Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also took delivery on 9/2017 and lacking Adaptive Headlight. The last communication on 10/9/2017 I received stated that my MS75 is eligible for complementary retrofit and being planned for install but I am yet to see the end result. Has anyone got retrofit done in Dallas SC yet?

The below is the email snippet:

"I have reviewed this for you and can confirm that your vehicle is eligible for the adaptive headlight option. In order to make that happen we need to involve your local service center who would be coordinating the parts needed a scheduling a time to perform the work. I have started that process on your behalf, but this is dependent on the availability of parts. Once everything falls into place the service center will reach out to coordinate the next steps with you. In the meantime if you have any other questions or further concerns please feel free to reach me directly at [email protected]."

UPDATE: Just received a confirmation email saying retrofit parts have been arrived at Dallas SC. I am going to schedule an appointment to drop my car. The folks who already had tetrofitted adaptive headlight, please share your experience before and after the work done. What to look out for after install? Does this throw additional beam to the direction when turn signal is turned on like in MX?

I’m having a second thought on retrofit what if the new lights do not perform significant better job than non adaptive and In order to replace, I think front bumper is needed to be taken off. Some owners had already mentioned about headlights are not properly flushed with the body and bumper. Once it is done I don’t think we can revert back to original. Does SC keep the original headlights?

UPDATE: Just received a confirmation email saying retrofit parts have been arrived at Dallas SC. I am going to schedule an appointment to drop my car. The folks who already had tetrofitted adaptive headlight, please share your experience before and after the work done. What to look out for after install? Does this throw additional beam to the direction when turn signal is turned on like in MX?

I’m having a second thought on retrofit what if the new lights do not perform significant better job than non adaptive and In order to replace, I think front bumper is needed to be taken off. Some owners had already mentioned about headlights are not properly flushed with the body and bumper. Once it is done I don’t think we can revert back to original. Does SC keep the original headlights?

Lucky. Dont think ill get mine until 2020

Some owners had already mentioned about headlights are not properly flushed with the body and bumper. Once it is done I don’t think we can revert back to original. Does SC keep the original headlights?

My retrofit was perfect, with no discernable difference in any gaps or alignment. I DID have to adjust the beams as they were too low, but that was simple enough. As most folks have pointed out, the extra LEDS above the main LEDs don't throw much of a beam and you probably won't notice it in normal driving. But if you turn your wheel in your garage, you can see extra areas light up a bit. They are certainly not worse than the non adaptive lights, but the point is to have your car the way it was supposed to be built, not so much to get any significant uplift in performance....

And yes, the SC keeps the old lights.

What did you say? I escalated 2 times, got free service the 2nd time. Each time they just have the SC call me and say they are waiting for word from Tesla on how to fix them.

All I said “The missing Adaptive Headlight complementary retrofit installation in to my MS is still pending. Why? What is the plan?”

Tesla responded, “Thank you for reaching back out to us here at Tesla. Our teams are working on finalizing the plan for this retrofit to be completed by our service centers. I've reached out to our regional leadership in your area to see if we may be able to source any parts to have this retrofit completed for you before the plan is finalized. We will be sure to update as soon as we have some confirmation. I'm hoping to have more information available by early next week.”

I received a phone call from Dallas SC in next day or two.

If you have PPF installed you will need to get the headlights redone. They will also remove your front bumper to swap out the lights. Hood, and fenders should be fine. Be sure to check the align and fit/finish of the full front once they're done. I had my Model S retrofitted at the Dallas SC and they did a good job.

Once the lights are done, you may or may not have the setting. Check it: Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

Settings -> Vehicle -> it will be to the right of "Headlights on Park"

If you have the right lights but no setting, then you need to do the following:

1. Have Tesla Engineering (just call customer support) enable the "curved lighting" option in your vehicle profile in their database

2. They will then push an OTA (not a firmware patch) to your car which will enable the setting

3. Take your car to the local SC and have them run a tool box body controller update

Then you will have working adaptive lights.

All I said “The missing Adaptive Headlight complementary retrofit installation in to my MS is still pending. Why? What is the plan?”

Tesla responded, “Thank you for reaching back out to us here at Tesla. Our teams are working on finalizing the plan for this retrofit to be completed by our service centers. I've reached out to our regional leadership in your area to see if we may be able to source any parts to have this retrofit completed for you before the plan is finalized. We will be sure to update as soon as we have some confirmation. I'm hoping to have more information available by early next week.”

I received a phone call from Dallas SC in next day or two.

I'm tempted to escalate again, but I know my SC hates me. I call weekly asking about this and I'm not sure if it's worth getting on their bad side.

A friend of mine has had her Model X to the service center twice now, they have tried to fix it. But failed.
Now the third time, they say "At the time of order the LED turning lights was not standard, it was part of the exterior lightning package which your car does not have".

Her Model X order was confirmed 2017-08-17, and built a week or two after that. And on the order, there only options were: Premium package, AP and self-driving.

Who is right?

As far as I know and my reserach, three position LED have been standard since the car came?

A friend of mine has had her Model X to the service center twice now, they have tried to fix it. But failed.
Now the third time, they say "At the time of order the LED turning lights was not standard, it was part of the exterior lightning package which your car does not have".

Her Model X order was confirmed 2017-08-17, and built a week or two after that. And on the order, there only options were: Premium package, AP and self-driving.

Who is right?

As far as I know and my reserach, three position LED have been standard since the car came?
She is definitely right

For those affected I received this message from corporate after escalating again asking about what the plan was.

"I received confirmation that internally we are finalizing the internal and external communications regarding the adaptive headlight correction/retrofit. As currently planned, you should receive a personal email from HQ on this by the 2nd week of March, as will the rest of the vehicles impacted.

We apologize for the miscommunication on this from the beginning, but there is a plan in place, and we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel to fix this for you and the other impacted owners. "

Who is right?

Your friend is right. All cars built after Julyish should have the adaptive lights standard. Any cars before that with premium package had them. So really there was no possible configuration where your friend shouldn't have them. There is no "exterior lighting package" option. I advise you tell her to escalate her request to the executive team

Your friend is right. All cars built after Julyish should have the adaptive lights standard. Any cars before that with premium package had them. So really there was no possible configuration where your friend shouldn't have them. There is no "exterior lighting package" option. I advise you tell her to escalate her request to the executive team

Thank you for confirming this. The service center is new, so pretty much new people so I can't be to harsh on them.
I have talked to them again, and they seem to listen and understand. They will take the matter up with someone more experienced it seems.

What did you say? I escalated 2 times, got free service the 2nd time. Each time they just have the SC call me and say they are waiting for word from Tesla on how to fix them.

I keep getting told they have the lights but still working on getting them working for my car. Not sure what is so special about my car. I see others getting theirs replaced on here but i've called probably 6 times about this and get the same answer. I keep getting told its a firmware issue to the control module. I've told them it's not a huge deal but if they are supposed to have them then I want the newest revision then.

The full LED adaptive headlamps with 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights (within headlamps) are not standard and are still part of the Premium Upgrades Package (even though it doesn't mention them anymore).

What are these 14 positions? I have late 2017 PUP Model X and I only see 3 LED lights light up as I turn the wheel:

2018-03-01 18_10_01.gif