TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by bonnie, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Designtime

Designtime Member

We see a version of this in many product fans. Go to any tech blog and look at how many people actively try to dissuade people from buying products from Microsoft, or Apple, or Google. Often it is clear that they have little information about the product they are denigrating. It is an interesting phenomenon

2. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

I stopped using Microsoft in 1991 because I got tired of two restore-from-tape per week. I switched to Unix. I've felt no need to go back.

3. strider

strider Active Member

I think it's just fear of the new - car buffs know a lot about how ICEs work and can easily talk about the tradeoffs between bore and stroke and how that affects the power delivery, etc. They are ignorant about electric motors and how different types of motors work best in different applications, battery chemistries, etc. They are scared of having to learn something new and having all their hard-won knowledge become worthless. It's kind of how I feel about IPv6 ;)

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Just as I saw in the advent of digital photography and cinematography.

5. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Audi reliability is, indeed, really bad. My family's driven several, and although they drive nice, we've had to replace the brake calipers (!!!) in most of them, among other expensive repairs. Two of them had electronics which go crazy in the fog. Et cetera.

6. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I agree people fear the unknown. I'm as guily as anyone else. I can tell you that I had slammed apple products for years due to security issues, but I got an iPhone recently and it made my droid and blackberry look like garbage.

In terms of EVs, that was dead wrong what the Coda salesman said. I can't blame him/her for trying to get a sale, but going negative against other manufacturers is wrong. That turned me off from Coda

7. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

That gave me a GOOD chuckle, strider ... ipv6.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#28 brianman, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
    Let's assume for a moment it's not a concept car, it has been through EPA testing, it gets 50+ mpg, and it has Jetson technology compacting the gasoline so that it holds 100 gallons in a traditional sized tank.

It's still not infinite range.

The last bastion of a losing position is deception.

21 year grudge. Ouch. Some of our forum members are younger than that...

[Sequential posts merged by moderator to minimize the number of off-topic postings - Doug_G]

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd have already booted this whole page over to Off Topic if I could figure out a title for the thread. :biggrin:

Back on topic, please. Thanks!

10. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

I think we need a 'Random, Wherever the Conversation Takes You' thread. :)

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

I thought that was what this thread was for. I like it! Just re-title it: "Audi E-tron and Random Conversations"

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

#32 VolkerP, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    Back to the article. It holds 95% Audi marketing information. On Tesla's side, only negative information gets mentioned. Anyone reading this can make up his mind on his/her own if he is reading a balanced article or not, regardless of the items compared. No need to contribute good facts for Tesla/bad facts for Audi here to make it "a fair comparison" since it never was meant to be one.

Edit: I read it once more and a "would you join a visitor survey" popped up. Great! I provided some feedback.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just rename it to Off-Topic and make it sticky. Do that in every forum and you don't have to moderate that thread. :)

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm about to move all of you to a thread, "Random Conversations About Threads About Random Conversations".

15. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

It's a sign that things are currently relaxing regarding Tesla now that we are getting close to production and it looks like it will happen. Maybe even evchels will stop calling Elon a "showman" without as much "substance". (Source on request.)

16. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Congrats to all who responded on the autospies site to that article. Reading it and the comments right now I conclude that it is clearly a press release being messily re-published by an unsophisticated user, and that only a small minority agree with it's opinion, that small minority revert very quickly to name calling and swearing while the majority in support of the Model S substantiate their comments with facts. I wonder if Audi didn't "encourage" him to write this.

This is how these kinds of articles should be handled. Well done to all concerned.

17. mkertzman

mkertzman 2 Roadsters, 3 Model S

Latest disinformation on Tesla

I'm still amazed at the disinformation that will be spread by short sellers and analysts with a negative opinion on a stock. Here's the latest on TSLA:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/tesla-model-s-may-not-outlive-hype-and-4-more-new-analyst-insights.html/?ref=YF

Exactly which Tesla "dealer" did he talk to? Tesla's warranty doesn't cover the natural degradation of the battery? Unlike, of course, all other auto manufacturers who cover the natural wear on items like tires?

Sigh..... I'm so excited about my test drive on Saturday!

Mitchell

18. Steph

Steph Member

Or Engines...

One thing that makes articles like this possible is unknowns. Unknowns are plentiful in Tesla's case. Skepticism is there, you can feel it.

Tesla will have answers to all unknowns tomorrow. They will become facts.

Then, we will discussing facts. This kind of articles will not be possible, the author would be discredited right away.

Tomorrow is that day.

19. Iamthecaliflower

Why is there so much nonsense surfacing now? Even amidst all the upgrades and positive reviews so much misinformation being spread. Who is paying these idiots to spread lies or just plain bad information? Tesla's New Model S Faces Competition: Video - Bloomberg

It's as if the stock won't budge until they have demonstrated earnings. Good news seems to be meaningless. What gives?

20. Iamthecaliflower