Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Screw-up? (Three-position dynamic LED Turning Light)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a response from the Escalation Team saying they're looking into this and will keep me updated.

That's what I have received. I refused delivery so they are looking into ability to retrofit. But how long does it take to find out if the headlights can be retrofitted or not? Or, Whether they have to re-wire or not?

My speculative wild guess is that when the former PUP headlights went to a standard feature the code was not changed.

Hmmmm....I wonder how many were delivered after 7/21/17 that do not have the 3way dynamic headlights, that should.

That's what I have received. I refused delivery so they are looking into ability to retrofit. But how long does it take to find out if the headlights can be retrofitted or not? Or, Whether they have to re-wire or not?

My speculative wild guess is that when the former PUP headlights went to a standard feature the code was not changed.

Hmmmm....I wonder how many were delivered after 7/21/17 that do not have the 3way dynamic headlights, that should.
I am pretty sure most people who took delivery did not even notice about the issue or know about the said feature.

Reactions: Bonlaw

I am fairly confident that ALL non-PUP cars after 7/21/17 do not have the 3 way dynamic headlights. It's probably that owners taking delivery did not notice it.

Reactions: Bonlaw
I wonder how many don't order PUP, really? We have a few here, of course, but since they've made it the only 'real' option on purpose, should be interesting to see how they fix this and if they do anything going forward. As you say, how many people (outside TMC members) would know/notice/care/not have PUP. (I'm 3 for 4 (have PUP :D ).)

Ugh. I have a non-PUP scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Was planning to Xpel the front and Opticoat on Friday. I can't believe I might refuse delivery over the incorrect headlights. :( Even if they can swap to the correct ones later, it's still another trip to the detailer plus the risk that replacing the headlights damages the Xpel on the surrounding parts....

Ugh. I have a non-PUP scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Was planning to Xpel the front and Opticoat on Friday. I can't believe I might refuse delivery over the incorrect headlights. :( Even if they can swap to the correct ones later, it's still another trip to the detailer plus the risk that replacing the headlights damages the Xpel on the surrounding parts....

It is a royal pain on all fronts including financing. Let's hope I get an answer soon, before your scheduled deliver.

Reactions: DrivingRockies

That happened to me. I was schedule to put xpel last week but holding off till this get resolved.

Please update us with your delivery on Thursday.

The one I was to pick up is in the middle. The ones on either side had the correct headlights. Comparison of X side by side. You can see the top of headlight is a light silver and the correct lights have dark 3 separate divided areas ad in post # 49.
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1756.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I posted this same info on the Model S thread. It probably applies to the X as well...
------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have received clarification from my Service Center. My car is configured and built correctly.

Basically, as of the most recent configuration changes, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights ( within fog lights) are standard. The full LED adaptive headlamps with 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights (within headlamps) are not standard and are still part of the Premium Upgrades Package (even though it doesn't mention them anymore).

The three-position refers to left, center, and right positions, not 3 LED positions. When turning left the left fog light LED turns on, when center both are off, and when turning right, the right fog light LED turns on.

In a nutshell:

Before Configuration Update:
PUP: Dynamic LED Fog Lamps & Dynamic LED Headlamps
Non-PUP: No Dynamic Features

After Configuration Update:
Non-PUP: Dynamic LED Fog Lamps

As I somewhat expected, what is now standard on the post July based model is the rather weak fog light based dynamic cornering LED light, that turns on as you turn into it. The fancier Adaptive 14 LED dynamic turning lights on the headlamp assembly, with the option to turn on or off, is NOT standard.

I'll leave it to the forum to debate Tesla's poor use of the same feature name to describe essentially two different features, essentially resulting in unnecessary confusion and grief for many folks.

I posted this same info on the Model S thread. It probably applies to the X as well...
------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have received clarification from my Service Center. My car is configured and built correctly.

Basically, as of the most recent configuration changes, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights ( within fog lights) are standard. The full LED adaptive headlamps with 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights (within headlamps) are not standard and are still part of the Premium Upgrades Package (even though it doesn't mention them anymore).

The three-position refers to left, center, and right positions, not 3 LED positions. When turning left the left fog light LED turns on, when center both are off, and when turning right, the right fog light LED turns on.

In a nutshell:

Before Configuration Update:
Non-PUP: No Dynamic Features

After Configuration Update:
Non-PUP: Dynamic LED Fog Lamps

As I somewhat expected, what is now standard on the post July based model is the rather weak fog light based dynamic cornering LED light, that turns on as you turn into it. The fancier Adaptive 14 LED dynamic turning lights on the headlamp assembly, with the option to turn on or off, is NOT standard.

I'll leave it to the forum to debate Tesla's poor use of the same feature name to describe essentially two different features, essentially resulting in unnecessary confusion and grief for many folks.

Posting my original response to your post in this thread as well:

"Thanks for the note. This might be something where things start to diverge for the Model S and Model X. In my Model X, I don't see the dynamic LED fog lamps that you mention. There's no additional lights near the fog light assembly that turn on/off when you turn the wheel."

We picked up our MX, vin XXX654XX today. Confirmed the presence of the adoptive lighting plus learned that the turn signal/fog light/ housing will also cast a light in the direction of a turn when the steering wheel turns.

Furthermore discovered that the interior metal door handles are lit as well as the grab rail that runs under the front door windows. Makes it very easy to locate where to grab the door to pull on.

All in all, it went well. No obvious problems. This is a non-PUP car. Didn't realize the front doors have mechanical assists for shutting. Many more features than our 2016 MS with AP!. I was told the rain sensing windshield wipers are still a month or two out.

We picked up our MX, vin XXX654XX today. Confirmed the presence of the adoptive lighting plus learned that the turn signal/fog light/ housing will also cast a light in the direction of a turn when the steering wheel turns.

Furthermore discovered that the interior metal door handles are lit as well as the grab rail that runs under the front door windows. Makes it very easy to locate where to grab the door to pull on.

All in all, it went well. No obvious problems. This is a non-PUP car. Didn't realize the front doors have mechanical assists for shutting. Many more features than our 2016 MS with AP!. I was told the rain sensing windshield wipers are still a month or two out.
Rain-sensing wipers a couple months out? That would be most excellent!