Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antelope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came home from a 8,500 mile coast-to-coast and back odyssey. I tried to avoid interstates as much as possible, but the surperchargers are where they are. A couple of observations:
- Antelope/deer are an issue:
- I wish, on the nav screen, the "estimated charge at destination" was more prominently displayed. Adjusting driving habits based on this number, and how this number changes during the segment, is paramount.
- autopilot and cruise control are mostly unusable because of phantom braking. (how do we report this to NTSB?)
- visibility in heavy rain with this car is worse than expected.
- hill climbing in snow is fantastic, but going down hill with one pedal driving is frightening.
- sleeping in the back of the MY is not too bad, thought removing head rests to fold down the seats is a pain, and the seats dont quite fold flat.
- using a 14-50 plug at an RV campground during the day is a great way to cross a gap where there are too few chargers.
- in some parts of the country, Tesla's still attract attention. I had a LEO pull me out of a group of cars traveling the same speed, and he mostly seemed interested in asking me questions, but still gave me a (reduced to minimum) ticket.
- with a little bit of thought an planning, long distance EV travel is pleasant.
I think this is a great car, (hidden behind bad software), I cant wait to sell it once any EV van becomes available.

Its hard to tell in the video......did the tesla slow down for the antelope at all or not?

I'm sorry to hear about your phantom breaking....I think its rather hit and miss with everyone, and what software version you are using. I'm on FSD beta, and I don't find phantom breaking an issue, though others do. It might also be with how each person tolerates the breaking or not. Like, if the tesla slows down a bit when it shouldn't, maybe one person calls that a phantom break issue and another doesn't. Like, unless its something jarring with breaking, I personally don't care.

You shouldn't need to remove headrests when folding down the back seats, unless I'm misunderstanding you. From my normal driving position, I have a hold hand width between the headrest and back of the seat ->

20220613_122654.jpg

Even if you didn't have enough room (if you have long legs or something), why not just move the seat forward instead of removing the headrests? You would only need to do this once a night (to setup sleeping in the back of the car), and then in the morning, just click "restore" to move the seat back to your normal positioning...

As for a Van....besides the vaporware canoo, you are only looking at the VW buzz van, which will have less range than the model y, but the extra space and passenger capacity would certainly be great!

Its hard to tell in the video......did the tesla slow down for the antelope at all or not?

I'm sorry to hear about your phantom breaking....I think its rather hit and miss with everyone, and what software version you are using. I'm on FSD beta, and I don't find phantom breaking an issue, though others do. It might also be with how each person tolerates the breaking or not. Like, if the tesla slows down a bit when it shouldn't, maybe one person calls that a phantom break issue and another doesn't. Like, unless its something jarring with breaking, I personally don't care.

You shouldn't need to remove headrests when folding down the back seats, unless I'm misunderstanding you. From my normal driving position, I have a hold hand width between the headrest and back of the seat ->

View attachment 816168

Even if you didn't have enough room (if you have long legs or something), why not just move the seat forward instead of removing the headrests? You would only need to do this once a night (to setup sleeping in the back of the car), and then in the morning, just click "restore" to move the seat back to your normal positioning...

As for a Van....besides the vaporware canoo, you are only looking at the VW buzz van, which will have less range than the model y, but the extra space and passenger capacity would certainly be great!
Re: braking. I am on the latest non FSD non beta release. Braking is sudden and hard enough that I fear being rear-ended by any traffic behind me. Or at least inducing road rage in people behind me, thinking I am brake-checking them. Once the braking starts, it continues until autopilot is disengaged. You can accelerate out of it, but if you back off the accelerator it continues braking. I have had incidents occur on plain clean asphalt in the middle of nowhere Wyoming with no nearby traffic, however sometimes when reviewing the recorded video there is significant sunglare in some of the cameras.
I removed the headrests at the beginning of the trip and just left the back seats down. For one portion of the trip I offloaded my stuff and put the seats up to carry some passengers, so re-installed the headrests. My legs must be longer, or I had the seat too far back in "Easy Access" mode.
Yes, hoping for the vaporware Canoo, or maybe a CT, although that is less attractive now that they got rid of the front bench seat. Also hoping Brightdrop would sell to individuals. Or Arrival, but also vaporware. So much hoping.

You were lucky. A deer can do a lot of damage, and with their long legs they can come right through the windshield. But that's nothing compared to elk. I've seen a dump truck pretty much demolished after hitting an elk at highway speeds. And elk tend to travel in herds, so if you ever see elk on both sides of the road SLOW DOWN. If they spook they will all follow the leader and since the leader can only be on one side of the road at a time, the ones on the other side will cross over. I've seen elk actually jump over a car which was stopped to avoid hitting them. City people tend not to get it: they don't obey the same rules that we do and they can kill you, so be careful.

I've seen a Buck stand in the middle of the road. The Does crossed the road then the Buck continued on it's journey. What I hate is when people get out of their cars and harass the wildlife These people who get out of their vehicles and chase the Bison or get so close to the animal it feels threatened and chases them and they get injured deserve what they get.

Just came home from a 8,500 mile coast-to-coast and back odyssey. I tried to avoid interstates as much as possible, but the surperchargers are where they are. A couple of observations:
- Antelope/deer are an issue:
- I wish, on the nav screen, the "estimated charge at destination" was more prominently displayed. Adjusting driving habits based on this number, and how this number changes during the segment, is paramount.
- autopilot and cruise control are mostly unusable because of phantom braking. (how do we report this to NTSB?)
- visibility in heavy rain with this car is worse than expected.
- hill climbing in snow is fantastic, but going down hill with one pedal driving is frightening.
- sleeping in the back of the MY is not too bad, thought removing head rests to fold down the seats is a pain, and the seats dont quite fold flat.
- using a 14-50 plug at an RV campground during the day is a great way to cross a gap where there are too few chargers.
- in some parts of the country, Tesla's still attract attention. I had a LEO pull me out of a group of cars traveling the same speed, and he mostly seemed interested in asking me questions, but still gave me a (reduced to minimum) ticket.
- with a little bit of thought an planning, long distance EV travel is pleasant.
I think this is a great car, (hidden behind bad software), I cant wait to sell it once any EV van becomes available.
Glad you avoided colliding with antelope. I just drove 700 miles mostly using autopilot & autosteer. No phantom braking. 🤷‍♂️Route was Los Angeles, San Rafael (California), fair oaks (California) and back the same route.
2022 model y performance, no fsd, firmware 2022.20.8, no front radar.