to the short and other 12v devices can work normally.

Last edited:
TPFFA Emergency Incidents Map

there.... That's a more searchable site. I only see two likely candidates. One of them more so than the other.

aha, got my best guess. I would believe there is likely some truth to this story by that description.

"HOUSE FIRE @Toronto_Fire 2nd Alarm on arrival. Heavy black smoke from garage; car inside"
"Update @Toronto_Fire made quick work of fire in garage. Now knocked down. No. injuries reported"

Edit: For the privacy sake of other(s), I have disabled what was a link. Anyway, for the curious, the crumbs are all laid out for you.

one last note for the night. There are three pictures in the article, but one is just a zoomed in and brightened version of the other one. Strange what more detail can be seen by brightening a still image. Funny discolorations result throughout the zoomed in photo because of the brightening.

Last edited:

there.... That's a more searchable site. I only see two likely candidates. One of them more so than the other.

aha, got my best guess. I would believe there is likely some truth to this story by that description.

"HOUSE FIRE @Toronto_Fire 2nd Alarm on arrival. Heavy black smoke from garage; car inside"
"Update @Toronto_Fire made quick work of fire in garage. Now knocked down. No. injuries reported"

Edit: For the privacy sake of other(s), I have disabled what was a link. Anyway, for the curious, the crumbs are all laid out for you.

one last note for the night. There are three pictures in the article, but one is just a zoomed in and brightened version of the other one. Strange what more detail can be seen by brightening a still image. Funny discolorations result throughout the zoomed in photo because of the brightening.

yea i mean I found that too, the fire itself was pretty major. 2 alarm & 17 units dispatched...

Lot of speculation. Fire dept has option of labeling it house fire or car fire. They chose house fire

Meh. Big ****** deal. I honestly don't care anymore and I'm guessing I'm not alone. I'm sick of all the uproar every time anything happens with a Tesla. It's complete BS. At some point all this "crying Wolfe" is simply going to make any real fire less newsworthy, so in a way I'm glad these bogus reports continue to happen. Anyone who is still uneducated enough to think that Tesla's are a bigger fire risk than a Gasoline car doesn't deserve to own the stock or the car. The ironic part is that the stock has never gone down because anyone was actually scared, it went down because everyone thought it would go down so they sold. It's a pathetic joke that I've become very bored with.

Maybe you don't care cause you already own one. I was considering ordering in a few months. This makes me concerned. Potential fire risk in your house is a serious problem. You can create a smokescreen all you want but it is a serious concern for purchasers and owners and the company if true. My wife will never go for the car if this turns out to be that the car started the fire.

Maybe you don't care cause you already own one. I was considering ordering in a few months. This makes me concerned. Potential fire risk in your house is a serious problem. You can create a smokescreen all you want but it is a serious concern for purchasers and owners and the company if true. My wife will never go for the car if this turns out to be that the car started the fire.

My wife is ecstatic over the fact that we do not need any flammable gasoline in our garage anymore. You do not hear about the ICE cars that catch fire in garages all the time and burn houses down. We had that happen in our town last year.