Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Answer phone or close roof.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when the weather is nice here in AZ, I have my right side wheel set to do the sunroof. When I want it closed, I push the wheel and no matter what point it is open to, it closes fully. I like that feature.
When it is open, and my phone rings, I panic. I can't push the wheel to close the roof cause it answers the phone and they can't hear me with the roof open. I can't toggle the wheel to close it that way cause it switches through the options for the phone, answer, end call stuff like that. So I end up trying to fumble through the controls to get to the sunroof controls and by the time it closes, I have missed the call. Is there a way around this? I would like the phone to either pop up on the other side ant be controlled by the left dials or not be controlled by the dials at all or something like that so i can close the roof and answer the phone. Any advice? It's only nice enough to use the roof for a couple months a year here so I wasn't too use it as much as I can. Thanks

Answer phone, tell them to hold on a second. Tap the bottom left corner of the main screen to pull up controls, tap sunroof, tap close.
If the sunroof is the last section you used, you can skip that tap and just the bottom left corner for controls, then hit close.

Answer phone, tell them to hold on a second. Tap the bottom left corner of the main screen to pull up controls, tap sunroof, tap close.
If the sunroof is the last section you used, you can skip that tap and just the bottom left corner for controls, then hit close.

I believe there was a very short lived software release that did both with a single push. Yet another thing they took away from us

Are you able to answer the phone using the center screen? Agree that you have to take your hands off the wheel, but that would still be a quicker and (therefore) safer alternative.
You only have to take one hand off the wheel and glance at the center display for a fraction of a second to answer the phone with a single tap. Seems like a reasonable solution.

Are you able to answer the phone using the center screen? Agree that you have to take your hands off the wheel, but that would still be a quicker and (therefore) safer alternative.

You only have to take one hand off the wheel and glance at the center display for a fraction of a second to answer the phone with a single tap. Seems like a reasonable solution.
I think you guys are missing his point... He would like to close the sunroof first. When a call comes in (assuming you have your phone Bluetooth linked to your car) it takes over the right scroll wheel and right side of the instrument cluster. He now has no quick way to close the sunroof first (by simply pressing the right scroll wheel). You can't move the sunroof controls to the left side, nor can you move the phone controls to the left side, so when a call comes in, it trumps your sunroof controls with the phone controls. You now have to go through the control settings menu to get to the sunroof settings and close it first. Then you can answer the call.

All that said, this particular complexity, along with others that I read, have no clear way to answer everyone's needs. Add a function that automatically closes all the windows when you answer a call, and there will be others which would not like that. I think the clear solution is for us to have a macro page, and allow us to create our own one-click macros. You can create as many buttons as you want that each performs a set of commands. That's how you automate and still make it so that everyone is thrilled with it.

Since 2012 I've been requesting a software feature wherein when you receive a call, you can press a single button on the touchscreen that closes the roof and answers the phone simultaneously. (Or delays answering just a few seconds after starting to close the roof). Could also have another button to answer and leave roof open--or perhaps even decide based on vehicle speed.

Either way, lots of untapped software opportunities that Tesla should be taking advantage of, but aren't.

Reactions: JPUConn
I hear you, I have a lot of customers calling but most of the time I don't pick up because the sunroof is either open and even then when it is closed the wind noise is just too loud. For important calls I simply call back once I reach my destination. Now regarding friends / family then yes it would be nice to have some kind of option to easily close the sunroof before answering the call.

P.S. Also be careful when taking private calls, the cars really aren't that well isolated and you can easily hear someone's conversation even when his windows and sunroof are closed.

Sounds like a use-case that Tesla did not completely think through. Their preference to do everything through nested touch screen menus is at least annoying, at most dangerous, especially that the screen can be rather slow in responding, so takes a few seconds to navigate to where you want to go, while your attention is not 100% on the road, and hands not on the wheel (so I guess you're not supposed to do any touch screen actions while on auto-pilot, at least according to Tesla's explicit instructions to keep hands on the wheel at all times while auto-steer is engaged). I wish they'd add a few configurable physical buttons on the dash which could be defined as "turn headlights on/off" or "close sunroof" or "turn off all heated seats" or "set suspension to some level" , etc.