TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another Unlimited Supercharging (return) theory: beta test

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CameronB, May 22, 2017.

1. CameronB

CameronB Member

I have no idea if there could be any validity to this idea, but thought I'd throw it out there anyhow ;)

What if (in addition to an obvious Q1 sales lever) the plan was always to "return" FUSC (at least via referral) and the last few months of paid supercharging was just to ensure that the whole paid supercharging scheme would work correctly for Model 3?

In other words, what if this was all just an advanced beta of the paid supercharging software. With less than 25K Model S and Model Xs delivered between end of old FUSC and now, it let Tesla test many scenarios...the 1000 mile (or equivalant in km) free limit as well as ensuring charges happened after that limit was reached. Tested charges in both pay per kw mode and pay per minute mode (in those areas where they had to do that). And test in the US and abroad.

So maybe the 25K cars for the last few months has been a test fleet to make sure paid supercharging would work flawlessly before Tesla starts to really ramp up Model 3 production.

2. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I would imagine Tesla could test that simple piece of software just fine internally.

Agree on it being a sales lever for Q1 and reversal likely going to be a Q2 lever to close orders and push to get more fleet purchases of larger pack vehicles - im sure tesloop would have a fleet of 100D's instead of 90D's right now had it not been for unltd supercharging.

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Or they needed some way to boost Model S sales AND to differentiate from Model 3 and they discovered in the past several months that the SC revenue wasn't enough to worry about.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. CameronB

CameronB Member

That's a good thought as well.

• Like x 1
  5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

You can't really base the SC revenue on 1 quarter alone considering they had just started to deliver the cars and those came with 400kwh of free electricity.
    So of course there will be very little revenue

6. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

This is a sales boost and Model differentiator marketing scheme for sure. I cannot imagine scaling for long term with unlimited free super-charging model with the company bleeding money, especially when expanding the slots and locations as well. Its going to go away soon for sure in all likelihood once the 3 deliveries begin.

anyone on the fence, if you had an intention of "potentially" changing your 3 pre-order to an S, this is as good a time as ever to do so and lock in FUSC.

I really hope they dont back track and remove FUSC for those who bought one with it later on, is it part of the documentation we received? I dont recall it being a "contract" as such saying FUSC for life of the VIN but maybe I'm wrong (I certainly hope I am)

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It is going away, I thought the promotion was only until the end of the year.

8. oktane

oktane Active Member

Plot twist Model 3 will also get FUSC near end of quarter.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Barry

Barry Member

My theory: Charging for SCing discourages existing owners of Model S's that are 2-4 years old to sell and replace.

It's kinda like how Microsoft stifles the PC hardware industry. It's such a hassle to transfer everything over to a new PC that people hang on to them until they absolutely need to replace it.