TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

another Tesla S under $85K...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nigwil, Apr 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nigwil

nigwil Member

but gosh it comes with... "PLUS purchase any vehicle with us to receive an fuel loyalty card."

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Tesla-Model-S-2014/OAG-AD-15408826/

Tesla Model S P85 2014 with 45Km ODO, black, red callipers.

Is anyone tracking prices in Oz? I am posting more car details this time as the last time we had a low-cost Model S the listing is now gone and we can't check the details.

Wild prediction: when the Model 3 is released in Oz (say in 18 months) the BMW i3 prices ($75K) will drop overnight by $20K or more; I see cheapest used i3 ($44K) are now at the high-end of past Nissan LEAF prices.

2. tobygriffin

tobygriffin Member

Agree, but I don’t think it is just the Model 3 that will cause price reductions in the next couple years. I just sold my BMW i3 (today in fact) against future price drops, and bought a cheap (relatively) 2015 Model S 85D for $98k.

3. nigwil

nigwil Member

You're right, the i3 price will be under downward pressure from multiple sources, perhaps the price change will be in small decrements for a fair while but get a bigger downward push when more robust competitors are released.

Enjoy your Model S, that will be a quite the upgrade.

4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

i think in the next year, a lot of people who "settled" for a Leaf, Outlander etc. are going to buy a 200km+ EV (Zoe, Ioniq, Kona, new Leaf) etc. the market will be flooded people selling their "old" EV for cheap.

Even though it's only going to start at $10-15k more than those other vehicles, Model 3 is kind of in a different class, but it is feasible that some owners of the original Model S (pre-AP, etc) might "upgrade" to a Model 3.

5. nigwil

nigwil Member

Although we are still a long wait to Oz release, I am hoping we will maintain parity with USA/CAD so using CAD(Canadian) pricing a loaded Model 3 (LR+PUP) could be about AUD$65K:

BMW i3: $65K
    new Zoe: $52K
    new LEAF: $48K
    Kona: $50K

If used Model S drops price fairly steadily it is going to be a fun confluence of choices when the Model 3 is released, $10K-15K more to get longer range and all the cool tech and Tesla benefits.

I agree the market is going become very interesting over the next year or two, we're going to be spoiled for choice.

6. tobygriffin

tobygriffin Member

Not sure actually. I spent a week driving a P100D and to be perfectly honest I preferred the driving feel of the BMW i3. The Tesla was obviously crazy fast off the mark, but the Beemer was no slouch either and was more fun around corners. Also so much easier to park. I only switched because the i3 was getting too small for the growing family. I am looking forward to Autopilot (v1) though.

• Like x 1
  7. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

A question for those who know about early Model S in Oz ...

Were any of the first 2014 models without Supercharging, or were all Oz models Supercharger enabled ?

8. mike_j

mike_j Member

All of the 85's came with included supercharging. For the 60's Supercharging was an optional extra (and was actually cheaper to activate after purchase due to avoiding the LCT)

9. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Cool, so there were never any Teslas in Oz incapable of supercharging ?

10. baillies

baillies Member

I believe some (most?) of the original 60's in Aus didn't have supercharging, but maybe most/all added it once the network was deployed. Given buying a S60 was the lowest cost option, it was cheaper to enable supercharging after deliver and there were very few superchargers my guess is most S60 in Aus didn't have supercharging enabled at delivery.

Maybe one of the S60 owners like @lennier knows more?

11. houdini

houdini Member

The $85K Tesla is not including on roads so either the buyer needs to cut a deal or pay a bit extra :). This one has also been on for ages and was about $115K form memory and has been steadily working it’s way down. The super sweet spot is/has been $85K because the last one like this was on for ages until it hit $85 and then sold. That one had lots of KM’s on it though. I think a lot of fellow MOdel 3 reservists like me are waiting until the S’s get down to $75K and then we’ll buy an S.

12. houdini

houdini Member

Just checked car sales - it’s sold!

13. Mark E

Mark E Member

Others sold for more than that in the interim. I suspect that there was some other issue with this car to stop it selling

14. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

There is -- it doesn't have AP.

• Informative x 1
  15. Vegas

Vegas Member

That would def affect resale.

16. possum22

possum22 Member

What issues could that be?

Going by the picture, that's the radar in the lower grill & description "automatic rain sensing wipers, self steering, active cruise control" it has AP.
    Didn't the pre AP cars, the lower grill mesh extended right across?

Attached Files:

17. possum22

possum22 Member

Attached Files:

18. houdini

houdini Member

Yes I noticed that myself. The non-AP cars had no square in the lower grill. Also as you say the active cruise control alludes to it.

19. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Those are different ads - they do, however, put the model at June 2014 which is pre AP.
    When reading the original ad, I didn't see 'active cruise control'. Can't find 'active' in the second ad either.

20. possum22

possum22 Member

Yes, the first one is in WA, the 2nd is in NSW, there's no mention of any cruise control system and there is no square in the middle of the lower grill.