Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticipating Dual Charger with Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you install two 14-50s but only wire/breaker each one to provide 20amps?
Don't think so because it goes by rating of 40 for the 14-50 I believe. Not to mention if I want to charge at 40 for one car I wouldn't be able to if that was allowed... looking at the chargepoint I at least cnn charge both per code at 20 during the night and during day I can charge 1 at 40 as needed and still be within code. Surprised no one here has looked at this option?

Don't think so because it goes by rating of 40 for the 14-50 I believe. Not to mention if I want to charge at 40 for one car I wouldn't be able to if that was allowed... looking at the chargepoint I at least cnn charge both per code at 20 during the night and during day I can charge 1 at 40 as needed and still be within code. Surprised no one here has looked at this option?

Do you have a link to the product? I'm unfamiliar with it.

Well I learned something new today!

I could fill this with a bunch of caveats, but that's the spirit of the law. :)

For example, it's legal to install a 14-50 on a 40-amp circuit for an electric range with a 40A nameplate. It's legal to install a 6-50 for a welder with a 30A breaker for an arc welder because of its nameplate. But in this case, the nameplate rating for the UMC with a 14-50 adapter is 40A continuous load (50A required circuit rating).

No, would have an issue with going over the amps I believe... I actually think the one he recommended is CHARGEPOINT CT4023 WALL MOUNT, DOUBLE. Waiting for quote.. This one is commercial but allows for two Teslas to charge at different rates from max of 40 for 1.

Well now that's an interesting notion. I'd never seen one like that. I hope it's not hideously expensive.

My car gets delivered Tuesday the 29th (Merry Christmas to me) and the Wall Connector is installed on a 80 amp circuit the day before. I'm not super happy about having conduit running the length and then up the wall but there is no choice. It is a exterior block wall and code requires conduit for that amount of service. No big deal. The garage is basically ready to roll. I'll take pictures on Monday after the installation.

Last edited:
Agreed. If it costs close to have utility upgraded then it makes no sense in the long run.

I remember seeing posts of people installing the HWPC on a lower breaker (e.g. 40A Breaker). Can you not find an electrician to install the HWPC on a 40A breaker and set the dip switches accordingly? Did your electricians know that the HWPC can be set at various amps?

I remember seeing posts of people installing the HWPC on a lower breaker (e.g. 40A Breaker). Can you not find an electrician to install the HWPC on a 40A breaker and set the dip switches accordingly? Did your electricians know that the HWPC can be set at various amps?

Yes...but I'm installing the higher amp service because if I decide in the future to add the second charger to the car then I'm ready to roll. The difference in wiring, conduit, breaker and installation is negligible so why not. Sure it can be installed on a lower breaker but why bother if the cost is really no different is my point.

Am I the only one confused why a thread about dual chargers is in the Model X subforum? There are no dual chargers for Model X. Only 48 amp standard single charger or a hidden option for a 72 amp charger which cannot be added after production.

I'm confused here. I was told if you go by code and I install a hwpc which is manufactured for 80A it will fail my load test and I can only install 1 40A NEMA. So even though u can set the hwpc to lower amps it won't pass code. Unless u know something different?

I'm confused here. I was told if you go by code and I install a hwpc which is manufactured for 80A it will fail my load test and I can only install 1 40A NEMA. So even though u can set the hwpc to lower amps it won't pass code. Unless u know something different?

If you have room in your load calculations for a NEMA 14-50, you can install an HPWC configured for a 50A circuit. The two are equivalent. You must go by the maximum current for which the HPWC is installer-configured, NOT the setting of the car.

That said, I have heard the occasional report of inspectors failing installations of HPWC's at lower currents because they're confused about the multiple-current nameplates. Their argument is that the device is rated for 100A circuit, therefore it must be installed on a 100A circuit. They are neglecting that there are multiple nameplate ratings for the HPWC.

This is the same as many new portable hot tubs - these hot tubs come with installer-configurable settings of 40A, 50A, and 60A. The difference is that these hot tub manufacturers have a multi-current nameplate.

If you have room in your load calculations for a NEMA 14-50, you can install an HPWC configured for a 50A circuit. The two are equivalent. You must go by the maximum current for which the HPWC is installer-configured, NOT the setting of the car.

That said, I have heard the occasional report of inspectors failing installations of HPWC's at lower currents because they're confused about the multiple-current nameplates. Their argument is that the device is rated for 100A circuit, therefore it must be installed on a 100A circuit. They are neglecting that there are multiple nameplate ratings for the HPWC.

This is the same as many new portable hot tubs - these hot tubs come with installer-configurable settings of 40A, 50A, and 60A. The difference is that these hot tub manufacturers have a multi-current nameplate.
Ok so the nameplate for the hpwc says which 100A or 50A or both? I'd get the hpwc just for the fact I'll have to upgrade utilities when I'm able too one day but as I said I was told it wouldn't pass inspection. So any suggestions on how to accomplish this is appreciated as well as my 2nd problem when I get the Model x of charging it since I'll only have one outlet because of my utilities issue.