Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@idleuser Thanks, I get all that - but i am very very surprised to see the DS and Fremont service to be ignorant about all this. The Fremont service even thinks that adaptive headlights and LED cornering lights are two different things (adaptive headlights being a part of premium package and LED cornering lights being a standard feature). No one seems to know what is going on.

The Fremont service even thinks that adaptive headlights and LED cornering lights are two different things (adaptive headlights being a part of premium package and LED cornering lights being a standard feature).
It appears that Tesla is not being consistent with their terminology. The website order configuration page uses a different term than the owner's manual section that you posted. I try to follow this stuff pretty closely and I was confused.
Sounds like they merged Auto Highbeams and Adaptive (cornering) lights and made them standard. Maybe made it smarter too.
The control to turn Auto Highbeams on/off is in a different place in the Controls screen. And I thought Auto Highbeams was part of the EAP option.

Last edited:
Is it possible at one point Tesla used the fog lights for cornering lights? My Audi S6 does this. I know the current cornering lights have 3 degrees but maybe the older one just has 1 and turns the lower fog lights on.

You could try this by turning the wheel and checking the lights.

Is it possible at one point Tesla used the fog lights for cornering lights? My Audi S6 does this. I know the current cornering lights have 3 degrees but maybe the older one just has 1 and turns the lower fog lights on.

You could try this by turning the wheel and checking the lights.
I very much doubt it (I haven't actually checked). The headlight unit has an array of lights that come on when you turn the steering wheel. See Bjorn's video below for a demo...

Yeah I get how the current ones work. I was positing that maybe in earlier generations they used the fog lights instead but I guess since this is a newer car it would probably have full adaptive or none at all.
The adaptive headlights worked this way right from the beginning (there hasn't been any significant changes to the hardware yet). It would seem that all vehicles come with the same hardware, but originally only the PUP vehicles "enabled" the feature. A lot of these features are software controlled, so it's entirely possible that the car is misconfigured and it could be fixed from head-office.

The adaptive headlights worked this way right from the beginning (there hasn't been any significant changes to the hardware yet). It would seem that all vehicles come with the same hardware, but originally only the PUP vehicles "enabled" the feature. A lot of these features are software controlled, so it's entirely possible that the car is misconfigured and it could be fixed from head-office.

That would be nice.

Here is a thought.

When Tesla upgraded to AP "2.1" (probably not 2.5 because no interior camera) on the Model S/X recently, it also changed the headlights (new part number). What if the new headlights don't have adaptive lights enabled in software yet? Similar to AEB not being enabled yet due to new radar?

Just a thought.

Paging @lunitiks for the headlight part number...

So I just got back from Fremont service. They don’t have much idea of what the led cornering lights are suppose to do. As for adaptive headlights they are saying that that’s actually different and only part of the pup. Very frustrating. They said they will follow up internally and get back to get a better picture.

I looked at an old model x with pup and the headlight hw are actually different. There are additional leds on the upper half of the led fixture which is not present in my car.

So I just got back from Fremont service. They don’t have much idea of what the led cornering lights are suppose to do. As for adaptive headlights they are saying that that’s actually different and only part of the pup. Very frustrating. They said they will follow up internally and get back to get a better picture.

I looked at an old model x with pup and the headlight hw are actually different. There are additional leds on the upper half of the led fixture which is not present in my car.

Thanks for posting this as I await a new Model X, and ordered a new VIN and non-PUP Sept. build and specifically wanted the features newly listed as standard including the exterior and interior lighting upgrades. The 3-position adaptive lights are most definitely not the same as the cornering lights (which just turn on and off and are not part of the headlight assembly) and adaptive lighting should be included in your build. The change was made around July 22 and you ordered after that. The option code you are looking for is FG02 Exterior Lighting Package. You can check your option codes yourself via the spec link URL. If you have it, did you add it to your due bill at delivery? This code historically started showing up in new non-PUP builds according to my tracking when pricing my own build. (Previously FG02 only appeared with PUP). Could you also tell me your VIN range? Mine is 68XXX.

In my case some similar “factory surprise” happened at my 2013 Model delivery (“fog-gate” — fog lights on my original order but missing in car and I was not the only one) and so this time for Model X I got confirmation through Palo Alto in writing about various features which would be included in my specific build including the adaptive lighting and fog lights. That process revealed the promised standard tow package was NOT included so we had to deal with that. In 2013 I had to get a VP to intervene to solve the issue. I hope this gets sorted for you in a better fashion. I can’t believe Fremont would not know what is going on.

Did you get the tow package (TW01)? Regardless of whether you want it or not, its presence will be a flag of whether they are using the new standard option list or not. I will add adaptive lighting to my personal check list right next to busted A/C. How’s the A/C working for you by the way? :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this as I await a new Model X, and ordered a new VIN and non-PUP Sept. build and specifically wanted the features newly listed as standard including the exterior and interior lighting upgrades. The 3-position adaptive lights are most definitely not the same as the cornering lights (which just turn on and off and are not part of the headlight assembly) and adaptive lighting should be included in your build. The change was made around July 22 and you ordered after that. The option code you are looking for is FG02 Exterior Lighting Package. You can check your option codes yourself via the spec link URL. If you have it, did you add it to your due bill at delivery? This code historically started showing up in new non-PUP builds according to my tracking when pricing my own build. (Previously FG02 only appeared with PUP). Could you also tell me your VIN range? Mine is 68XXX.

In my case some similar “factory surprise” happened at my 2013 Model delivery (“fog-gate” — fog lights on my original order but missing in car and I was not the only one) and so this time for Model X I got confirmation through Palo Alto in writing about various features which would be included in my specific build including the adaptive lighting and fog lights. That process revealed the promised standard tow package was NOT included so we had to deal with that. In 2013 I had to get a VP to intervene to solve the issue. I hope this gets sorted for you in a better fashion. I can’t believe Fremont would not know what is going on.

Did you get the tow package (TW01)? Regardless of whether you want it or not, its presence will be a flag of whether they are using the new standard option list or not. I will add adaptive lighting to my personal check list right next to busted A/C. How’s the A/C working for you by the way? :)

I got all the other "new" standard features (e.g. Tow package, Fog lights, and interior ambient lights). @Musterion , can you clarify on your comment about adaptive lights and cornering lights. I think they are actually the same and depending on where you look, it is referenced one or the other.

The FG02 option code was present when I ordered the car. I also wonder if the adaptive / LED cornering lights have their own option code or whether they are bundled with the fog lights.

On the X the front lights have been 1034326-00-A since at least october 2016. No clue what it was before that

EDIT: BTW that was the left, with fog lights. The right (still with fog lights) is 1034327-00-A.
Without foglights LH is 1034324-00-A, while RH is 1034325-00-A.

So I just got back from Fremont service. They don’t have much idea of what the led cornering lights are suppose to do. As for adaptive headlights they are saying that that’s actually different and only part of the pup
I'm not sure that is correct. It is obvious to me what the "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" do (that is the text of the description for them in the "Standard Equipment" list on the S/X custom configuration web pages). Those lights illuminate in the manner described in the "Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS)" section of the Owners Manual that is accessible on the center display, a photo of which was posted upthread. Shortly after I took delivery of my X I tested them out at night, and they function as described and as shown in Bjorn's YouTube video which was linked to upthread.

The 3-position adaptive lights are most definitely not the same as the cornering lights (which just turn on and off and are not part of the headlight assembly)
The "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights" function as "cornering lights". And those lights are part of the headlight assembly, I can clearly see that on the X that I own. And in my center display I can select "Adaptive Lighting" to be on or off. There is no control for "Turning Lights" to be on or off.

The owner's manual does not mention "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights". It does describe in some detail the "Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS)" feature.

If you think those are two different features, please describe what each one does and how they differ.

I think all this confusion is because Tesla uses two different terms to describe the same feature: one term is used in marketing materials (like the online configuration page) and the other term is used in the Owners Manual. There is no evidence I can find that there are two different features.

I think even some Tesla service and sales people are confused about this.

We are having the same discussion over on the Model S forum. Like the X, the S was supposed to come with standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility". Well, my headlights don't have the extra 3 LEDs in the upper row and I don't have the Adaptive option in my settings, but my fog lights appear to have an extra LED that lights when I turn the wheel. Is the the actual new feature but someone misrepresented it on the features page? I saved that page when I placed my order and it definitely said Three-position dynamic LED turning lights, so it wasn't added later. Tesla has some explaining to do to all recent owners regarding this feature (or lack of feature)

• Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Exactly as Speedy said. Here's the sister thread in the S forum: Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

Same discussion. We were all expecting the lights that Bjorn Nyland shows here:
, and the loaner X that I got from Tesla had this feature and the "adaptive lighting" system setting. But on my S, which I tested tonight, just has an extra fog light to enables when turning the wheel in Drive.

Kind sucks...

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer