Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Answering text messages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not driven my car a lot in the last year. I probably have not got a text message in 6 months or so. I got one the other day and now I see some graphic in the card area that have no idea what it is depicting. I used to press the right scroll wheel, but it seems now that there is some other way to either see or respond? It doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to find the puzzle picture in my car. Is it the scroll wheel, the door handle or just the touch screen?
I don't know which update it came with because like I said, I have not driven much and got text messages even less.

One press on the right scroll wheel to respond, two to dismiss. You can also use the touchscreen(presumably the same number of presses)

Thanks. Just like the way it used to be. The diagram that pops up is just plain confusing and it doesn't stay on long enough to decipher it. I should probably check the manual on the screen. Maybe Telsa updated the user manual?

Reactions: Transformer
I like the improvements. It now appears much more like a text conversation that you'd see on your phone. I'd really like to see them expand on that- when you receive a text from someone, it displays the last 5-10 texts from them so you have some context. Doesn't always seem to work that way.

One press on the right scroll wheel to respond, two to dismiss. You can also use the touchscreen(presumably the same number of presses)

Q. I tried this but no luck. Does it time out while I'm alternately trying to decipher the UI graphics and watch the road?

Q. How to get it to read the text message aloud?

Q. If you press the right scroll wheel to start a voice command, then your spouse starts talking, can you cancel the voice input by pressing the right scroll wheel again or something?

Reactions: garth_angst
Q. How to get it to read the text message aloud?
When you get the audible tone that you have a message, you give a single press of the right wheel to have the car read the message (assuming you have that enabled). THEN you can can single press again to reply.

If this isn't working, I would first check to make sure reading texts is enabled - it is not on by default.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer