TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anti-Tesla Gibberish

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by bonnie, Apr 22, 2012.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#161 vfx, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. FalconNinetyD

FalconNinetyD Active Member

Writing a comment now...

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I e-mailed the editor but doubt it'll help

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Well stated, dsm. You and Robert would make a heck of a team at somewhere like Consumer Reports. Hopefully you both will take that as the intended compliment, whether or not you like Consumer Reports. :)

5. FalconNinetyD

FalconNinetyD Active Member

#165 FalconNinetyD, Aug 26, 2012
    My comment to the article is on their site as well. Good job on your response dsm363.

(Edit: Well, my comment was there for a minute. Either it takes a few minutes to get published, or someone there didn't like it and took it down). Pasted here:

6. dsm363

Thanks brianman and mcornwell.

Great response as well, mcornwell. I didn't write my comment correctly about the 6,000 per day on the Prism so glad you wrote it a little more carefully. I'd e-mail your post to the editor as well since it's very well written.

I love the comments section on articles like these. Says a lot about the readership.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Tesla has no "dealerships" they have "stores" modeled on Apple's stores (they even hired the same guy) They have service centers and "rangers" who after remotely diagnosing an owner's car, drive a van outfitted with tools and parts to owners that are not in major metropolitan areas.

Gasoline cars conk out when you run them dry too. After 300 miles and 5 hours of driving do you want to drive another 100 miles? just plug in for another hour. You only take a break as long as it takes to fill for your next segment of driving.

Tesla's batteries are heated (and cooled) for all environments. Their best sales (thanks to local taxes) are in chilly Norway.

Other quotes from Car and Driver, "the crisply refurbished production hall with its army of... red-painted robots ",

"
    , the more-made-in-America-than-most-“American”-cars Model S ",

"
    The 362-hp Signature model we drove, priced at $96,570 before a $7500 federal tax rebate, strained its leash with its prodigious electric muscles and flat-tracked through 80-mph sweepers directed by fast steering with piano-wire tension to the wheels. It pounced from an on-ramp like the jaguar on the hood of the Jaguars it resembles, hitting 100 mph with a whisper of electromotive acceleration."

8. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

Maybe a coincidence, but it appears only the comments praising the article are published.

From their 'contact us' page:

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#169 vfx, Aug 26, 2012
  10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

All of reading this column has probably tripled the hits on this website. Canton OH is an unimportant, failing city in the rustbelt. (I grew up in Columbus OH and have lots of clients in Akron, so this isn't just blowing smoke.) Good to send the editors these notes, but it's not worth stressing over.

11. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Yours are better, but another one that will probably get deleted:

So many inaccuracies I'm not sure where to begin. First, the car starts at $57,400--not inexpensive to be sure, but considering it is positioned against the BMW 5 Series and stacks up extremely well against that car (considering ALL of the reviews out there, not just the 10 minute one you cited), fair. I'm sure you'd like the car to cost a nickle and run on water, but new technology doesn't work that way. Second, Tesla does not have a demand problem--they have over 12k reservations for this car, and only plan to make 5k this year. You may think they'll have a problem selling out 20k next year, but having driven it, I don't. Third, the $465 million is a loan, and the government will be getting their money back. Fourth, I've toured the factory, and the car is assembled by very red robots, and if you had taken even a few minutes to watch the videos on their website, you'd have known that. Last, I'm not sure why you have so much hate for American manufacturing, but I'm glad someone is out there trying to innovate rather than cede yet another industry to the Chinese or Germans. Elon Musk is almost single-handedly reinventing American manufacturing while the rest of us sit on our hands. Personally I don't have much respect for those that sit around and take easy potshots at others while they try to change the world.

12. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

We'll see if mine gets through the blockade:

I find it sad that Mr. Hillbish has chosen to bash an American company making an American product and employing American workers. And why? Because they had the audacity to take out a loan ($465 million) from the federal government. Other companies that took loans from the government: General Motors ($49.5 Billion), Ford ($4 Billion from the same loan program as Tesla), and Chrysler ($12.5 Billion which they are still $1.5 Billion short on and will likely never pay back). And Tesla's loan has been guaranteed payback by the CEO. Has any of the CEO's of the banks paid back any of the money they lost? No? I wish Mr. Hillbush would get some information from places other than talk show hosts with axes to grind. Their information has an agenda and is usually inaccurate. What Mr. Hillbush has written is very inaccurate and his agenda is very clear.

13. strider

strider Active Member

14. bonnie

bonnie I play a nice person on twitter.

People in Canton, OH vote. Same with all small towns, everywhere. It's a shame they are being influenced by someone like this.

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model X 2019

"A Man Who Knows Everything".

That makes me think of Rush and his "Excellence in Broadcasting".

16. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

You know, with reviews like this I am fine with the author having his own opinions of the car. But he should lay it out just as that, opinions. It should also be filled with relevant and ACCURATE information. If he wants to be jaded about the 57,400 price point, that's fair. But, I guess that's what everyone here has pointed out in their DELETED comments. Journalism like this is a shame when your deleting comments.

I will say this about Peterson, who we all know and love. At LEAST he doesn't delete comments and actively combats them, albeit perhaps with failed logic.

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Well you can't really give Petersen credit for that. He cannot delete comments from articles published on Seeking Alpha, he can only whine and complain about them enough until the site mods delete them, which he has done. He also got me banned from commenting on his articles, even though the mods admitted none of my posts were offensive, but they just got tired of hearing his complaints, and he brings page views.

18. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

19. dsm363

20. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I got a reply from one of the editors from a paper that picked up the article (yes, I emailed every editor that picked it up):
    Could you please let me know about the errors you have found in this story?

This comes to us through a feed from our corporate entity and I don't have control over corrections or commmenting. However, I can forward the information to someone who can correct it for reders[sic] throughout the network.

Thank you

Ron Johns
    Managing Editor
    Observer-Dispatch, 221 Oriskany Plaza, Utica, NY 13501
    315-792-5008

I replied with this: