Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticipated Y handling vs 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to EVs but have demoed the 3 and the S. I’ve got a Y on order and am debating which model will make the most sense for me. I am trying to determine whether the Y or the 3 makes the most sense. I live in Denver and go skiing in the mnts fairly often (200 mile round trip), so driving in the snow and ice are relevant (I will purchase snow tires). I liked the handling of the 3 but thinking that the extra inch clearance expected on the Y has would be useful. I could also get an S (putting price aside for this discussion) which would be better for range and clearance, but it’s awfully big for my purposes. So, is it expected that the Y will have basically the same handling as the 3 or will it feel like a more top-heavy SUV.

If you go skiing a lot, I would imagine that the 3 independently-folding rear seats would work out very well for you if you have 4 passengers.

As for handling, I can't imagine the Y being all that different in handling than the 3. Maybe a slight movement upward in its center of gravity but not anything that'll be too noticeable.

Same general thoughts as the others that the Model Y. That with the center of gravity so low it will handle very well for being a CUV/SUV. My estimate is that it will handle on par with respectable ICE cars (a4, c class, etc) while being a class and usability size up as a CUV/SUV. Which is amazing handling for a vehicle in that class and still "quite good" in the absolute sense.

Reactions: iustin
Ok. I have a ‘20 M3LR and I bought my GF a ‘21 MYLR. The 3 feels by far more sporty in the sense of it feels that it reacts more quickly, feels faster, etc. However, personal preference is the Y is overall winner. It’s SO much quieter than the 3 on the highway, we rarely take the 3 on trips or use it on the weekends as I just prefer the Y.

However, my analysis is 3 is more fun to drive and nearly as practical for hauling stuff/dog on the weekend. But we have a 90 pound greyhound that needs to be able to be transported and that’s a priority. If I’m going to the gym I take the 3. Going on a road trip - Model Y - all day.

BTW - There use to be an argument to be made about automated rear hatch and heated steering wheel are standard on the Y versus not even available on the 3. Not sure if that’s still the case, but the experts here can help out with that.

I would suggest they do drive differently enough that it could potentially be a buying decision for purist driving enthusiast folks. M3LR is a slightly more sporty feel vs MYLR, may have less features for similar dollars. Order MYP to get the car sooner, just slightly more practical on road with kids and/or large dogs.

I actually have two MYPs on order to replace both cars (hopefully) delivering in October. I’d say order the MYP instead of the 3. Doing this gives you plenty of performance, you jump to the front of order queue, and the rear hatch is a good all around configuration.

Reactions: GlockWorkOrnge
My 2022 M3 (RWD) has a heated steering wheel and power trunk. The M3 is much sportier feeling when driving.

MY 2020 AWD MY handles very well and is much easier to get in and out of. The higher seats are more comfortable on trips, and having room under the seats for bins is nice. The rear seat room is also far superior. I prefer the MY. My son prefers the M3.

I would go for the Y. Like others have said, the low center of gravity affects handling the most so the difference is minimal between 3 and Y in that regard. Very little body roll in the Y to begin with. But you'll definitely want those winter tires... the OEM ones are absolute trash in the snow. It gets squirrelly if you even think about a snow cone in its general direction.
You get more clearance with the Y which I imagine will be helpful and since it is a hatchback (which also has independently folding rear seats) you have a bit more flexibility and ease of use when it comes to positioning your skiis/equipment.

This thread is old; but just for reference there is a similar thread HERE.

The other thread is not identical, as it was about the Performance versions, and I assume this thread is not...so the handling differences (and there ARE differences, as noted in the other thread) might be less likely to be encountered and valued. As I noted in the other thread, if you are driving the cars sedately, you may never notice a difference at all.

I switched from a 3 to a Y about 6 months ago. The Y has numerous utilitarian advantages that will make it a better choice for many...but I do still miss the 3's handling.

Reactions: tm1v2
Ok. I have a ‘20 M3LR and I bought my GF a ‘21 MYLR. The 3 feels by far more sporty in the sense of it feels that it reacts more quickly, feels faster, etc. However, personal preference is the Y is overall winner. It’s SO much quieter than the 3 on the highway, we rarely take the 3 on trips or use it on the weekends as I just prefer the Y.

However, my analysis is 3 is more fun to drive and nearly as practical for hauling stuff/dog on the weekend. But we have a 90 pound greyhound that needs to be able to be transported and that’s a priority. If I’m going to the gym I take the 3. Going on a road trip - Model Y - all day.

BTW - There use to be an argument to be made about automated rear hatch and heated steering wheel are standard on the Y versus not even available on the 3. Not sure if that’s still the case, but the experts here can help out with that.

I would suggest they do drive differently enough that it could potentially be a buying decision for purist driving enthusiast folks. M3LR is a slightly more sporty feel vs MYLR, may have less features for similar dollars. Order MYP to get the car sooner, just slightly more practical on road with kids and/or large dogs.

I actually have two MYPs on order to replace both cars (hopefully) delivering in October. I’d say order the MYP instead of the 3. Doing this gives you plenty of performance, you jump to the front of order queue, and the rear hatch is a good all around configuration.
You will love the MYP. I came to it from a M3 as well. Such a nice upgrade.