Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ANPR at SuC sites - Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
After reading many complaints about these ANPR sites where SuCs are sited and people getting tickets, an idea popped into my head.

It would seem that the Hotels/ANPR companies dont give a hoot, Tesla "might" be able to implement a pop up message on the screen if you plug in that SuC (long shot if that ever happened). And the fustration of old & new Tesla drivers that would get caught out if they were new to that SuC site and didnt realise (lack of signage etc).

Soo..

Might be a long shot and stupid one at that, but thought i would share it.

Also, feel free to use this "idea" below if you like it and can make it work! - some clever people on here, me not being one of them)

"Auto" email to APNR/hotel reception if car is in geofenced SuC area for time duration (Note about emails at the end)

First the Idea
  1. Create a website/App (Simple is all that is needed) that allows the user to enters and stores their Licence plate, Model of Tesla, Colour, Person Forename and Surname (Possibly address?) and email. *Not sure what the minimal amount of info that would be excepted?
  2. Website/App (similar in the way data is collected by Teslafi/Teslamate about the car) monitors cars position OR uses the data from Teslafi/Teslamate or similar (Phone GPS position could also do this).
  3. If Car is in the Geofenced location of a certain SuC (Database of these locations needed) that has ANPR for more than approx 2mins it "Auto" sends an email to the ANPR company and Hotel Reception at that Geofenced location/site with a generic email using details stated in Nr 1 above. Such as that you are a visiting guest and are only here to use the SuC for a charge including a time stamp in the email of when you arrived (stating that this time is approx). Also state that your car/Tesla is recording the charge session so that you have evidence if you need to prove that you were.
  4. When you finish. The web/app then emails (again after leaving geo area approx 2mins later) that you have finished and have left the facility with a summary of arrival and departer time (again stating these are approx).
Backup would be that a phone app would also ping/display a message on the screen to say if it has been successful or not, on your arrival - just in case you need to register at reception!.

Questions to the audience:

So would it work?
Would the ANPR company/ Hotel accept these emails as a form of registration?
Legally standing, if you were to get a ticket, and the above idea happened with the email evidence and charge evidence. Would you be liable or not?

Also wonder if Teslafi or Teslamate could/would implement something like this into their system?

Ps - i know some people dont like to have too much personal info online and in apps - so no need to comment below about this.

Pps. my other idea was a last resort, give stickers to Tesla drivers and a long stick so you can reach and put one over the APNR camera! (NO! DON'T DO THAT!)

There is potential here but I doubt you'ld find ANPR co's or even most hotels interested in integerating their systems to do this plus you are adding another layer of polling to the car that migt prevent sleep and use power.
I'm out fo touch with programming these days but taking your diea it might be possible to create a phone ap that first recognises whether your car is actively linked to phone and if so and you enter one of the zones you describe it sends an email of car reg to the hotel. I.e the same idea but keeping it simple?

Better one of your ideas is to shoot at the ANPR camera while out of number recognition range with a dollop of 'custard pie' foam that blinds it, cleans the lens and evaporates - a public service???

Reactions: davidmc
I think probably over engineered?
If there was a will, it would already be done. e.g grace period, car Model filter. They’re just unscrupulously preying on people who can’t be bothered with the hassle and pay anyway.

Can’t imagine the parking companies or hotels accepting the emails for long without just changing their email address.

The premise of the signs is that you’re agreeing to the terms. If that says you agree to get a permit then you have to get a permit.

Solution? Lobby Tesla to: 1) add a warning on screen; 2) add in better clauses and re-negotiate the agreement because it’s damaging their brand.

After reading many complaints about these ANPR sites where SuCs are sited and people getting tickets, an idea popped into my head.

It would seem that the Hotels/ANPR companies dont give a hoot, Tesla "might" be able to implement a pop up message on the screen if you plug in that SuC (long shot if that ever happened). And the fustration of old & new Tesla drivers that would get caught out if they were new to that SuC site and didnt realise (lack of signage etc).

Soo..

Might be a long shot and stupid one at that, but thought i would share it.

Also, feel free to use this "idea" below if you like it and can make it work! - some clever people on here, me not being one of them)

"Auto" email to APNR/hotel reception if car is in geofenced SuC area for time duration (Note about emails at the end)

First the Idea
  1. Create a website/App (Simple is all that is needed) that allows the user to enters and stores their Licence plate, Model of Tesla, Colour, Person Forename and Surname (Possibly address?) and email. *Not sure what the minimal amount of info that would be excepted?
  2. Website/App (similar in the way data is collected by Teslafi/Teslamate about the car) monitors cars position OR uses the data from Teslafi/Teslamate or similar (Phone GPS position could also do this).
  3. If Car is in the Geofenced location of a certain SuC (Database of these locations needed) that has ANPR for more than approx 2mins it "Auto" sends an email to the ANPR company and Hotel Reception at that Geofenced location/site with a generic email using details stated in Nr 1 above. Such as that you are a visiting guest and are only here to use the SuC for a charge including a time stamp in the email of when you arrived (stating that this time is approx). Also state that your car/Tesla is recording the charge session so that you have evidence if you need to prove that you were.
  4. When you finish. The web/app then emails (again after leaving geo area approx 2mins later) that you have finished and have left the facility with a summary of arrival and departer time (again stating these are approx).
Backup would be that a phone app would also ping/display a message on the screen to say if it has been successful or not, on your arrival - just in case you need to register at reception!.

Questions to the audience:

So would it work?
Would the ANPR company/ Hotel accept these emails as a form of registration?
Legally standing, if you were to get a ticket, and the above idea happened with the email evidence and charge evidence. Would you be liable or not?

Also wonder if Teslafi or Teslamate could/would implement something like this into their system?

Ps - i know some people dont like to have too much personal info online and in apps - so no need to comment below about this.

Pps. my other idea was a last resort, give stickers to Tesla drivers and a long stick so you can reach and put one over the APNR camera! (NO! DON'T DO THAT!)

Simple analog solution. Roll of low tack tape across number plate once off public road. No offence created. Remove tape once again on public road. My roll of 50mm wide blue tape now lives in my glovebox. Cheap. Effective.

Current system is near perfect.....from the point of view of the hotels/parking companies so why change it. At present you either jump through their deliberately obtuse hoops or you get a fine. So what's in it for the hotel / Parking company to change that? Sounds like a cost / effort for them which ultimately results in them making less money.

Simple analog solution. Roll of low tack tape across number plate once off public road. No offence created. Remove tape once again on public road. My roll of 50mm wide blue tape now lives in my glovebox. Cheap. Effective.
Really like this idea, or a sticky plate that goes over number plate .

Or some show plates that say TESLA. If I get stopped, I'm just an enthusiastic youtuber making car videos, after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3noob
Here's a better idea... How about Tesla installs superchargers at sites without ANPR vultures in the first place. I know that's a crazy thought but you know perhaps they could try. IMO they shouldn't install them on any sites that have any barriers, physical or ANPR/signs. They just installed them where I live recently in an awful multistory car park with barriers, it's not the end of the world but the location also isn't great. Makes you wonder how they even pick the locations.

Here's a better idea... How about Tesla installs superchargers at sites without ANPR vultures in the first place. I know that's a crazy thought but you know perhaps they could try. IMO they shouldn't install them on any sites that have any barriers, physical or ANPR/signs. They just installed them where I live recently in an awful multistory car park with barriers, it's not the end of the world but the location also isn't great. Makes you wonder how they even pick the locations.
From a business point of view, I'm assuming they would first look at locations with the electrical infrastructure - i.e nearby substations with capacity.

Then, they would want to site them at low cost. Buying your own land or leasing it, providing access, is all expensive and would be reflected in the p/kwh cost.

So I get it why they strike local agreements and use third party locations.

I'd be more than happy to sneak around the hassle of it and just stick a show plate on!

From a business point of view, I'm assuming they would first look at locations with the electrical infrastructure - i.e nearby substations with capacity.

Then, they would want to site them at low cost. Buying your own land or leasing it, providing access, is all expensive and would be reflected in the p/kwh cost.

I'd be more than happy to sneak around the hassle of it and just stick a show plate on!
Clone Grant Shapps plate. Pix of his M3 around here somewhere. Instant action 🤣

I get the impression that sites request a Tesla charger rather than the other way around. This is on the supercharger page:

So win-win for the hotel if you're getting £100 every time someone charges :)

Probably an ever decreasing list. You can't rock up even at a services without the ANPR clock starting. So many car parks, services and petrol stations et al are policed by ANPR and all have different rules and time limits. The one I hate most is the 'no return within' limit. Doesn't help that staff at these sites are often invisible or clueless so the only thing to go on is sometimes confusing signage.