Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another wheel question! (Regarding second hand wheels)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys that are dropping 6figures on your 85s might laugh at me but I've bought brand new rims before for $3,000, $4,000++ bucks and I won't do it again. I've also bought second hand wheels in pristine condition and gotten killer deals.

Is there a car that shares the same exact specs as the Model S? So I know searching for used wheels if the ad says (for example) these came off my Lexus ls460, I know those wheels will bolt right up to the Model S?

I know the Model S uses the 5 X 120 bolt pattern which is awesome. I think that's the same as the 5 series, 7 series, G460, LS460, etc. so that should give me a ton of options in the sizes I'm looking for, but what about the other specs?

Thanks Gene, I'm gonna go browse Tire rack right now!

It's not necessarily that I want super cheap wheels. I actually want really nice, name brand wheels. The problem is, wheels depreciate worse than any other item I've ever bought and sold so I'd rather buy really nice, expensive wheels at a deep discount because they are used, than buy nice wheels (or even cheap wheels for that matter) and take a huge depreciation hit when I sell.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an example. I just spent 3 minutes on Craigslist and found these immediately! 5x120. 22"x 10. That's probably my ideal size if they will bolt up. I don't mind a little rubbing. $1,400 bucks for lowenharts! These 4 wheels with tires is cheaper than what 1 of these brand new cost without a tire! crazy!! http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3782280790.html

You ask me about wheel offset (I don't have the answer since it was custom made by Forgestar). But I want to tell you all wheels are not made equal. You can get a set of wheel for 200.00 to 15,000.00. It all depend on the size and construction.

Cast - Flow formed/Rotary forged - forged - carbon. (weakest to strongest also heaviest to lighted) and they are priced accordingly. A very expensive wheel will depreciate faster just like an expensive car tend to depreciate faster.

Off-the-shelf and custom (A custom wheel will look correct on your car since it will have the correct offset) and will have the color you want.

BTW, 1400.00 for a set of forged lowenharts is a good deal but if they are cast you maybe over paying; even for 22". Make sure you weigh the wheel. A set of heavy wheel will greatly impact on the car performance.