Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-theft and security features on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
What features will the Model 3 have to prevent it being stolen, or if it is, to shut it down remotely? I believe the Model S can be shut down from a phone app.

I'd like to see some sort of 4 to 6 digit ignition lock code on the touchscreen, like in The Transporter movies.

Does having the key fob away from the car disable it completely?

Reactions: Jayc
No one wants to type in a code to start their car.

Every Tesla can be stolen with a basic technique...

step 1: Knock out owner while he's at a supercharger
step 2: Grab key fob and cell phone from owner and place owner in trunk or frunk depending on the size of the owner
step 3: Drive to your heart's desire or until you run out of juice... or until the owner wakes up and tries to crawl to the front of the car, doh!
step 4: Open trunk/frunk and give owner back his stuff and thank him for the joyride.

(you might be considerate and stop at another supercharger so he can charge up again and so you can wait for the next victim.. err passenger)

There's not really a market for spare Tesla parts so there's no reason to keep it and/or have it report its location. You can always use a jammer though to prevent cell, wifi, and/or gps.

Last edited:
You can remotely lock/unlock a Model X from the app, or honk the horn, flash the lights, or even start the car without the fob present. You can track its current location, including speed (it's pretty cool - sometimes I forget I'm not looking at a live satellite tracking my car). You cannot turn off the car remotely. I'm under the impression that you can call up Tesla to do just that, but haven't ever specifically asked anyone at Tesla, nor have any guess on what sort of identity verification would be required to do so (MyTesla password? Owner info? Credit check questions?).

There were couple of Model S's stolen in Germany recently. Online access to those cars is blocked by the thieves and they haven't been recovered yet. This is just to emphasize that the phone app isn't omnipresent or omnipotence.

Two Tesla Model S cars were recently stolen in Europe and it’s puzzling the owners

Mind you, this isn't exactly a Tesla issue, all sorts of cars can be, and are being, stolen by criminals.

OP's idea about "pin to start" wouldn't be too horrible assuming that it would be optional. Say, if you are going on a road-trip abroad you can activate it. But for every day driving it might get old real quick.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
There were couple of Model S's stolen in Germany recently. Online access to those cars is blocked by the thieves and they haven't been recovered yet. This is just to emphasize that the phone app isn't omnipresent or omnipotence.

Two Tesla Model S cars were recently stolen in Europe and it’s puzzling the owners

Mind you, this isn't exactly a Tesla issue, all sorts of cars can be, and are being, stolen by criminals.

OP's idea about "pin to start" wouldn't be too horrible assuming that it would be optional. Say, if you are going on a road-trip abroad you can activate it. But for every day driving it might get old real quick.

I wonder whether there is a security weakness where it is relatively easy to disable (or destroy) the RF unit in which case all communication with the vehicle will be lost.

When we visited our local Tesla dealer, they mentioned that Model S has a much better tracking system than most 3rd party trackers but again, I wonder whether its operation is dependent upon the main car communication channel being operational.

I also like the idea of a PIN, it is yet another layer of security that will help.

I wonder whether there is a security weakness where it is relatively easy to disable (or destroy) the RF unit in which case all communication with the vehicle will be lost.
it's called signal jammer.
the problem is: you need to continue jamming the signal, or keep in isolated enviroment.. until of course you open the car and change/destroy/detach the chip, and of course you end up with a car with no gps signal / no connection etc.
Of course there are ways to get again the gps signal etc.. but it really need some engineering, like putting inside a new chip, routing the packed sent from the machine to another server or similar

Apparently there is SIM-extender on EU models which make removing the SIM-card very simple (at least compared to US models where it is borderline impossible as I've been told).

Reactions: Jayc
Having a PIN style lock code makes complete sense to me. It should be able to be disabled for daily driving, of course, but enabled when wanted, like on a long highway cross country trip. No code, car does not work. Plus, it was cool in the Transporter movies. ;)

Better yet, have a few codes programmed, in case someone tries to get it out of you. One code works normally, the other codes alert Tesla to call the cops down on your location.

I think the antenna is in the side mirror of the car. Just remove the side mirror and Tesla will have no way to contact it?

On the other and, I think there was a similar case earlier where the car was stolen and no one was able to locate it until it was plugged into an supercharger. Then Tesla saw where it was (it does report the VIN to the supercharger) and contacted the police who recovered the car.

I'm surprised that if the car is off grid for a very long time (say +30 days), there is not something required to keep the car enabled to drive; like a code or something. If you own the car, I guess it would be your right to not have it on grid as long as you want, but why would you? Maybe a user option that if off grid for longer than a set period some sort of authentication/code/password is required for it to keep being able to drive? :confused:

Having a PIN style lock code makes complete sense to me. It should be able to be disabled for daily driving, of course, but enabled when wanted, like on a long highway cross country trip. No code, car does not work. Plus, it was cool in the Transporter movies. ;)

Better yet, have a few codes programmed, in case someone tries to get it out of you. One code works normally, the other codes alert Tesla to call the cops down on your location.
Have it set so it requires pin unless it's in a set location like home or work or whatever and so it automatically requires a pin unless it's at home.

They should add in easy to use biometric ID like facial recognition. If it can't just recognize you then it can ask for the code.
Might as well add a DNA sequencer too and maybe something that senses epigenetic changes so an identical twin can't drive it off....

As a side feature the car will check your insulin levels and cholesterol. For the higher end models owned by old rich guys it'll check PSA levels. ;)

Reactions: Bennny
Might as well add a DNA sequencer too and maybe something that senses epigenetic changes so an identical twin can't drive it off....

As a side feature the car will check your insulin levels and cholesterol. For the higher end models owned by old rich guys it'll check PSA levels. ;)
Don't forget blood alcohol levels too, and it wont let you take over manually when yours is too high, it'll just drive you home and tuck you in when it gets you there.