Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-rust treatment.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Model 3 owners in Ontario or Quebec treat their cars with anti-rust? Been reading some rust issues popping up on some 3's and would like to prevent it as much as possible. I've only heard of Bolduc Anti-rust out near Quebec City but seems like they're booked solid. Would love to hear if you guys think it's necessary and suggestions for places to get it done.

Bolduc is not drilling. However, they are booked solid, i bought the car in dec 18, i have an appointment in november !
I think it is important to do that in area like Quebec. Some parts of the cars are in aluminium, true, but one of the most exposed part, the rockers are in steel...
You can use a magnet to identified the non aluminum parts, there is quite a few.

According to the warranty any rust-proofing or undercoating voids your rust warranty - first bullet:

upload_2019-9-25_20-52-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-25_20-52-55.png
    upload_2019-9-25_20-52-55.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus
According to the warranty any rust-proofing or undercoating voids your rust warranty - first bullet:

View attachment 459011
I read that, however what is the Tesla rust warranty going to cover ? It is not going to cover the rust coming on your rockers in a few years. It will just cover something unusual. So if you want to keep the car more than a few years, i would rust proof it. Of course i won't put any hole in it and i would choose a good shop.

Reactions: Pescakl1
I have just gone to Eric Bolduc place to rust proof my Model 3: He is knowledgeable to say the least (being doing that for 20 years). No drilling, he is removing all the panels, a 4 hours job: showed me Tesla forgot to put one part on my car... nicely done Tesla :confused:

After less than an year (got it October 30th last year), it already showed some rust (one of the worst one said Eric).
He took some pictures to show me and explained some conception defects that will bring problems in the future if you do not do some preventive maintenance... like rust proofing.

As for the warranty, Tesla, like any other manufacturers, will find any excuse not to honor it. I just took a picture yesterday of a car with big signs written on it saying VW will not honor rust warranty on his car (it is on my phone, will upload later).

Do what you want, but me, I want to keep my car for 10-15 years, so I do all the preventive maintenance I can to make it go that far.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
That's the exact first hand experience I'm looking for. I'm planning to keep this car long term and I know how bad winters get up here with the salt and abrasives they cover our roads with. Looks like I'll have to book an appointment at Bolduc for next year then. How much does it cost to do and does it need to be retouched every year?

That's the exact first hand experience I'm looking for. I'm planning to keep this car long term and I know how bad winters get up here with the salt and abrasives they cover our roads with. Looks like I'll have to book an appointment at Bolduc for next year then. How much does it cost to do and does it need to be retouched every year?
If i may suggest, you may want to suscribe to AVEQ. It is a 50$ yearly fee, and they have a list of shops where you can have a 10% discount. Bolduc is not in, but you have one close to Montréal, there is also Protex if you need ppf.

I am in Ottawa, regularly go North (Quebec Laurentians) and have my Model 3 since June 2018. Now at 45,000 km.

I too was very concerned about rust proofing - as I wish to keep/amortize my Model 3 over 15-20 years. But when I got my car , Tesla was completely mute about rust proofing warranty.

As I happened to know a Krown dealer I truly trusted, I took the calculated risk of having my Model 3 rust proofed. The job was done by Krown on Catherine Street (Ottawa), make sure to speak to Tyler, the manager. He did my previous car (a 2005 I bought new) for the last 10 years. Krown works. Yes, he did holes and you can thank me for being a guinea pig, as I was the very first Model 3 he drilled and rustproofed. He did many since then as I shared my successful experience with his services on this forum about a year ago. I can say he certainly knows now how to drill a Model 3. He also takes care of removing the lower panels to clear all the winter grime stacking up there.

The benefits of drilling holes is to facilitate future rust-proofing application, something you may want to consider if you want to keep your car a long long time like me.

To complement the rust proofing treatment, I also installed Bolduc`s North Edition mud guards to protect the underside from recurrent sand blasting occurring on our highways in the winter.

I also installed a small PPF piece in front of the rear wheel well, as I discovered that this area was still prone to getting hit by projected dust despite my large mud guards.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
I have an 08 BMW wagon, when I bought it 4 yrs ago there was rust on the inside of the hatch at the top, could not see it from the outside. Some kind of defect.

BMW replaced it under warranty. Was over $4000. They would not have if it was rustproofed.

I won’t get into a debate here, but I work in dealerships all the time as a subcontractor and when there is a defect they do plenty of rust repair under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: martind3