Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Used Model S pre-buy questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys/girls

New here, living in Hong Kong and thinking about buying a 2016 Used Model S.
There are not many available and the insurance is pretty crazy at the moment.
Models are usually 60, 60D, 70, 70D, 90D..........haven't seen any of the others 75s, 85s

A few things I've noticed when compared to USA/UK
No more free supercharger on Used car....they disable it...Confirmed by sale agent
No Premium Connectivity...disabled/cancelled
Warranty is similar...4 years/80000km from the time I pickup the car
8 year battery/drive is from the date of manufacture
No VIN number to view/check on HK website
No basic history....'Clean History' or 'Repaired'

Besides the obvious when I inspect the car before buying, what else should I do/check?

-Use the Tesla VIN search website at the showroom to check status of Repair/Recall bulletins of the car?
-Ask for history of what updates recalls etc etc have been done to the car?
-Check exterior...paint, body, wheels
-Check sunroof rubber seals??
-I need to operate ALL the electric items right? mirrors, folding, sunroof, air conditioning for smell, heat/cool seats
-Check door handle open and close with zero noise?
-Check the key/fob?
-Check main Screen, Reverse cam and other cameras?

Any other suggestions?

Vin numbers can be found on here as are all the inventory cars (you can also see both Tesla and non 3rd party listings). There's also a used car buyers checklist

Tesla Info: new and used inventory in Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Hong Kong, France, Sweden, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, UAE.

Tesla recalls outstanding can be found/checked here

VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

I'd also check battery degradation, advice on how to do so is also on the top website.

As for supercharging and connectivity, yes, thats going everywhere on tesla used cars.

Vin numbers can be found on here as are all the inventory cars (you can also see both Tesla and non 3rd party listings). There's also a used car buyers checklist

Tesla Info: new and used inventory in Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Hong Kong, France, Sweden, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, UAE.

Tesla recalls outstanding can be found/checked here

VIN Recall Search | Tesla Service

I'd also check battery degradation, advice on how to do so is also on the top website.

As for supercharging and connectivity, yes, thats going everywhere on tesla used cars.

Thank you!

This is the delivery checklist I used:
Delivery Checklist
Thanks, I've printed it to use.

My god, the jargon associated with Tesla.
Those Tesla Info and EV CPO websites help, trying to get my head around the terms and what it actually has.

Regarding AP, agent just said...No side cameras=AP1, Side camera=AP2

..but doing a search using HK CPO inventory (2015 and 2016 cars) and those websites above I've found:

There are cars with NO AP at all.....that means a basic Speed cruise control right?
Some have AP (no idea what that means)
Some have AP1 but its NOT active (how is this possible? Tesla deactivated it OR the previous owner didn't pay for AP activation and just wanted basic cruise control?)
Some have AP1 and active
Some have NA HW2....which I assume is AP2 with hardware 2.0 only

Then there are HW2.5, HW3, FSD.....but all 3 are only for the newer cars 2018+?

Hi,
I’m looking into buying a used Tesla model S, under 30K miles and 2017 or newer in the US. Any advice on going through Tesla? I’ve read some posts from last year and the experience did not sound that great. I’ve found one at a Nissan dealership locally that i test drove and the car is in great condition but I will not get the extended warranty that i could get from Tesla. Thoughts? Thank you!

There are cars with NO AP at all.....that means a basic Speed cruise control right?
- cvorrect, cars without Autpilot hardware or Autopilot hardware but without it turned on have basic fixed speed cruise

Some have AP (no idea what that means)
- Autopilot

Some have AP1 but its NOT active (how is this possible? Tesla deactivated it OR the previous owner didn't pay for AP activation and just wanted basic cruise control?)
- Turning on autopilot was an option for many years and when cars were first shipped with the hardware the software didn't even exist, much like people are today buyiong fdull self driving without any meaningful features, so quite a few didn't. You should be able to pay for it to be activated

Some have AP1 and active
- As above but it was paid to be activated

Some have NA HW2....which I assume is AP2 with hardware 2.0 only
- Yes, I think, its only in the last year did cars come with a minimal AP turned on.

Then there are HW2.5, HW3, FSD.....but all 3 are only for the newer cars 2018+?
- correct - the different versions and what ypu get plus a little history can be found here
Tesla Info: Differences between hardware versions

Maybe someone can share some light on this......Autopilot and hardware again...
Looking at 2 CPO cars but a little confused with the info available on EV-CPO

vin#5YJSB7E23GF170340
2nd car is similar, just dual motor and different colour...

For example the above car has the 8 yrs warranty expiring in Jan 2025....I assume it was produced around Nov/Dec 2016, registered Jan 2017 thus expire Jan 2025.

Anyway, the AP HW listed in EV-CPO is "dash" 3.0 (~3.0) but the AP Software is NO AP.

Firstly, how can that be?
I thought cars produced in late 2016 all had HW2.0 and 3.0 only came out in mid 2019.

1) is it possible for end of 2016 MS to upgrade from HW2.0 to 3.0?
2) Did the original owner buy the car with HW2.0 and active AP, then upgraded to 2.5 (introduced in 2018) then upgraded to 3.0 FSD (last year mid 2019), when he/she sold it to Tesla HK, the Service centre disabled Autopilot?
3) I assume the original owner paid to have AP active otherwise why would he upgrade to 3.0 right?

SO for the moment, if I purchase the car at listed price, I would only have speed cruise control....nothing else
If I want to utilise HW3 and AP, I would need to pay for the activation? around $7000usd??

The only AP option code assigned to this car is APH0. Which doesn't have a translation (yet). It most likely means no AP enabled.

There are no other AP codes associated with this car, and the only other place we've seen that is with "likely" AP3.0 cars. Every other code has a meaning:

APH4 =3.0
APH3 = 2.5
APH2 or APPA =2.0
DA02 or DA01 or TP02= AP1
DA00= No AP

Once a car is sold, even if upgraded, the option codes rarely change. So the upgrade hypothetical is unlikely.

The bottom line here is that the car could have AP1 hardware, AP2 hardware (more likely) and no AP activated. But from the option codes, there's really no way to tell. You'll need to contact Tesla and ask them directly what this car has in terms of hardware or enabled software. And get it in writing, if you do.

The only AP option code assigned to this car is APH0. Which doesn't have a translation (yet). It most likely means no AP enabled.

There are no other AP codes associated with this car, and the only other place we've seen that is with "likely" AP3.0 cars. Every other code has a meaning:

APH4 =3.0
APH3 = 2.5
APH2 or APPA =2.0
DA02 or DA01 or TP02= AP1
DA00= No AP

Once a car is sold, even if upgraded, the option codes rarely change. So the upgrade hypothetical is unlikely.

The bottom line here is that the car could have AP1 hardware, AP2 hardware (more likely) and no AP activated. But from the option codes, there's really no way to tell. You'll need to contact Tesla and ask them directly what this car has in terms of hardware or enabled software. And get it in writing, if you do.

thank you very much.

Looking at the car here (took some finding but I was curious) , it looks like one of the unicorns where the owner decided not to upgrade to EAP and had AP features delivered on HW2 - this happened mainly in countries where there was a long period between order and delivery and spec changes happened.. Your hunch on registration was also right, 12 Jan it seems

https://tesla-info.com/car/5fe8052703cf1d2d5617786b7301d703