Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly what I wrote above. I described the problem, how long it's been going on, and asked for an update for when they would be starting to update all affected vehicles.

When the SC called, they did say that there would be a wider communication going out to all the affected users later, but there's no telling when that might happen.

Which SC are you using?

Exactly what I wrote above. I described the problem, how long it's been going on, and asked for an update for when they would be starting to update all affected vehicles.

When the SC called, they did say that there would be a wider communication going out to all the affected users later, but there's no telling when that might happen.

I already escalated once before and all that happened was the SC called and said they were aware and waiting on a plan from Tesla. I just escalated again, and cited that users on here have already had headlights retrofitted. We'll see what happens.

I already escalated once before and all that happened was the SC called and said they were aware and waiting on a plan from Tesla. I just escalated again, and cited that users on here have already had headlights retrofitted. We'll see what happens.
I think Corporate is now fully aware of the issue and is really trying to put a retrofit plan in place. The corporate email I received back was the first formal acknowledgement of the problem I've seen. As to whether they choose to tell the SC to wait for the retrofit plan, or to just go ahead and order parts for your individual retrofit, I think that depends on the individual who processed your message.

I think Corporate is now fully aware of the issue and is really trying to put a retrofit plan in place. The corporate email I received back was the first formal acknowledgement of the problem I've seen. As to whether they choose to tell the SC to wait for the retrofit plan, or to just go ahead and order parts for your individual retrofit, I think that depends on the individual who processed your message.

What I got from escalation.

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our teams are working through a plan to address this and ensure you are satisfied. Retrofits will be a complimentary due bill, when parts become available. We do not have any ETA at this point however, I can assure that we are working actively to get the issue resolved. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused."

Luck of the draw but at least it is a formal acknowledgement of the issue... You could try forwarding that email to your local SC and see if they are willing to order the parts and do the retro for you. Clearly several SCs have already chosen to do that for some of their customers. Perhaps corporate is waiting for enough parts to do a recall for all affected vehicles, but there are clearly parts available for a few retro-fits here and there....

I had contacted my OA and then the SC. The lights were ordered and took a firmware push to get them working. I ignored the comment from from the service advisor implying that they did me a favor since they normally wouldn’t do this (even though obviously Tesla screwed up). They made it seem that this was the only instance ever that Tesla has faced this problem (another lie)

I had contacted my OA and then the SC. The lights were ordered and took a firmware push to get them working. I ignored the comment from from the service advisor implying that they did me a favor since they normally wouldn’t do this (even though obviously Tesla screwed up). They made it seem that this was the only instance ever that Tesla has faced this problem (another lie)

Ive escalated twice. Both times they said they are waiting for Tesla to tell them what to do. I did say I want my 1st service free and got it

Based on what I've seen in this thread. It comes down to how proactive or lazy your SC is. Some SC seem to go out of their way and order the parts and install. Others are just sitting back and saying they are waiting for word from Tesla on a recall.

I am waiting to hear of a “successful” retrofit. Meaning lights replaced and then actually work. I think this is harder than expected since needs to be wired into the steering wheel harness. I personally don’t want them doing this till they really actually know how to do it correctly. Especially since most people say they don’t work that well either.

Regardless, I think tesla will make this right for us one way or another and free first service as noted above is a fine gesture.

Car is still amazing. Best I have ever owned and I have gotten past the disappointment in this snafu so that i can enjoy how great the car is.

They did fix my front panel misalignment and the service center for me was amazing.

I am waiting to hear of a “successful” retrofit. Meaning lights replaced and then actually work. I think this is harder than expected since needs to be wired into the steering wheel harness.

Why do you think it needs to be wired to the steering wheel harness? There is no direct connection between the steering wheel and the headlights. I'm pretty sure the wiring and connector for the adaptive headlights is already in every car. They just need to replace the existing headlights, plug in the 3 LED connector, and then reprogram the the settings such that the adaptive lighting is enabled and the setting appears in the options.

I was scheduled to have mine installed yesterday, but the storm yesterday put paid to that and now my service date has been pushed back 2 weeks. I will definitely report back after it's done...

Reactions: MP3Mike
Why do you think it needs to be wired to the steering wheel harness? There is no direct connection between the steering wheel and the headlights. I'm pretty sure the wiring and connector for the adaptive headlights is already in every car. They just need to replace the existing headlights, plug in the 3 LED connector, and then reprogram the the settings such that the adaptive lighting is enabled and the setting appears in the options.

I was scheduled to have mine installed yesterday, but the storm yesterday put paid to that and now my service date has been pushed back 2 weeks. I will definitely report back after it's done...

Maybe I am wrong but I thought i read somewhere in this forum that since its adaptive turning lights there needed to be a connection between the wheel and the lights. But maybe I am wrong. I had a service visit to fix alignment and the lights. And they told me they couldn’t do the lights at this time. And that they would be call me when they could.