Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm now struggling to get adaptive headlights fitted to my Model X (Nov 2017). Did yours come with it? If not which SC carried out the retrofit for you? Thanks.

Did you buy pre-owned? It's been more than 3 years since they had this misconfiguration on a batch of 2017 cars, including mine. You should have the adaptive headlights, even without PUP.

Did you buy pre-owned? It's been more than 3 years since they had this misconfiguration on a batch of 2017 cars, including mine. You should have the adaptive headlights, even without PUP.
I bought a demonstrator car in March 2018. It was delivered in Nov 2017, so I guess it was built around Sept 2017. I even told Tesla that I'd pay for and get the headlights fitted, I just want the configuration updated. The replies I received: 1 you have no pup therefore impossible, 2 we have no such option to update the config, 3 sorry your car came without it. It's really frustrating that Tesla is not willing to help and says that it's impossible when it had been done on numerous other (PUP and non-PUP) cars.

Yes, unfortunately Tesla lives in this fast, never look back world, and what happened in 2017/18 stays in 2017/18. Even when it happened, it took quite a bit of arm twisting and education to make Tesla retrofit the headlights. And most Service Centers didn't quite know how to reconfigure them properly. I actually had to direct my Service Center to a post here that told them what configuration and modules they had to update to get it to work! Now, 3 years after it happened, probably nobody who was familiar with the fiasco is left. And since you are in the UK where it was never a big issue, you may have even worse problems getting it taken care of. Even though you are willing to pay for it, if they are not familiar with updating the body module configuration, it still won't work.

Not that it makes you feel any better, but you can barely notice the adaptive headlights while driving. But I understand your feeling that you just want what you're suppose to have in your car...

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
I bought a demonstrator car in March 2018. It was delivered in Nov 2017, so I guess it was built around Sept 2017. I even told Tesla that I'd pay for and get the headlights fitted, I just want the configuration updated. The replies I received: 1 you have no pup therefore impossible, 2 we have no such option to update the config, 3 sorry your car came without it. It's really frustrating that Tesla is not willing to help and says that it's impossible when it had been done on numerous other (PUP and non-PUP) cars.

I had mine done at devon PA. Granted that was in 2017 and they were well aware after I told them just waited for directions and parts. Tesla service was different back then, id fully expect them to ignore or deny you today.

Yes, unfortunately Tesla lives in this fast, never look back world, and what happened in 2017/18 stays in 2017/18. Even when it happened, it took quite a bit of arm twisting and education to make Tesla retrofit the headlights. And most Service Centers didn't quite know how to reconfigure them properly. I actually had to direct my Service Center to a post here that told them what configuration and modules they had to update to get it to work! Now, 3 years after it happened, probably nobody who was familiar with the fiasco is left. And since you are in the UK where it was never a big issue, you may have even worse problems getting it taken care of. Even though you are willing to pay for it, if they are not familiar with updating the body module configuration, it still won't work.

Not that it makes you feel any better, but you can barely notice the adaptive headlights while driving. But I understand your feeling that you just want what you're suppose to have in your car...
Many thanks for getting back to me. Yeah it's very hard to fight it 4 years later the fact. I escalated it to the top manager of the UK service, but I was told off. So at the end of the day I will need to let it go. I contacted numerous services, I also offered to get the headlights fitted by myself. All I asked from Tesla is to update the vehicle config. It takes maybe 5 minutes, but the answer was: no. It's really disappointing that I can't get this done even if I pay for it. It's a safety feature and the reason why I noticed that this was missing is because I had a close call with a pedestrian who was walking in an unlit road when I turned in. Anyway. Thanks for getting back to me.

I had mine done at devon PA. Granted that was in 2017 and they were well aware after I told them just waited for directions and parts. Tesla service was different back then, id fully expect them to ignore or deny you today.
Hi. That's exactly what I've got. I didn't get anywhere no matter how many services and managers I contacted. It's really annoying that y introducing the two types of headlights Tesla saved 8 LEDs per side. That's maybe a $4 cost. It's a joke, but I left holding the bag. Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi. That's exactly what I've got. I didn't get anywhere no matter how many services and managers I contacted. It's really annoying that y introducing the two types of headlights Tesla saved 8 LEDs per side. That's maybe a $4 cost. It's a joke, but I left holding the bag. Thanks for getting back to me.
After explaining and explaining it took me a year to get them to put correct lights and replaced in 2019. Now fast forward they recently burned out and they replaced again with the old lights and now claim they have no idea what I'm talking about even when I show them the repair completed.:mad: