Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rain-sensing wipers a couple months out? That would be most excellent!
Month or two? Is that like 'three to six months, for sure'? :D

So the PUP S has dynamic/adaptive Fog and Headlight/turning? Hm.... marketing needs to talk to engineering, that's one bad description using the same words for half (whatever) the functionality.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingRockies
That’s what they said about AP1 parity last year!

A couple of months, so December then... ;) Auto wipers were said on Tesla.com "will" come in December 2016... not may, will... Let's hope December 2017 is it, then!

As for AP, actually this is what they said about December - not just AP1 parity but this, here they at least added a tiny bit of leeway but see the full EAP is being promised in the update, a single update no less as it is worded here, not some subset...

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

I took my car to the Service Center today for other issues and asked about the adaptive lights. The folks there agreed that the feature should be in the car but suspects that new builds, post 7/21, don't have them unless the owner ordered PUP. This however was pure speculation on their part because they couldn't get a clear answer from HQ... end of quarter, general chaos, etc.

But I watched a new owner take delivery of an S and it didn't have the lights. I didn't ask if they ordered PUP though.

A couple of months, so December then... ;) Auto wipers were said on Tesla.com "will" come in December 2016... not may, will... Let's hope December 2017 is it, then!

As for AP, actually this is what they said about December - not just AP1 parity but this, here they at least added a tiny bit of leeway but see the full EAP is being promised in the update, a single update no less as it is worded here, not some subset...

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

dammit man, I was just revelling in my 17.36 and thinking actually pretty close to parity
then you have to go ruin it by reminding me what I actually paid for.;)

We picked up our MX, vin XXX654XX today. Confirmed the presence of the adoptive lighting plus learned that the turn signal/fog light/ housing will also cast a light in the direction of a turn when the steering wheel turns.

Furthermore discovered that the interior metal door handles are lit as well as the grab rail that runs under the front door windows. Makes it very easy to locate where to grab the door to pull on.

All in all, it went well. No obvious problems. This is a non-PUP car. Didn't realize the front doors have mechanical assists for shutting. Many more features than our 2016 MS with AP!. I was told the rain sensing windshield wipers are still a month or two out.

You are the first non-pup person to report the presence of the adaptive headlights as well as fog lights.

Would it be possible to take a photo of your fog lights fixture and attach it here. I want to see the location of the extra led light on the fog lights that turn on when you steer the wheels. It does not seem to be present on mine.

Reactions: Musterion
You are the first non-pup person to report the presence of the adaptive headlights as well as fog lights.

Would it be possible to take a photo of your fog lights fixture and attach it here. I want to see the location of the extra led light on the fog lights that turn on when you steer the wheels. It does not seem to be present on mine.
And that seems very strange. My X (with PUP) must have been made a few weeks before that one (653xx) and I sure don't recall any 'extra' fog light bulbs. It does have the adaptive lights over the headlights, of course.

How many combinations are there here?!

Reactions: Musterion
I
And that seems very strange. My X (with PUP) must have been made a few weeks before that one (653xx) and I sure don't recall any 'extra' fog light bulbs. It does have the adaptive lights over the headlights, of course.

How many combinations are there here?!

I think we are learning something new here. It seems like the new adaptive lights in theory should be a combination of the adaptive headlights as well as the extra led light in the fog light fixture. Tesla might just have added the fog light stuff very recently. Still unclear what vins get the new fog light fixture. Mine is a 67xxx and I dont have either. Seems like "production hell"

@ab26's request, I just took these shots of our fog light and head light.

In the first shot, one can see two of the led lights and the third one is barely visible to the right. Sorry, do not know how to add arrows.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

This is the shot of the fog light, passenger side. The LED is right in the middle. Looking closely, it is the only LED that I see and it does not look moveable so unless there are two diodes in there, one for fog and one for turning, maybe Tesla means that the right or left fog light comes on when turning and operates separate from the turn signal lights that are stacked three high on the right side of the fixture.

Sorry, but your headlamp DOES NOT appear to have the extra LEDs for adaptive lighting.... There is just a piece of plastic there, like the rest of us....How did you confirm the presence of adaptive lighting?

It is puzzling that the fog lights don't have an extra LED like on the S though, so not sure what kind of cornering lights you actually have

In the first shot, one can see two of the led lights and the third one is barely visible to the right. Sorry, do not know how to add arrows.

View attachment 250233

View attachment 250234

This is the shot of the fog light, passenger side. The LED is right in the middle. Looking closely, it is the only LED that I see and it does not look moveable so unless there are two diodes in there, one for fog and one for turning, maybe Tesla means that the right or left fog light comes on when turning and operates separate from the turn signal lights that are stacked three high on the right side of the fixture.

@skip8jj I don't understand your fog light picture. I am attaching your lights with what I see annotated. The "green" ones are the yellow turn signals. The "blue" ones are the L shaped LED that have been present on both pup and non-pup cars. The "red" one is the fog light. I don't see any other LED lights. Can you clarify which light you are referring to when you say that it turns on / off when you turn the wheels.

IMG_0960.jpg

I just spoke with the lead tech at my Service Center. He confirmed they've had nationwide reports about this and Tesla is currently trying to figure out how to resolve it. He assured me I will be receiving the AFS.

Honestly it sounds like someone at the factory screwed up and forgot to make these headlights part of the standard configuration. Hopefully they will or will have to do right by us.

When did you order yours? My order was confirmed for August 3 and I took delivery on Sept 8.

Seattle SC just told me the turning headlights were not part of my non-PUP order.

When you ordered could you order the cold weather package or upgraded sound a la carte? Or was it one combined PUP package. If one combined PUP then they are lying to you. I ordered 8/10 and it definitely had changed.

When you ordered could you order the cold weather package or upgraded sound a la carte? Or was it one combined PUP package. If one combined PUP then they are lying to you. I ordered 8/10 and it definitely had changed.

I’m almost positive it was one combined PUP package but I’m not sure how to be sure. The Elektric article said this changed in late July!

I do have the fog lights and ambient lights. I see them in the UI.