Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another totalled Model 3: Passengers OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issues discovered on the totaled 60mph crash.
1. The passengers arm hit the screen and shattered it. This caused injuries and what looks like a good amount of blood loss.
2. Screen was shattered and could not access the glovebox to get registration and insurance information.

Solution
Tweet from Elon on 2-15-18 "Adding software feature to open glovebox automatically when car comes to a stop after a crash. Will look at bonding a thin plastic sheet to the front or back of screen."

I wonder if the emergency braking activated in that bad crash? In theory that is one big safety plus for Model 3 is that the sensors should have seen the crash coming and automatically applied the brakes.
That might have prevented it from being even worse if emergency auto braking did activate.

Reactions: C141medic
Look at how sharply bent the crash bar is. It is like they ran into something square, and very solid.

I look forward to the release of more details...

I agree. It looked like the car hit something that is 2feet wide like pole, but something that wasn't connected to ground...so glad the people in the model3 were safe - gives us all a great feeling. Hope no one in that other car (or object) were seriously affected.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 10.24.47 AM.png

Reactions: MP3Mike
I agree. It looked like the car hit something that is 2feet wide like pole, but something that wasn't connected to ground...
Initially my thought because of the general shape was "hit a large vehicle" but missed that, perhaps a load extending a short ways off the back of a large vehicle, like a construction materials delivery truck w/a forklift piggybacked?

I wonder if the emergency braking activated in that bad crash? In theory that is one big safety plus for Model 3 is that the sensors should have seen the crash coming and automatically applied the brakes.
That might have prevented it from being even worse if emergency auto braking did activate.

Not currently. He was apparently going 60mph, and right now the Model 3 emergency braking doesn't work above 50mph.