Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Tesla service bill hearing is imminent-- the latest from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
HERE IS THE LATEST FROM TESLA ABOUT SB 1415- HEARING COULD BE AS EARLY AS THIS THURSDAY. THEY NEED PEOPLE TO BE READY TO ATTEND IN AUSTIN IN 12 HRS OR LESS NOTICE

We expect Senate Bill 1415 will be set for a committee hearing soon, and wanted to provide an overview of a typical hearing format and details. The hearing details are TBD, but this will help our club members be prepared once they are released. Feel free to share this information!

We will need as many Tesla owners and enthusiasts and family and friends there to express opposition to the bill’s potential impact on service centers. Wear your Tesla gear!

We will have Tesla staff on hand to walk you through this process the day of the hearing.

· The Senate Business and Commerce committee meets Tuesdays (and sometimes Thursdays) of each week beginning at 8:00am. The meetings are at the State Capitol, and the room location will be released once the agenda is officially posted. Once details are made official, we will send more information about where to go.

· The committee will generally provide a few days’ notice of the hearing, but the chairman can suspend the rules and add the bill to a hearing agenda as late as the day before; we may not have a lot of notice and need to be prepared.

· During the hearing, the chairman can call a bill from the agenda in any order, so even if SB 1415 is set first, it’s possible it could be called up last. We hope you can plan to stay most of the day.

· Alternatively, you may register your opposition for the record, in the event you have to leave before our bill is called.

· You can obtain a witness registration form from the committee clerk the day of the hearing, and note your choice to either testify, or just register your opposition for the record.

· The author of the bill (in this case the chairman) will offer introductory remarks to the members of the committee, followed by public testimony on the bill.

· People wanting to testify will have three minutes to express their opposition to the bill before the committee. After, the committee members may ask questions of the witness, or they may dismiss him/her and call the next person.

· Passion is great but keep in mind remarks given before the committee should be respectful and polite in content and tone.

If you have questions or need additional information, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Thanks for your support!

-Karen

Karen Steakley | Manager, Business Development and Policy

THE HEARING ON SB 1415 WAS JUST SCHEDULED FOR THIS THURSDAY, APRIL 4, AT 8:00 AM. It will be in the Capitol underground extension, room E1.016. Public testimony will be limited to 3 minutes per speaker.

ALL HANDS ON DECK! The more speakers the better, but even if you’re up don’t want to speak, come to show your opposition to the bill.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I can drive down and make it.

Can anyone familiar tell me where I'll need to go for parking and where E1.016 is in relation?
The easiest place to park is the Capitol visitors garage (12th and San Jacinto). It’s less than a five minute walk into the Capitol east entrance. At the rotunda head towards the north side of the building and take the elevator down to floor E1. Follow the corridor into the underground Capitol extension. Here is a map which shows the hearing room E1.016 on page 3:
https://tspb.texas.gov/plan/maps/doc/capitol_building_maps/capitol_building_guide.pdf

You will need to sign up to speak. They might use the electronic registration system ( a kiosk is around the corner to the right) or the might use card signup which will be on the table in the back of the room.

These detailed directions are because I just got home from testifying against the EV tax bills at the Transportation committee hearing in that same room. They used the card signup but apparently each committee is different. Nothing will happen this session with the EV tax bills by the way— they’ll go to a study committee before the next session in 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and SpiceWare
Hello all! I work for Smart Charge America and our owner is at the capitol today, and will be there again tomorrow. He can be very intense when he's talking about protecting EVs, and hopefully they will take into consideration other local Texas businesses that benefit from Tesla.

Reactions: SpiceWare
I think people should still go if they can/want? I would like to see the updated text.

If it was changed, then you can change your speaking time to be more thanking for changing or something along the lines. Maybe plant seeds about direct sales (ha, don't expect that to change though).