Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another video on pedestrian avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS and Tam
It is a safety feature in some non-US cars that pops up the back side (next to the windshield) of the hood during a pedestrian accident to help reduce the injuries..
It uses sensors in the front bumper to detect a pedestrian impact, then activates hydraulics(?) to jack up the rear of the hood to form a metal cushion for the pedestrian. This reduces head injuries - i believe.
You can find more info here:
https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv21/09-0067.pdf

Reactions: Tam
Funny timing.

Today as I was coming home from work some pedestrian jay walked at a light that I was about to turn right on. I saw him right as he approached the cross walk thinking he was stopping, and then I looked at the cross walk sign (don't walk). Then I checked for traffic, and as I was about to turn right I noticed him walking without a care in the world right in front of my car. It's like he stopped just to make sure I saw him.

So I started wondering what would have happened had I not been extra careful because it's at an intersection where people routinely ignore the crosswalk sign.

Funny timing.

Today as I was coming home from work some pedestrian jay walked at a light that I was about to turn right on. I saw him right as he approached the cross walk thinking he was stopping, and then I looked at the cross walk sign (don't walk). Then I checked for traffic, and as I was about to turn right I noticed him walking without a care in the world right in front of my car. It's like he stopped just to make sure I saw him.

So I started wondering what would have happened had I not been extra careful because it's at an intersection where people routinely ignore the crosswalk sign.

I'll do some more tests shortly - Almost the exact same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, and the car didn't detect the pedestrian at all. It would be interesting to see if an AP2 car would detect the pedestrian in that situation.

I'll do some more tests shortly - Almost the exact same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, and the car didn't detect the pedestrian at all. It would be interesting to see if an AP2 car would detect the pedestrian in that situation.

In my case I wasn't moving so AP1 didn't indicate seeing anything, but I'm sure it would have had I tried to run the guy over.

I think AP2 would speed up to run the pedestrian down and then back up to make the pedestrian was hit before swerving down the road...

In my case I wasn't moving so AP1 didn't indicate seeing anything, but I'm sure it would have had I tried to run the guy over.

I just ran some more tests today, and no emergency features activated, the only thing that happened was the ultrasonic yellow proximity indicator illuminated from the pedestrians side of the car. I took a right-hand corner at both 20km and 30km and had the pedestrian cross halfway and just after the corner. The car didn't make any attempt to brake or warn the driver.

I did, however manage to let AEB bring the car to a halt because of a pedestrian - i guess i'll make a new thread on that, and include the video.

So far my AP2 don't seem to have that pedestrian feature, but at least it noticed these two cyclists and slowed down. Show them as a car though, but notice how the AP display puts the car (the cyclists) correct to the side of the road. Speed is in km/h.

bilde ap2 syklist.JPG

So far my AP2 don't seem to have that pedestrian feature, but at least it noticed these two cyclists and slowed down. Show them as a car though, but notice how the AP display puts the car (the cyclists) correct to the side of the road. Speed is in km/h.

View attachment 223966

That is awesome! I attempted the same thing a few days ago, and found that AP1 kind of notices bicycles - i had some really weird indications on the UI. I'll post the video on this forum today.

Glad to see AP2 has that capability!