Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another trade in question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously i will be asking a Tesla rep this question... but would be good to be pre armed with info of others who have experience.

Hopefully picking up a model 3 soon and want to trade in my wife's car.

Trouble is we live hundreds of miles from the pick up point and there is no way she can come with me.

I have traded in cars like this before without issue as long as paperwork is all signed by the registered keeper (the wife) - but I see a little comment on my trade in email from Tesla that the registered keeper needs to be present at hand over.

This would be a massive pain for me (well impossible actually) and seems unnecessary as it is not a legal requirement.

Has anyone else had a similar experience / had a bit of compromise?

I had the same situation.

The V5 is in my wifes name and she couldn't come with us to collect, so she printed out and signed a letter with a scan of her driving licence with a paragraph saying she authorizes the sale. So address on order matched licence which matched the name and address on the V5 - I thought we had all the bases covered.

When we arrived last weekend to collect the car they could not give a stuff, hand over V5, keys and service book and it was done.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
They didn't check anything when I picked up - they said they'd check drivers license later but they never did. It didn't even look like they checked the V5C against the actual car - they just stuffed it in an envelope

I had the same situation.

The V5 is in my wifes name and she couldn't come with us to collect, so she printed out and signed a letter with a scan of her driving licence with a paragraph saying she authorizes the sale. So address on order matched licence which matched the name and address on the V5 - I thought we had all the bases covered.

When we arrived last weekend to collect the car they could not give a stuff, hand over V5, keys and service book and it was done.

Thanks - that reassures me!