Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you search their SEC filings for marketing, you'll find they do spend money on it. Putting on EVents, maintaining and updating the web site, showing up at trade shows (they were actually at Tokyo Motor Show 2019, I was there and saw them (which was a surprise), running the stores, etc. can be considered marketing.

SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc. says

Oddly, the previous year's SEC filing had had some discrepancies on years that overlapped.
SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

If you visit Search for Jobs | Tesla and search either for marketing, or select job category marketing & communications, you'll find a non-zero # of openings.

Couple things here-

1) Yup- unlike some folks in the thread I can happily admit when someone has better facts- they do in fact spend on marketing.

2) $0 spend on advertising I believe would be the correct statement. While I recognize your quote has the word advertising in it because they lump all 3 things together- the same document also says this:

Historically, we have been able to generate significant media coverage of our company and our products, and we believe we will continue to do so. Such media coverage and word of mouth are the current primary drivers of our sales leads and have helped us achieve sales without traditional advertising and at relatively low marketing costs

(bold added)

So marketing is not $0 (launch events, car shows, keeping stores open etc) but they don't pay for advertising.

Indeed as Elon Musk mentioned on the recent Q4 call-

Elon Musk said:
It's hard to think of a similar product with such strong demand that it can generate more than $20 billion in revenue with zero advertising spend. I think that's like where we do say that from time-time and I think it's often overlooked, but to have the highest demand electric vehicle in the world with no advertising spend is I think quite remarkable and speaks to the nature of the product and the fact that the product itself is compelling enough to generate that demand without much of advertising.

(bold added)

So my use of the term marketing was absolutely wrong, advertising would've been the correct term.

Apologies for the error, and thanks again for catching it (and for actually sourcing your correction!)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
When you look at the time frame of things it is not long at all.

Do you regularly take your eyes off the road for long enough to crash in to another vehicle?

I guess the frequent nags don’t qualify as that?

Clearly not. If his hands were not on the wheel for over 7 seconds and that was long enough to crash into another vehicle then clearly the "frequent" nags are not frequent enough. At 70 MPH I'd say 2 seconds is probably the limit, and just making a noise isn't adequate either.

Also it clearly says the driver should be paying attention and be ready to take over at anytime.

Because no warning sign was ever ignored, especially when it's been seen 1000 times and ignored without incident.

• Disagree
Reactions: BikerPeaBody
We don't really know this. The car is not able to determine this.

True. What we can say is that he wasn't applying much torque to the wheel. Given that he did nothing to avoid the collision it seems certain that even if his hand was resting on the wheel he wasn't paying any attention. Torque on the wheel is a very poor substitute for monitoring attention.

Do you regularly take your eyes off the road for long enough to crash in to another vehicle?

Clearly not. If his hands were not on the wheel for over 7 seconds and that was long enough to crash into another vehicle then clearly the "frequent" nags are not frequent enough. At 70 MPH I'd say 2 seconds is probably the limit, and just making a noise isn't adequate either.

Because no warning sign was ever ignored, especially when it's been seen 1000 times and ignored without incident.
So what are you saying Tesla should do here? Nags every half second? But if sound isn’t enough are you suggesting the car start slowing down and come to a stop if the hands aren’t on the wheel? Or are you just not a fan of AP at all. Genuinely interested as your response is confusing.

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
Status
Not open for further replies.