Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla/EV road rage experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a couple recently which, on review of the dash cam footage, were unjustified (I was obeying the law)
I can only think the other driver was pissed off by the car’s acceleration or that it was a Tesla/EV.

Some people are just jerks on the road no matter what kind of vehicle you are driving.

When I bought my first EV (Nissan Leaf) I noticed a significant amount more rage. People would whip around me giving me the finger and I was in the right lane lol. I came from an FJ Cruiser. I imagine it's because I was driving to preserve my battery. Mind you I wasn't hypermiling but definitely more conservative.

A couple of months in now and I haven't noticed any a-hole rage around me, and I'm pretty observant while on the roads. I've seen plenty of people slow down or speed up to me to take a better look, though. I would think they'd be flipping me off or scowling if that was because they wanted to rage at me, but they usually just have a look of curiousness instead.

Maybe once a month I have someone in a muscle car rocket off the line next to me when the light turns green.
It'd be a lot more fun (for one of us) if such drivers would get my attention first, since we're apparently supposed to be having a race.
As it is, their ego is left mistakenly intact, and a bunch of gasoline and rubber gets wasted by them without a race even occurring.

A couple of months in now and I haven't noticed any a-hole rage around me, and I'm pretty observant while on the roads. I've seen plenty of people slow down or speed up to me to take a better look, though. I would think they'd be flipping me off or scowling if that was because they wanted to rage at me, but they usually just have a look of curiousness instead.
Yeah I still get drivers, particularly at night, lingering off my wing taking a good look at the center screen.

Sorry. That was me.

So when I click on your user name to see a location, because I feel that could be a factor in this discussion and see "from your Mum"........

I just have to conclude you are the problem, now I don't know if it is your perceptions or you attitude on road causing reactions but when so few of the rest of us are anything similar...........

Remove the BeV itself factor and there are several significant differences between "us" and "them". We can leave a light a lot faster (and I normally do) because we do not (1) have to have our foot on the brake - we can hover over the accelerator, (2) we do not have to wait for the torque demand request to open a butterfly so as to allow more air through the pump (or for the ECU to change inlet valve opening to achieve the same goal). We also tend to want to recover kinetic energy to the battery versus loosing it to heat through the brakes. Those differences can cause tension. In addition, there are some BeV owners that drive slower to increase efficiency.

All the above differences can cause others to become annoyed even if we do not intend the annoyance.

Sadly, yes. I have had one pick-up truck F250) and one Mustang pull alongside me stare me down in a somewhat annoyed / angry manner and then zoom off. They must think my M3P is slow because I just merrily rolled along and didn’t engage...

I have owned my car for just over a month now. Those two incidents aside, far more people seem genuinely interested in the car either when parked or driving by me on the road...

I don't get anything I would call "road rage". But probably because Tesla's have performance right up there with the fastest of them all, car enthusiasts who have built their car or truck with performance parts to gain performance have a heightened sense of what a Tesla is, how fast they can accelerate and that many of them are faster than their cherished baby they have put their heart and soul (and a lot of their paycheck/inheritance, etc. into). About the only way they know how to respond is grab neutral and rev the engine to near redline briefly. Since they have performance cams/exhaust this is pretty obvious, even if I have the stereo on pretty loud. They can see you coming from the front in time to do this even if you're both going around 35 mph. They also do it if they pass you in a lane on your left. I've seen it about a dozen times in the previous 9 months I've been driving Tesla's. They obviously feel threatened and it's the only way they know to respond.

I liken it to a peacock's mating ritual, a show of potency that is the natural response to competition. If only they knew how silly it makes them appear. Actually, I suspect most of them do know how silly it makes them look, they just can't control themselves.:rolleyes:

Interesting thread. I've had an EV in Atlanta for 4 years, the Model 3 for just about a year and have never seen EV induced road rage, actually just the opposite, a lot of thumbs up.

Are you sure you may not be something to help induce it or just trying to assign standard rage to an EV?

Same here, I'm in Florida and have never had anybody get angry that I'm driving an electric car.

I can't think of any anti-Tesla road rage experiences in the last two years. I did have a guy in a pickup swerve at me as he passed. I think it was only because I was teaching my daughter how to drive and she was driving too slow.

Ummm....how is what you just described Not road rage? That is the text book definition of road rage. As to what they were enraged about, we can only speculate.

I don't get anything I would call "road rage". But probably because Tesla's have performance right up there with the fastest of them all, car enthusiasts who have built their car or truck with performance parts to gain performance have a heightened sense of what a Tesla is, how fast they can accelerate and that many of them are faster than their cherished baby they have put their heart and soul (and a lot of their paycheck/inheritance, etc. into). About the only way they know how to respond is grab neutral and rev the engine to near redline briefly. Since they have performance cams/exhaust this is pretty obvious, even if I have the stereo on pretty loud. They can see you coming from the front in time to do this even if you're both going around 35 mph. They also do it if they pass you in a lane on your left. I've seen it about a dozen times in the previous 9 months I've been driving Tesla's. They obviously feel threatened and it's the only way they know to respond.

I liken it to a peacock's mating ritual, a show of potency that is the natural response to competition. If only they knew how silly it makes them appear. Actually, I suspect most of them do know how silly it makes them look, they just can't control themselves.:rolleyes:
I wish I had those situations. I can't get anybody to race me off the line. Only once, when an M5 decided to have a go. I demolished him but slowed at 60 or so as we were on a surface street. He get zooming past me probably hitting over 100mph in a 50mph zone just to show me :eek: