Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anticlockwise Adventure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I've had Tessie for 7 weeks it's time for a big adventure!

This Sunday, John (friend) and I are heading up to Cairns and Darwin and, IF (big if) we still get on, and we haven't hit too many roos and we're still on time, we'll press on down the coast to Perth, taking advantage of Blue Heaven's nice charging route (thanks for your tips and encouragement Blue), then back via the Nullabor and MDK's nice charging route. What are our chances?? That would make a neat anticlockwise loop. The finish would actually be the Richmond Supercharger after my Melb coast trip earlier in July. We're allowing 7 weeks so we would have to keep moving!

We have 13 ways of harvesting electrons - are we overprepared? I hate the idea of getting stuck!
DC: Supercharger, Chademo
AC 3ph: 32A, HPWC, Type 2, 20A, 10A
AC 1ph: 32A, J1772, twin 15A, twin 10A, single 15A, single 10A

Hopefully we can contribute by filling in some of the charging gap across the top of Aust.

Aust Charging.png

It would be great to catch up with keen Tesla people en route and exchange ideas. Feel free to reply or PM.

I will be in Brissie Monday night and would be most happy to shout a drink or two in return for a few Qld travelling tips if you can make the short notice!

To REALLY complete the trip (and assuming we make it round in the first place) we'll need to do Tassie as well, but after a bit of a break!

Will keep you posted with progress as it happens ...

Cheers Richard

Last edited:
I'm very much looking forward to regular updates of this journey around Australia, without doubt the power supply is in place, without doubt your 90D has the best combination of options for good range, and having the Octopus will be a cut downtime when only 15 amp is available.
Climate wise you've picked the best time of year to travel across the top end, although you may be squeezed in at campsites by Southern Grey Nomads chasing the Sun.
There's going to be times when you walk into a location and ask for 3 phase power to charge your electric car, they'll give you the look like you've just landed from outer space or worse still escaped from the local institution, there's going to be times when your sitting in a roadhouse having a coffee 500 miles from nowhere and some guy walks in and announces " there's a bloody Tesla electric car parked outside, I never thought I'd see the day" and everyone looks at each other saying "what's a Tesla?"
There's going to be times when you meet a kid who's an absolute Tesla junkie, and its now the best day of his life, and his parents are ever grateful to you because even though they have no idea what a Tesla is "that damn kid of ours hasnt smiled for the past two weeks of this holiday"
There also may be the time when you come across that one person, the one who thinks electric cars are evil, he read it online at RWNJ daily, he knows what the car is and it shouldn't be there, "this is a city car boy, it doesn't belong here", no need to say a word, just enjoy the moment.

Amazing adventure, keep us posted, look forward to catching up when you get to Melbourne
OMG! Now this is a road trip. Sounds like you've planned well. Now enjoy and lots of piccies please!
PS. Always up for a catchup and drink. My shout.
Thanks Novatec and Apal. Really looking forward to catching up in Melb.

Only one supercharger on the anticlockwise Syd - Mel route, so timing TBA !

Last edited:
A few more piccies from the adventure, now that we're in Townsville with good internet after our beachfront paradise interlude.

Is this a wildlife bridge (near Coffs Harbour) ?
20160808_075025.jpg

No explanation needed here...
20160808_081535.jpg

Clarence River ferry diversion
20160808_092819_001.jpg

UQ Chademo in Brissie - our last DC charge before Perth!
20160808_194619.jpg

Cool vehicles at Latronics on the Sunshine Coast. Pick the Tesla Roadster, Outlander PHEV charging, Tessie charging and a white Prius in the background.
20160809_102836~01.jpg

3 phase boards as far as the eye can see at Maryborough Showgrounds. They are OK to let you charge, but don't want to go on Plugshare as they are often closed or booked for scout camps etc and don't want people to over-depend on them.
20160809_160156~01.jpg

How about that !
20160809_172057~01.jpg

Will keep posting!

Fabulous idea. Loving the photos and commentary.
How fast could you conceivably drive to cairns from brisbane if you pushed it?

Which i know is not the point of EV driving but i need to let my sister know to end an argument on ice v ev we had last december.