Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anti-Theft Device - documents for insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My insurance company (Arbella) is giving me a 20% discount but will give up to 36% discount for further documentation of anti-theft devices or Vehicle Recovery systems. For example, I gave details of the LoJack-like capability built into my BMW and I got further discount there.

Are there any such capabilities and in particular documents available from Tesla in this regard?

I also noticed they have a discount of 10% for Electric/Hybrid and Passive Restraint which they omitted. Will get that fixed...

Arbella discounts are explained here but I suspect the documents would apply to most/all insurance companies.
http://fls.arbella.com/communications/Arbella_AutoCheatSheet_032008.pdf

Yeah, the capability is there (and we can track it soon) but I really need a document from Tesla so there is something credible from the insurance company. I'll ask Tesla if it's not already out there circulating.

Yeah, the capability is there (and we can track it soon) but I really need a document from Tesla so there is something credible from the insurance company. I'll ask Tesla if it's not already out there circulating.

Is this something that's dependent on subscribing to a data plan I wonder? I know with OnStar they got into a bit of trouble when people found out that they could continue to track cars even if the customer let their subscription lapse. So with OnStar it's technically possible (without a plan) but they changed their TOS to stop doing it. The reason I bring up OnStar is because it's cellular based just like the Model S.

Is this something that's dependent on subscribing to a data plan I wonder? I know with OnStar they got into a bit of trouble when people found out that they could continue to track cars even if the customer let their subscription lapse. So with OnStar it's technically possible (without a plan) but they changed their TOS to stop doing it. The reason I bring up OnStar is because it's cellular based just like the Model S.

My final MVPA had a 'connectivity' section that said that Tesla can keep a data/cellular connection to your car and pull data at any time. It even went so far as to say that you had to notify Tesla if you stop your data/cellular plan to your car so that they can restart theirs.

With regards to tracking the vehicle with the app...

It will be interesting to see if someone can foil this by turning remote app access off via the 17" display (option added in 4.0 I believe). Granted most car thieves aren't going to know about this setting, but it would be nice to have to use a passcode to enable/disable remote access.

For the Alarm I read somewhere that it will sound the horn if the doors/trunk/frunk are opened by a non-standard means. don't know that much more about it.
I was trying to remember where I read this. It was in the Release Notes:
Alarm - Model S alarm system will sound the horn if any door, trunk or frunk of a locked car is mechanically opened by a non-standard means. The alarm system can be turned on or off via the setting in Controls > Settings > Vehicle
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I've just received a letter from my insurance company (21st Century) saying they will remove the theft recovery discount unless I provide proof of a theft recovery system.

Anyone have any luck with this? Would seem stupid to buy a Lojack when the car can already be located by Tesla.

I'm figuring I'll send a copy of the data services agreement and screen shots of locating via the app unless I can get anything more from Tesla.

Can a thief access the screen without the keyfob being present?
No, but ... how did the thief steal the car in the first place? If he's spoofed the keyfob, then he can access the screen. If she's physically towed the car (hopefully flat-bed), then by smashing a window she could pop the frunk manually and then cut the 12v cables, which would also disable remote tracking. I can't think of any other ways to steal a Model S -- you certainly can't "hot wire" it!