TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another Use for Rear Camera Going Forward

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gavine, Jul 25, 2014.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I'm always concerned with damaging the front lip when pulling in to a parking spot with a curb in front. My wife discovered that you can use the rear camera to aid in this. When inching forward into the spot, look at the rear camera and as soon as you can see the parking lines, you know you're in the spot. Brilliant.

Here's a picture of my screen once I pulled into the spot. Pretty simple and I hope everyone enjoys using this idea.

rear cam pic.JPG

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

At least around here, the length of parking spots vary wildly. There are tons the S sticks out a bit in the back even if I pull all the way up. A neat tip, but I'd be concerned about unknowingly pulling into a shallow spot.

3. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

@gavine: Great tip - I will have to try that! Thanks!

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

We haven't seen that issue in NJ. Maybe there is a regulation here that requires spots be a certain depth?

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed. I tried this once or twice, but spot widths and depths vary greatly (is there a standard?), so in reality, it's only useful if you know the spot and that the lines match up with what you're aiming for.

6. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

I use it when I drive through one spot to park facing out on the other side - as soon as I can see the painted dividing line in the camera, I stop.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yes. that also works really well for backing into a spot.

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Which s/w release has those handy arrows? Just kidding :) I use the b/u camera for the same thing, I also know I'm far enough into my garage when I can see 1 full tile behind me.

9. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Yep. Use that all the time to make sure I'm in the parking spot far enough but not too far.

10. Science->Truth

Like many, I also worry about scuffing the lower front on parking bumpers. A front, downward tilted camera would be a great option. Its impossible to judge exactly horizontal approach distance, or the height of the curb or bumper vis a vis the low Tesla. With a previous car, I once parked over a parking stop with no problem, but when I backed out, two rebar were sticking up just a half inch, but they hooked under the plastic lower bumper piece and ripped it right off.

11. ABVA

ABVA Member

I usually "Back in" to a parking spot, so that back up camera automatically comes on and very clearly shows where the curb is. Secondly, rear of the car is much higher compared to the front end and that prevents scuffing. Other times I have used the b/u camera while driving which eliminates most of the blind spots.

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

That happens a lot (with the rebar), though I guess it's more of a North America problem, most spaces are not like that elsewhere, but the curbs can be much angrier, my old street had granite curb stones, and were brutal to rims. You never forget that crunching sound!

13. flashflood

flashflood Member

I also use the rear camera while driving. Provides perfect visibility into the blind spot.

14. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

great simple idea. Simplicity rules the nest as always.

15. Great Dane

Great Dane Member

great idea
    tried it today
    and it worked
    if you park at the same places all the time
    you can get used to the length of the parking lines and do it
    backing in is also the preferred way but sometimes the drivers door will face a wall and you cant get out

16. ABVA

ABVA Member

You might want to look at artsci's solution, here is the link:

Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD

17. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Which would also be relatively easy to achieve in software, to provide a drivers blind spot aid. My previous car (A5) used the rear camera for blind spot detection, but I think it also had sensors in the mirror housings.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Not so easy to achieve in software as you might think. WhiteP85 spent two months designing the circuit for the camera switch, and this was just to switch between a front and rear image on the touchscreen with two Tesla cameras mounted on the the car -- the stock Tesla camera on the rear and another mounted on the front.

19. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

True, 'easy' is the wrong word, but I would think it would be do-able, for Tesla, at least?

20. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I tried gavine's trick and it worked perfectly. Thanks!