Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another totalled Model 3: Passengers OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
From Reddit: Totaled my Model 3 • r/teslamotors

Photo album: Imgur

lsvUBFR.jpg

I read that Tesla's are one of the safest cars on the road today. They are right! The car is totaled but I am fine, my right ankle is swollen from hitting the gas pedal but i can still walk fine. Had this been a regular ICE vehicle I would be dead or in a lot worse condition. Everyone from the paramedics to the tow truck driver said that people don't usually walk away from this. I already put in another model 3 reservation.
My only complaint about this car is that during the crash my passenger's arm hit the screen and shattered it which prevented me from opening the glove box w/ title and insurance. Needs a manual option. Also my passenger got a pretty big cut on her arm. Maybe add a screen airbag. All in all it is a phenomenal car and I owe my life to Tesla.

Elon has responded:
Adding software feature to open glovebox automatically when car comes to a stop after a crash. Will look at bonding a thin plastic sheet to the front or back of screen.

Related Teslarati article: Tesla Model 3 owner shares insight on vehicle safety after 60 mph crash

Last edited:
So airbag array definitely isn't big enough to shield passenger from the screen, I was wondering about that. I assume the steering wheel bag does though since it's got a better angle on it? EDIT: Actually thinking about it, that can't be true either. Even in back-to-the-seat position the screen needs to be within arms reach to work the controls. So it's just luck of direction of crash that'd keep driver's arm off it. The airbag out of the wheel would just make it a little tougher to reach, so it might not be as direct a hit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shoal007
Actually I’ve gotten priority 3 times with my single Model S so it might not be long until this guy gets back into a Model 3.

That's too bad for us non-owners, and flies in direct opposition to Tesla's own, current FAQ:

Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
Yes. If you have owned one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you have owned two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

Obviously not your fault, but unfortunate that Tesla is doing this without changing their website to reflect it.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to reserve three Model 3s? I thought Tesla's policy was a max of two reservations per account.

Sorry to see, though great testament to the safety of the 3 given everyone walked away from a, quickly redacted statement of hitting stationary car at 60mp/h.

Any have more details on the incident context? Does make me wonder if this is another radar not reacting to stationary traffic incident. It’s likely too late for the op to disclaim liability after it their own words were posted and then went wide. May as well highlight if this was another lack of understanding / reading TACC limitations to educate others.