Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another weird drivetrain noise and getting worse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I have another rear drivetrain noise and this is getting really bad. Made the earliest appointment for December 8th, but I really don’t this this is driveable and damaging the car at this point as it is getting louder. Should I just go to the dealer tomorrow and 8am and let them know this needs to be fixed and ask for a loaner? Attached is the video of the noise. It does is off and on but pretty much does it 80% of the time I drive and the knocking is getting louder. The noise is coming from the back center rear drivetrain right below the rear hatch section. Sorry had to save as a zip file as it won't let me upload a MOV extension.

Attachments

• IMG_8845.zip
    670.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Did you launch your car often before this? It could be a broken axle, aka half shaft. Do you have any errors or notifications?

tesla-model-y-rear-unit.jpg

Found a pic of the rear end. The half shaft is the shaft perpendicular to the brake disc/red brake caliper. The shaft connects the wheel to the motor. Sometimes the half shafts can break when under heavy launches, repeatedly. If it breaks it is covered under theh warranty so worries there.

Last edited:
No hard launches and it’s been making noise since I got the car in October. No error codes coming up. Just a lot of knocking. It just recently has gotten much worse. I plan on just straight to the dealer tomorrow am. This sounds like a safety issue. Don’t want to make it worse.

No hard launches and it’s been making noise since I got the car in October. No error codes coming up. Just a lot of knocking. It just recently has gotten much worse. I plan on just straight to the dealer tomorrow am. This sounds like a safety issue. Don’t want to make it worse.
Oh geeze since delivery? You should still have your sales advisor's phone number in your contact, so I'd call them up and get them to expedite the issue.