TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anti-Theft Device - documents for insurance

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by alset, Jan 22, 2013.

1. alset

alset Member

My insurance company (Arbella) is giving me a 20% discount but will give up to 36% discount for further documentation of anti-theft devices or Vehicle Recovery systems. For example, I gave details of the LoJack-like capability built into my BMW and I got further discount there.

Are there any such capabilities and in particular documents available from Tesla in this regard?

I also noticed they have a discount of 10% for Electric/Hybrid and Passive Restraint which they omitted. Will get that fixed...

Arbella discounts are explained here but I suspect the documents would apply to most/all insurance companies.
    http://fls.arbella.com/communications/Arbella_AutoCheatSheet_032008.pdf

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The car is tracked by Tesla, so they could report its position. Right now they don't really have a "find my car" procedure though.

3. alset

alset Member

Yeah, the capability is there (and we can track it soon) but I really need a document from Tesla so there is something credible from the insurance company. I'll ask Tesla if it's not already out there circulating.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Is this something that's dependent on subscribing to a data plan I wonder? I know with OnStar they got into a bit of trouble when people found out that they could continue to track cars even if the customer let their subscription lapse. So with OnStar it's technically possible (without a plan) but they changed their TOS to stop doing it. The reason I bring up OnStar is because it's cellular based just like the Model S.

5. joepruitt

joepruitt Seattle Sig Red #497

The mobile iPhone/Android app does have a "find my car" feature. There's a tab in the UI where a map comes up and shows the car as it does on the navigation in the car. If the car is moving, details about the speed along with a real-time update of the car moving is shown. It's pretty slick.

6. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

If you're able to get documentation, I will be really interested to hear about it. I would like to give the same info to my insurance company and see if I can get additional discounts.

7. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I am interested in such documentation as well for my insurance company.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

My final MVPA had a 'connectivity' section that said that Tesla can keep a data/cellular connection to your car and pull data at any time. It even went so far as to say that you had to notify Tesla if you stop your data/cellular plan to your car so that they can restart theirs.

9. alset

alset Member

Emailed ownership. Will post an update on what happens.

10. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

For the Alarm I read somewhere that it will sound the horn if the doors/trunk/frunk are opened by a non-standard means. don't know that much more about it.

11. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

With regards to tracking the vehicle with the app...

It will be interesting to see if someone can foil this by turning remote app access off via the 17" display (option added in 4.0 I believe). Granted most car thieves aren't going to know about this setting, but it would be nice to have to use a passcode to enable/disable remote access.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was trying to remember where I read this. It was in the Release Notes:
    Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

13. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I've just received a letter from my insurance company (21st Century) saying they will remove the theft recovery discount unless I provide proof of a theft recovery system.

Anyone have any luck with this? Would seem stupid to buy a Lojack when the car can already be located by Tesla.

I'm figuring I'll send a copy of the data services agreement and screen shots of locating via the app unless I can get anything more from Tesla.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

One problem with relying on the mobile app to locate the car is that a savvy thief can disable remote access. This is a setting that should require a PIN or password to modify.

15. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Can a thief access the screen without the keyfob being present?

16. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

That's exactly the requirement I made last week to my service representative... hope they will implement something.

17. retinadoc

retinadoc Member

Perhaps a silly question. Can Tesla remotely disable the car? it would be quite the theft deterrent if you could not only locate the car but also temporarily brick it.

18. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

No, but ... how did the thief steal the car in the first place? If he's spoofed the keyfob, then he can access the screen. If she's physically towed the car (hopefully flat-bed), then by smashing a window she could pop the frunk manually and then cut the 12v cables, which would also disable remote tracking. I can't think of any other ways to steal a Model S -- you certainly can't "hot wire" it!

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

My insurance company is also asking for documentation to prove the anti-theft device

20. alset

alset Member

Please make sure you're talking with ownership about the needs, ideally send them a copy of the letter from your insurance company.