Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla vs Tractor Trailer with same outcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another excuse to take pops at Tesla and AP.

Whilst it’s sad someone lost their life and I’m sad for their family the driver was clearly a fool for not paying attention and being in full control of their car at all times.

There is no question about AP and shouldn’t even be apart of the discussion, it’s driver error, period.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Another excuse to take pops at Tesla and AP.

Whilst it’s sad someone lost their life and I’m sad for their family the driver was clearly a fool for not paying attention and being in full control of their car at all times.

There is no question about AP and shouldn’t even be apart of the discussion, it’s driver error, period.
Why didn't the AEB work??

A question to be answered for sure but largely irrelevant!

Why didn’t the driver see the massive trailer in front of them and think “oh boy, that’s gonna hurt” and stop. I suspect because they was asleep or not paulyong attention.
what if the driver was checking his rearview? maybe he looked over his shoulder or side mirror to merge into another lane. many accidents happen despite a driver acting
responsibly. and a lot can happen in front of you in those 3 seconds. my collision alert popped on when I did this a few days ago. I probably would have hit
someone without the warning. I was looking to change lanes, not distracted, not playing with my phone, etc. people automatically assume a distraction occurred.

I do think this media hype is warranted. I know I will get lots of disagrees, but here goes...

Tesla sells Autopilot and says that it is safer than a human driving. Yes, they tell you to watch it and make sure you are always in control. The problem is that when you stop steering actively and applying throttle and brake yourself, your driving skills become weaker. This really is a known fact. Ask your teenage daughter to calculate a tip...she will pull out her phone to do so. She does not have the skill to do a simple 20% calculation not because she has never learned that, but because she does not mentally do that on a daily basis. The same applies here. When you opt to purchase EAP, AP, FSD or whatever they call it tomorrow, you make a choice to be a "beta tester" in this emerging tech. I for one will not participate in that testing. I did the EAP trial a few months ago and frankly I am a 1000% better driver than that EAP/Nav on Autopilot was.
That said, I don't think people buying it for their own use case are wrong, but I do think the more they use EAP/FSD the weaker their own driving skills will become, and the more inattentive they will become when EAP is active.
This is a fact and even Elon has said as much. The people killed using EAP are usually the heaviest users.

I have no doubt this accident involved a driver using EAP and not paying attention. It is still that drivers fault, but I would bet if he had not purchased EAP and was not using it that day he would still be alive.
Sorry...now I'll get ready for the arrows to fly..

I do think this media hype is warranted. I know I will get lots of disagrees, but here goes...

Tesla sells Autopilot and says that it is safer than a human driving. Yes, they tell you to watch it and make sure you are always in control. The problem is that when you stop steering actively and applying throttle and brake yourself, your driving skills become weaker. This really is a known fact. Ask your teenage daughter to calculate a tip...she will pull out her phone to do so. She does not have the skill to do a simple 20% calculation not because she has never learned that, but because she does not mentally do that on a daily basis. The same applies here. When you opt to purchase EAP, AP, FSD or whatever they call it tomorrow, you make a choice to be a "beta tester" in this emerging tech. I for one will not participate in that testing. I did the EAP trial a few months ago and frankly I am a 1000% better driver than that EAP/Nav on Autopilot was.
That said, I don't think people buying it for their own use case are wrong, but I do think the more they use EAP/FSD the weaker their own driving skills will become, and the more inattentive they will become when EAP is active.
This is a fact and even Elon has said as much. The people killed using EAP are usually the heaviest users.

I have no doubt this accident involved a driver using EAP and not paying attention. It is still that drivers fault, but I would bet if he had not purchased EAP and was not using it that day he would still be alive.
Sorry...now I'll get ready for the arrows to fly..
the arrows may have come out a year ago, but not so much anymore. you are right about complacency. It drives me(ha) nuts when I read claims about Autopilot being safer blah blah blah.
Sure it's safer, because it has a safety backup(human) that is in the safest driving demographic.