Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another uneducated hype. Tesla owners come from a very diverse background, financial and otherwise. As for $7,500 + other state incentives, most of the so called "Rich" won't even qualify for these incentives. WSJ opinions without facts are just that, hyped assertions.
This onslaught of negative media reminds me of Dustin Hoffman movie "Hero"

Another uneducated hype. Tesla owners come from a very diverse background, financial and otherwise. As for $7,500 + other state incentives, most of the so called "Rich" won't even qualify for these incentives. WSJ opinions without facts are just that, hyped assertions.
This onslaught of negative media reminds me of Dustin Hoffman movie "Hero"

I was unaware of a means test for the $7,500 tax rebate. I understood that everyone qualified. No?

I was unaware of a means test for the $7,500 tax rebate. I understood that everyone qualified. No?
everyone is qualified however in order to take advantage of the rebate you need to file an itemized return and many people don't have the level of income or enough deductions to file for the rebate. keep in mind there are other EVs that qualify for this rebate, not just high end teslas

The $7,500 is a tax credit (and not a deduction) and will reduce your federal tax liability by that amount. You don't have to itemize to get it as it's a below-the-line tax credit.

I just did my taxes and I'd be lying if I claimed that the $7,500 tax credit didn't help. As did the "instant" $2,500 rebate from Calif. soon after I got the car early last year.

It's only a matter of time though before this tax credit is done with once Tesla produces 200,000 vehicles; that day is not far away - probably 4 years from now after a few months of production of Model E. Tesla may have to re-price their offerings a bit at that time, probably at the expense of their profit margins, to offset the loss of the tax credit.

I'd think decreasing pack costs will make up for it, plus Tesla is not counting on the refund being in place for the Gen3. Also I think the refund starts to phase out at 200K vehicles, but does not go away immediately.

Correct, the tax credit is reduced by 50% for the next two quarters after the quarter in which the 200kth vehicle is delivered and reduced further by 75% for the next 2 quarters. The point still remains that Tesla is not counting on the $7,500 tax credit for most buyers of the Model E. An effect of the deceasing tax credit is going to be a rush of orders for the Model E once this is well understand by the public.
http://www.irs.gov/irb/2009-48_IRB/ar09.html

The $7,500 is a tax credit (and not a deduction) and will reduce your federal tax liability by that amount. You don't have to itemize to get it as it's a below-the-line tax credit.

I just did my taxes and I'd be lying if I claimed that the $7,500 tax credit didn't help. As did the "instant" $2,500 rebate from Calif. soon after I got the car early last year.

It's only a matter of time though before this tax credit is done with once Tesla produces 200,000 vehicles; that day is not far away - probably 4 years from now after a few months of production of Model E. Tesla may have to re-price their offerings a bit at that time, probably at the expense of their profit margins, to offset the loss of the tax credit.

Thanks for clarification, I stand corrected.

No question about that. It sure helped me too.

I didn't notice Toyota reducing the Prius' price once the credit was gone--and Prius owners are generally more cost conscience than Model S owners.

Tesla’s Model S can be located, unlocked, and burglarized with a simple hack

Here is a brief excerpt taken from ExtremeTech.com:

While Tesla’s Model S might bephysically the safest car on the road, once it’s parked up by the curb, it’s not very secure at all. That’s according to a security researcher, who says the Model S is very vulnerable to some rudimentary hacking techniques, allowing a would-be thief to remotely locate your car, unlock its doors, and then steal all your stuff. Fortunately, the researcher hasn’t yet found a way of starting a Model S without the key fob, but given how security always eventually falls to hackers, it’s just a matter of time.

Read Full Article Here

I think it is funny how they said this guy "found" the location/unlocking single factor vulnerability...Geez, it's part of the remote smartphone app, so if it was any more obvious it would have hit him in the head...

That's like saying I found my internet connection at home connects me...to the internet!!!

Just use a strong password (include numbers and special characters and at least 8 characters long) for your Tesla account and don't worry about it. This issue is overblown.

Or alternatively

password_strength.png

(One for every occasion).